spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pimentel2
join:2011-05-20
East Providence, RI

2 edits

pimentel2

[RI] Upload is abysmal, sometimes won't connect.

Hey guys !

Been having issues since last evening with my upload speed. Web pages taking a few extra seconds to actually start loading, etc.

- Rebooted modem/router, nothing.
- Tried with just modem....no difference

I'm pretty positive this isn't anything on my end (had my splitters replaced a few months ago), unless if it's the actual modem.

Anyway, onto the numbers. I have an SB6120 (it's bonding 4 channels down, 3 up)

Signals:

»img820.imageshack.us/img ··· 2210.png

and cox speedtest:

(well, sometimes it's much worse. Like 0.60mbps and not even connecting)

And here's anything recent on my modem log:

6-Notice I401.0 TLV-11 - unrecognized OID

and a few T3 timeouts while connecting.

and firmware/version info:

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Oh, I did switch back to Cox's DNS servers for this. I was on OpenDNS and had the same issues.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well signal levels all look ok. The only thing that sticks out to me, is out of the 3 upstream channels your bonding. None of them is using a 64QAM on a channel. Which to me, I am sure cox is using 64QAM on at least one maybe two of them channels. A modem will drop down to a 16QAM from 64QAM, when noise issue's, and upstream SNR drops below the minimum rated SNR specs for 64QAM. When the upstream SNR drops, its also a good chance its related to some noise appearing on the upstream. So I would be interested in what a tech could see regarding your upstream levels, not just the power levels your modem shows.
pimentel2
East Providence, RI

1 edit

pimentel2

said by lilstone87:

Well signal levels all look ok. The only thing that sticks out to me, is out of the 3 upstream channels your bonding. None of them is using a 64QAM on a channel. Which to me, I am sure cox is using 64QAM on at least one maybe two of them channels. A modem will drop down to a 16QAM from 64QAM, when noise issue's, and upstream SNR drops below the minimum rated SNR specs for 64QAM. When the upstream SNR drops, its also a good chance its related to some noise appearing on the upstream. So I would be interested in what a tech could see regarding your upstream levels, not just the power levels your modem shows.

If I recall correctly, my upstream power level* was around 49 for channel 4, and I was able to reach ~ 15-17mbps upload with powerboost of course, around 48 hours ago.

Edit: That reminds me. 64QAM was showing up. Not anymore though :/

Fixed.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

49 is your power level, not your upstream SNR, that is something only cox can see from there end. So it requires either having a phone support rep to tell you what it is, or one of the cox guys on here that help out. You want the upstream SNR at least above 30, some people want it over 33. The key is keeping the upstream SNR steady, which is hard to do. Because there is a lot more stuff that can affect it, compared to downstream side of things. So my personal feeling regarding to your issue, is probably something noise related on the upstream, dropping your upstream SNR. Reason your modem isn't using 64QAM on one or two of them upstream channels. 64QAM helps a lot with providing more upload bandwidth, but doesn't work well with noise, and often causes the modem to drop to 16QAM when noise is actively happening.
pimentel2
East Providence, RI

pimentel2

said by lilstone87:

49 is your power level, not your upstream SNR, that is something only cox can see from there end. So it requires either having a phone support rep to tell you what it is, or one of the cox guys on here that help out. You want the upstream SNR at least above 30, some people want it over 33. The key is keeping the upstream SNR steady, which is hard to do. Because there is a lot more stuff that can affect it, compared to downstream side of things. So my personal feeling regarding to your issue, is probably something noise related on the upstream, dropping your upstream SNR. Reason your modem isn't using 64QAM on one or two of them upstream channels. 64QAM helps a lot with providing more upload bandwidth, but doesn't work well with noise, and often causes the modem to drop to 16QAM when noise is actively happening.

Yeah, sorry, I actually did mean power level :P

Been sick for a while so hopefully you understand xD

Ender3rd
join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
·Frontier FiberOp..

Ender3rd to pimentel2

to pimentel2
I'm wondering if there is something going on with things running through the Providence market, which is where things here in CT are routed. Like you, for the past week I have been running into stalled web pages, which may or may not load immediately if refreshed. I also shuffled my DNS from OpenDNS back to Cox and found that it seemed to work a bit better, but it's still not right. Running the Cox Internet Speed check showed an upload speed of .39 Mbps on the first run, then repeating it resulted in my usual +8.0 Mbps upload speed. Download was +30 Mbps with both runs and the ping was below 30ms although it took more than a minute for the ping test to complete on the first run. Likewise, a flood of T3 timeouts and Timing Synchronization failure reports with subsequent rebooting. Extended runs of pingplotter shows absolutely no packet loss, so this appears to be something else.

I have 3 bonded channels downstream and 1 upstream channel with signal levels and SNR unchanged from what is normally seen here. So... I'm seeing performance that appears to be very similar to what you are experiencing. Same modem as you as reported from the information in the Help section of the Modem diagnostics pasted in below. So... for better or worse, you are not alone!

Ender

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
pimentel2
East Providence, RI

pimentel2

Update:

Had 64QAM earlier in the day. Signals, power levels remained generally the same, hardly any difference.

Now magically I'm stuck with 16QAM again. Fun.

There are definitely issues here.

Also, nothing new in the logs.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by pimentel2:

Update:

Had 64QAM earlier in the day. Signals, power levels remained generally the same, hardly any difference.

How was things when the modem had 64QAM on the upstream? As for the upstream, the upstream SNR, and noise levels you can't see from your end. Both are the main reason your modem will drop the 64QAM on the upstream. CoxTech1 See Profile should be back on here tomorrow, so you could send him a PM on here with your modems mac#, and he could tell you what he see's from his end, and what he suggest you do to resolve your issue.
pimentel2
East Providence, RI

pimentel2

said by lilstone87:

said by pimentel2:

Update:

How was things when the modem had 64QAM on the upstream? As for the upstream, the upstream SNR, and noise levels you can't see from your end. Both are the main reason your modem will drop the 64QAM on the upstream. CoxTech1 See Profile should be back on here tomorrow, so you could send him a PM on here with your modems mac#, and he could tell you what he see's from his end, and what he suggest you do to resolve your issue.

Things were pretty smooth when I had 64QAM, got around ~15-18mbps upload consistently (with powerboost of course).

wifisnowman1
@cox.com

wifisnowman1

Anon

Just a quick FYI: if you're at 16 qam, then cox has likely lowered your entire service area to attempt to mitigate an ingress issue. this has happened in the past, and it is easier for modems to remain online at a lower qam with line noise bursting in and out than it is at 64 (it allows them to talk back higher - over the noise) give the field techs a few days to track and resolve the problem. I'm sure you'll be back up to normal speeds in no time.
pimentel2
East Providence, RI

pimentel2

said by wifisnowman1 :

Just a quick FYI: if you're at 16 qam, then cox has likely lowered your entire service area to attempt to mitigate an ingress issue. this has happened in the past, and it is easier for modems to remain online at a lower qam with line noise bursting in and out than it is at 64 (it allows them to talk back higher - over the noise) give the field techs a few days to track and resolve the problem. I'm sure you'll be back up to normal speeds in no time.

Good to know Not that big of a deal in the short-term as it usually happens after 7pm/peak hours.