Search similar:

uniqs
Expand your moderator at work

alienzzz
join:2011-02-17

alienzzz to jfmezei

to jfmezei

Re: CNOC R&V of CRTC 2011-703 and CRTC 2011-704

JF, got to take a look at your comments now... I know that if KvF were still there, he'd be going over the underlying concept of each question "vat do you mean 25 metrabytes... i sot you vere talking about 7 mumblehertz"... Wonder how Katz will deal with this now. Basically they'd want the principles behind every point re-explained in detail so the whole thing would drag on for months or years, which it well may.

The only thing I'd like to point out is that the VDSL modem issues/bugs haven't actually been brought before the CRTC yet, so either they'd want to know more or they will dismiss the point.

And essentially there are 2 different issues here.

One issue is that Bell uses pre-standard ikanos dslams as well as standard alcatel 7330 dslams for its VDSL service. (Kovy also mentioned there could be other less common variations).

Some folks in the TSI forum have found non-bell modem variations that can be purchased at retail and will work (more reliably on their end than bell hw) with a specific DSLAM variant, although I think the Ikanos version compatibility still hasn't been confirmed by them.

Bell ships the Cellpipe 7130 modems to wholesale customers. This modem seems to work with both Ikanos and Alcatel remotes. And here's the second problem.

The cellpipes shipped from bell come with different firmware revisions. It seems that bell recently started reflashing all the modems (locally and remotely) with the infamous v1.0.4.4R3WH firmware revision which seems to be compatible with both ikanos and alcatel dslams, however it is unstable and, from the reports, it causes random modem reboots and sync loss. This is purely a modem issue and has nothing to do with the DSLAM. People have noticed that the modem will reboot on its own even when it's not plugged into the phone line. So it's not a DSLAM bug per sé.

The only DSLAM bug that could be mentioned would be the ADSL2+ upload speed bug on the Ikanos remotes, but I doubt that this has anything to do with the CRTC since it will equally affect both Bell and wholesale customers, and short of replacing the cards with 7330 versions, it can't be fixed.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

We'll see how he CRTC reacts to all the submissions. 703 brought out a totally new paradigm without really considering implementation details and now it has to work through all of them.

I suspect there will me done via a CISC committee to look at the technical aspects, ans especially whether it is possible to aggregate capacity instead of counting it at every AHSSPI.
jfmezei

jfmezei

Premium Member

Looks like CNOC members had too much chocolate for easter...
quote:
April 10, 2012 FILED VIA ACCESS KEY

John Traversy
Secretary General Canadian Radio-television and
Telecommunications Commission
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0N2

Subject: Canadian Network Operators Consortium Inc. Application to review and vary Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-703 and Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-704 (CRTC File No. 8662-C182-201202324)
Dear Mr. Traversy,

1. Canadian Network Operators Consortium Inc. (“CNOC”) is in receipt of answers from Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership and Bell Canada (collectively, “Bell Companies”), Cogeco Cable Inc., Quebecor Media Inc., on behalf of its affiliate Videotron G.P., Rogers Communications Partnership and Shaw Communications Inc. (collectively, “Cable Carriers”), MTS Inc. and Allstream Inc. (collectively, “MTSA”), Telus Communications Company and Vaxination Informatique.

2. As matters now stand, CNOC’s reply to these submissions would be due on 16 April 2012. However, there are three factors that make it impossible for CNOC to meet this deadline. First, the collective volume and complexity of the answers cited above submissions is considerable. Second, CNOC’s ability to convene the internal regulatory resources required to analyze the answers and prepare a reply is delayed by the Easter long weekend as a number of relevant resources will not be available until today. This effectively shortens the working period for the preparation of reply by four days. Finally, CNOC’s Annual General Meeting (“AGM”) is taking place tomorrow and some of the same resources required to assist with the preparation of a reply will be tied up today through Thursday of this week with the AGM and related travel.

3. As a result of these factors, CNOC is requesting a delay in the date for filing its reply in this proceeding to 23 April 2012. This is only a delay of five business days but will be of great assistance to CNOC in managing the reply process given all of the circumstances just described.

Yours very truly,
William Sandiford Chair of the Board and President

jfmezei

jfmezei

Premium Member

This isn't directly related to the CNOC R&V, but here was a response from CNOC on a Videotron Tariff. It appears that Videotron is truly realy to enable 10gbps links, but with conditions CNOC does not approve of.

Letter to Jo···inal.pdf
27062 bytes
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

Pretty sure Videotron's 3Gbps minimum is about the CBB purchased for the interface, not the actual traffic volume itself. If an ISP is paying for 3Gbps on a 10G link, I doubt Videotron will mind the interface running at 0Mbps since they still get paid for the full unused 3Gbps and get to pocket the spare electrons/photons.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to jfmezei

Anon

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

It appears that Videotron is truly realy to enable 10gbps links, but with conditions CNOC does not approve of.

Those are conditions *no one* should approve of, not just CNOC.

However, there are ISP's out there who think this is just fine and dandy. Ebox is one of these ISP's that like Videotron telling them what to do and when to do it, as seen in their forum.

No one should put up with Videotron dictating how you run your business, or what you plan on doing that may require more.