Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Wish judge Greene was hearing the case

He'd split them into two companies, one for infrastructure (lines, modems, backhaul) and another for the ISP portion (content, email, servers). Todays internet service providers are behaving the same way that AT&T/Bell System did when they controlled the telephone network in the 1960's.

The AT&T divestiture led to more innovation (cell phones, fax machines, etc) and cheaper rates (pay one price unlimited long distance). If judge Greene would have never broke up AT&T, we'd still be renting their rotary telephones and paying exhorbanent long distance rates.
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
said by IowaCowboy:

If judge Greene would have never broke up AT&T, we'd still be renting their rotary telephones and paying exhorbanent long distance rates.

And possibly everyone would have ubiquitous service on one of the most advanced networks in the world. The AT&T breakup was both good and bad. People seem to forget that sometimes.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to IowaCowboy
and then in about 30 - 40 years they'd be one company again.

And when that happened it did really nothing at the end. Like i said; they became one company, and Ameritech STILL owned ASI- which is the wholesale company. Which ATT owns now- and VZ still owns their's.

Applying the idea behind that to today's companies will NEVER work. people need to realize that there is a free market place and you are free to do what you wish if you want to compete. You can become a wholesale partner or build your own. Yet people still don't want that. They just want to complain.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to openbox9
I take it by possibility you mean the extremely small chance that a monopoly would innovate and progress technologically to provide better service while sacrificing profit. Hell, I think I would take the absolutely astronomical odds of no life, becoming life before going with your implied possibility.

Hell, look at AT&T now. They are almost a monopoly now and they don't do jack for their network which is why the are pretty much the furthest behind with fiber penetration and speed compared to any other major ISP.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
said by Skippy25:

I take it by possibility you mean the extremely small chance that a monopoly would innovate and progress technologically to provide better service while sacrificing profit.

So what exactly was AT&T doing for the first century of its existence?
said by Skippy25:

Hell, look at AT&T now. They are almost a monopoly now and they don't do jack for their network

As has been discussed several times, the current company is AT&T in name only.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
The first century of their existence they were pretty much given everything they had in tax breaks, incentives and monopoly profits. The only innovation they did was what was necessary to get additional customers and to lock them in so they can charge them what they wanted.

As of today.... they do not expand their market, they do not compete against Verizon or any other phone company in the wireline business NOR the ISP business and they haven't "innovated" anything other then Greed and stock jockeys in many moons.

Sure they may share the name only, but beyond being a fraction of the size they use to be, they are the same company mentality wise, innovation wise and consumer wise.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
said by Skippy25:

The only innovation they did was what was necessary to get additional customers and to lock them in so they can charge them what they wanted.

I suggest you do a little research.
said by Skippy25:

they do not compete against Verizon or any other phone company in the wireline business NOR the ISP business

Why should they? With exception of wireless, VZ and T aren't really competitors. Cable companies are their competitors.
said by Skippy25:

they are the same company mentality wise, innovation wise and consumer wise.

Negative.