spc
uniqs

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to Bugblndr

to Bugblndr

Re: [DSL] 19 meg Profile with TP-Link 8840T

TP-LINK should bring back the 8810 and 8811 which were broadband based. They'd sell a ton for these higher speeds.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34

Hmmm, I was thinking of picking up a $23 TP-Link 8616, just to have as a backup for my GNet. (or maybe the $25 8816 or 8817)

Are the 8616's still relatively stable, with good specs, at 6M and 12M? Are they still 'good value for the money'?

I have a couple friends who I may FINALLY get off Bell, and the $23 TP-Link 8616 modem purchase is certainly part of my sales pitch to them! (6M users)

(Also... after an in-depth networking/golf/hockey discussion at a bar on Thursday afternoon, I got one acquaintance to phone Bell on Friday, and demand an end to his modem rental fee. He ended up getting his 6M plan cost reduced by $16/month! I think he had been paying MORE than the current plan price per month, wasn't getting a bundle price, and was paying for the modem. So, I probably won't convert him, right now anyway!)

heyyahblah
join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON

heyyahblah to Mike2009

to Mike2009
Yea I agree with you, I have no idea why they stopped. I'm so glad I bought my TP-LINK TD 8841 2 years ago when it was around and it was cheap too, only $35. CDN. Comes with 4 Ethernet ports and a USB port, which is handy as well. It uses the broadcom chipset and is compatible with DMT v8.07. Great modem, gives me better stats then my ST516 on my stupid IKNS remote.

Thanks help from MIKE I got my profile set properly accordingly as well.

»www.tp-link.com/en/suppo ··· =TD-8841

»www.pccanada.com/viewite ··· ?id=7022

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

1 edit

Mike2009 to jasmo34

to jasmo34
The 8816 is still a great modem. I used my 8840T (4 port version of 8816) on a 14 meg profile with no issue. It also seemed stable on a 19 meg profile but stats were not as good as a broadcom modem. Others have also reported poor stats above a 12 or 14 meg profile including some disconnects.

Interesting, I just found an 8811 on ebay if anyone is interested.

»www.ebay.ca/itm/TP-Link- ··· 0wt_1156

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to jasmo34

Premium Member

to jasmo34
said by jasmo34:

Are the 8616's still relatively stable, with good specs, at 6M and 12M?

My 8616 had great stats and was solid as a rock at 12/1 (and on a 14272/1088 profile).

Mike

jasmo34
~ London ~

jasmo34

OK, thanx for those 8616 comments. I think I will pick one up for myself, and I will still recommend it for my Bell converts-to-be.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic to jasmo34

to jasmo34
said by jasmo34:

I got one acquaintance to phone Bell on Friday, and demand an end to his modem rental fee. He ended up getting his 6M plan cost reduced by $16/month! I think he had been paying MORE than the current plan price per month, wasn't getting a bundle price, and was paying for the modem. So, I probably won't convert him, right now anyway!)

He didn't go from a grandfathered account to a limited account, did s/he?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to heyyahblah

to heyyahblah
said by heyyahblah:

Yea I agree with you, I have no idea why they stopped. I'm so glad I bought my TP-LINK TD 8841 2 years ago when it was around and it was cheap too, only $35. CDN. Comes with 4 Ethernet ports and a USB port, which is handy as well.

For people who are only going to use it as bridged, the built-in Ethernet switch simply wastes 2-5W of power and adds a bunch of extra possible points of failure.

jasmo34
~ London ~

jasmo34 to Oinktastic

to Oinktastic
said by Oinktastic:

He didn't go from a grandfathered account to a limited account, did s/he?

Later in this process, I did suggest to him that he might have had some 'grandfathered' features, but he has not responded to that. He thought he had 60 GB usage. Was that an old Bell cap, on some old 6M plan?

I suggested to him he should check on that with Bell (although any GF features are probably gonzo now, after all the changes).

His usage is only 4 or 5 GB / month. So, he's happy with the money savings. Bell is his 3rd or 4th ISP, and he's been happiest with them!

You know, unfortunately, quite a few Bell 'non-techie' users I ask about their plan have no idea what plan they are NOW on, or what they are paying for! They just get their one Bell bill, and pay it! Perfect Bell customers!

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009

Just a bit of an update. I used my 8840T for 7 days straight with no disconnects or loss of sync even though the stats are what would be considered marginal. This is on a 19455/1085 profile. Based on this I would not recommend anyone who has one of the trendchip TP-Links run out to buy a new modem when switching to the higher speeds. Give it a try and see how it does on your line. If you need a broadcom modem to get Bell to put you on the highest profile, borrow one to get the increase and go back to using the TP-Link. This of course does not apply to everyone as there are others who have had issues of disconnects with these TP-Links on higher speed profiles.

Right now I'm running the more basic TD-8616 and the stats are even better than the 8840T. Here they are.

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin: 8.3 7.8 db
Line Attenuation: 6.9 6.8 db
Data Rate: 19455 1085 kbps