spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NMFord

@rogers.com

[Extreme Plus] Can I use my own router with rogers ultimate?

Hey guys,

Just a quick question.

I am looking to sign up with rogers ultimate broadband but I see that I'm forced to use their Wireless N modem/gateway.

Am I still able to use my router with this? (Disable the gateway features on the SMC unit).

Also, is it worth calling rogers to see if I can get any good deal for the broadband? I am already a cell phone customer.

Nathan

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

First thing - do not get the SMC. It is a piece of crap! If you are going to go with Rogers, insist on the CISCO DPC3825 gateway. You can continue to use your own router or another one that you purchase (not sure what model you have) but the Rogers modem will have to be put in bridge mode - either by yourself or by Rogers. This is definitely recommended! You have nothing to lose by calling them for a deal - you may luck out and get a discount of anywhere from 20-30%.

NMFord

@rogers.com

Hey Hooter,

Thanks for the advice.

At what point during signing up do I insist on the CISCO modem? The salesperson I speak to on the phone or someone else after I've signed up (pre-installation)?

Also, any tips on insisting if they're stubborn?

And as you were wondering I have an Asus RT-N16

Thanks

bfksc
Unlimited on Distributel

join:2011-11-22
Toronto, ON

said by NMFord :

At what point during signing up do I insist on the CISCO modem? The salesperson I speak to on the phone or someone else after I've signed up (pre-installation)?

When the tech arrives, he'll probably ask if you need a modem or a wireless gateway. Ask for the Cisco gateway.

After you're connected, you can log into the Cisco and set it for Bridged mode only yourself using the manual login at 192.168.0.1, and user id = cusadmin and password = password.

NMFord

@rogers.com

said by bfksc:

When the tech arrives, he'll probably ask if you need a modem or a wireless gateway. Ask for the Cisco gateway.

After you're connected, you can log into the Cisco and set it for Bridged mode only yourself using the manual login at 192.168.0.1, and user id = cusadmin and password = password.

Why will he ask if I need a modem or a wireless gateway? I was under the impression that the only option was a wireless gateway (by default the SMC unit).

Do they always have a CISCO unit on hand in their van?

mickw99

join:2003-04-09
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to NMFord

if he doesn't have the cisco gateway. take the smc to the store and swap it out.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to NMFord

Just wondering if they will not give you the CISCO modem, can you go straight to the store, pick it up yourself and then take it home and install it yourself. If a tech comes to your house, you could be charged an installation fee!

mickw99

join:2003-04-09
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to NMFord

if he has other services with rogers like cable he can go to the store and pick up a modem and do a self install. if there is no services then a tech has to come out to install after that you can swap the modem out anytime you want as long as you rent it.