Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Overclock Button On Laptop

I just noticed a feature on the new laptop that I thought was neat. maybe it's been around awhile as I haven't bought new equipment for a long time.
This button overclocks the CPU automtically from 2.4G to 3.2----numbers may be a bit off----forgot the specs. It's got a I-7 2670QM.
MSI has a overclocking tool for the GPU also. Pretty well a quick change to a slider to overclock. GTX 570M
Then there is nother button on the laptop to jack up the fan speed.
Ocing has changed a lot in the last 5-7 years. Kind of takes the interest out of it.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

It's no longer an art form, but accessible to more people and faster/easier to get stable. And that ruins your interest?

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Rifleman

It is just going at Max Turbo Frequency. Which it will and should be stable on.

»ark.intel.com/products/53469/Int···_20-GHz)
Max Turbo Frequency 3.1 GHz

It shouldn't kill your pc at all. You still in the safe zone. If you were to go 3.6Ghz and up.... Welcome to my world.

I would not recommend going pass Max Turbo Frequency for a laptop.

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
reply to Rifleman

Its more like of the turbo button old PCs had.
Affordable unlocked CPUs is what made "overclocking so easy even your grandma can do it!"

mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC
reply to Rifleman

I know on Asus notebooks it was better to let Intel control the cpu speed with Turbo Boost. Using the overclock button would actually hinder performance because it turned the built-in intel feature off.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to Rifleman

It seems to be a fast machine for a laptop. Fooling with some benchmarks.
Cinebench gave it:
Open Gl Test: 5488 stock and turboed 6173
Single CPU: 4974 and turboed 5233
Multi CPU: 18244 and 18356

3DMark06: 17305 and 18331 turboed.
The heat got a little high folding on the GPU so had to stop with the folding at home.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Rifleman

How is it bad that ocing has gotten easier? It lets you get more bang for your buck, and gives you a computer that will remain useful longer, with much less effort. Heck its gotten so popular that even AMD released black edition cpus with unlocked multipliers(like intel's K series) making OCing easier, and less stressful, for all.

Plus your LT's overclock is just the turbo boost intel puts on their cpus, but asus uses that button to set it to that at all times when the button i pushed.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to FizzyMyNizzy

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

It shouldn't kill your pc at all. You still in the safe zone. If you were to go 3.6Ghz and up.... Welcome to my world.

I'm thinking its a power saving feature for when you aren't doing something computationally intensive.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
google this "(sqrt(cos(x))*cos(200*x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.7)*(4-x*x)^0.01, sqrt(9-x^2), -sqrt(9-x^2)"

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by AVD:

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

I'm thinking its a power saving feature for when you aren't doing something computationally intensive.

Yep, but since OP seems like he want to overclock it, 3.1Ghz is still a safe zone for him.