Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien

Pakapab to zeddlar

Premium Member

to zeddlar

Re: Hughesnet Generation 4

said by zeddlar:

Been playing EverQuest, EQ2 and WOW on Direcway and Hughesnet for 9 years now and when the satellites get a bit crowded like spaceway 3 is now then yes it amkes things not work or not work well in the least, but it has only been that bad for 4 or 5 months and just because of service upgrades and the fact that tons of 7000 users are switching and because another satellite company went belly up and HN offered their old customers a special deal to switch to HN. As soon as Jupiter fly's, I doubt anyone will ever see pings over 1000 consistantly again simply because of the large capacity of that satellite and the fact that more satellites like jupiter are planned soon enough to keep Jupiter from likely reaching capacity. And I am a former business customer of HN as well and I can tell you that even after my speeds went in the toilet on my old business system, it was still pinging under 900ms so HN commercial does very well too.

I almost upgraded back to a business acount but they were going to charge me another $600+ to do it and I decided that if I am going to shell out that kind of cash again, then I am going to wait and do it on Jupiter.

BTW, I will add that FPS and twitch games like that are unplayable on HN, but there are many mmorpg games that will work great on Jupiter.

True, True.... Ive been able to play several mmo's, but it just is not the same.... that being said, I am happy to atleast play what is playable!!! like wow, eq2, and even metalstorm some times.
Still, HN commercial ping times around 900ms?? I wounder why that would be, as other competitors commercial offerings pings are consistently lower. At least the ones Ive dealt with. ... What s up with that?? Having low ping, even if your dl/ul speeds are lower actually speeds browsing etc up. My Spacenet 1meg by 1meg at work rocks!! pings average 600-625.... I ve even seen them as low as 480!!
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

That was on the old KU system after it was starting to get badly crowded, My speeds dropped from 1.5 or 1.6 Mb/s which is what my plan speeds were, down to 250 to 300 Kb/s most of the day before the pings started going up any. I would imagine the pings on spaceway 3 are still running sub 800 on commercial systems.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

1 recommendation

dbirdman to Pakapab

MVM

to Pakapab
said by Pakapab:

Still, HN commercial ping times around 900ms?? I wounder why that would be, as other competitors commercial offerings pings are consistently lower. At least the ones Ive dealt with. ... What s up with that?? Having low ping, even if your dl/ul speeds are lower actually speeds browsing etc up. My Spacenet 1meg by 1meg at work rocks!! pings average 600-625.... I ve even seen them as low as 480!!

There was a recent discussion elsewhere about bad ping times that started out discussing a Hughes HX-50 operating in Afghanistan on a 10:1 contention that was seeing highly fluctuating pings. In that discussion, the tech service manager for a VAR that sells iDirect into Iraq and Afghanistan said this: "the users will HAMMER the network for as much bandwidth as they can get. While the pings usually stay in the 500-800ms range, they can spike up to 2000ms if there's enough users eating up all the timeslots."

My own iDirect experience is that pings always stay within 100ms of theoretical minimum, but apparently that is not just due to the technology but also to the loading and available slots.