spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ludishomi

join:2012-02-02

[Extreme] Anyone use a sb6121 modem with rogers?

Hi guys, I was thinking of buying and using a sb6121 modem with my rogers internet service, however, i have concerns regarding hardware updates. Can anyone give me some advice on what the best way is if i want to own my own modem? I definitely don't want to pay 200 for their piece of junk. Any advice is appreciated in advance. Thanks!

bfksc
Unlimited on Distributel

join:2011-11-22
Toronto, ON

You should have looked before posting, this has been covered:

»Can I use my own modem with Rogers?

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to ludishomi

While it is possible to get an "alien" modem authorized on Rogers' network, Rogers makes it pretty difficult... and with the thread claiming that Rogers is no longer accepting 612x, I would presume getting one of those added is going to get more complicated than ever.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

At this time I would recommend staying away from attempting to put into service a D3 modem that's not in the current inventory stream offered by Rogers.

The CISCO DPC3825 gateway is the one to get. And yes Rogers make if very expensive to buy or rent.

I think that Rogers sells this modem for $200 -- in the USA the CISCO DPC3825 gateway can be purchased for $120 + shipping.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

4 edits
reply to ludishomi

said by ludishomi:

Hi guys, I was thinking of buying and using a sb6121 modem with my rogers internet service, however, i have concerns regarding hardware updates. Can anyone give me some advice on what the best way is if i want to own my own modem? I definitely don't want to pay 200 for their piece of junk. Any advice is appreciated in advance. Thanks!

It is possible. But its probably not worth the effort.
The department you want to call is retail fulfillment.
You want the modem added as an SMC Docsis 3 gateway.
You will probably be told a dozen times that the modem cant be added.
If you have the will to get through being denied and told you are wrong several times, eventually you will get a rep who knows how to add it.
The fastest way to do this is to not give out your account information until you have explained to the rep what you want done.
The rep may also try and fail, so if you have given your account info kindly ask them to log out of your account before hanging up and calling in again.
The main reason the reps fail is that they are checking to see if your modem is in Rogers database, since it is not in that database they assume it cant be added.
The truth is they can add modems to that database, but most reps dont know how.
It's a painful process, but it does work eventually.
I was using a SB6120 on Rogers before I switched over to Teksavvy VDSL2, and this is the process I used (along with a few others on this board) to get it added.
Since the modem operates just fine on Rogers wholesalers like Teksavvy (who are still accepting this model) I see no reason why it would not work on Rogers retail.

Your other option if you really want to use the SB6121 is to sign up for Teksavvy cable or another third party wholesaler that approves of this modem, as there will be no problem with them.
I recommend this option.