spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to NewsgroupRev

Re: What usenet service everyone using now?

Yea I just heard about that, bummer.

woody99

join:2012-07-12
reply to Stem Bolt
said by Stem Bolt:

There are some Dutch providers that might be what your looking for.

»www.sunnyusenet.com/

»xsusenet.com/

»www.hitnews.com

I've heard some good word of mouth about Sunnyusenet.

There retention isn't as high as others though. Most of them only have servers in Europe.

hitnews.com on it's legal page says it complies with DMCA.. that can't be good.

how do you sign up for sunnyusenet.com it's all in dutch, lol

-w

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
said by woody99:

Try this:
»forums.redflagdeals.com/usenet-d ··· 14149069

Note that some north american users have reported inconsistent speeds on Sunnyusenet.

woody99

join:2012-07-12
thx will try out sunnyusenet!

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to woody99
said by woody99:

-w

»translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab= ··· n&tab=wT

Paste the Sunnyusenet web address into the box and Google should translate the site for you.

EDIT:

Google translate may not translated the entire website (ordering, ect.)

You can use Chrome browser and it will translate the whole website instead.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to nfixit2004
From what others reported, Google translate works for individual pages but not for the entire multi-page signup script/process.

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
Cleveland, OH
said by decx:

From what others reported, Google translate works for individual pages but not for the entire multi-page signup script/process.

Chrome browser can auto translate everything.

JE
JE 's BACK BABY
Premium
join:2000-12-15
Charlotte, NC
reply to nfixit2004
Signed up with NewsDemon.. $7 1st month, $10 every month thereafter...UNLIMITED.

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to nfixit2004
I use nntp.aioe.org. It's a free, anonymous nntp server that you can use to participate in what USENET IS REALLY FOR - text discussions.

For downloading, I visit avax.ws and download from file-lockers as a "free" user with no account. I use jdownloader and it downloads the stuff for me automatically, and even knows how to log into my router to cycle my internet connection to obtain a new IP address.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
said by sm5w2:

I use nntp.aioe.org. It's a free, anonymous nntp server that you can use to participate in what USENET IS REALLY FOR - text discussions.

How... retro!
--
♬ Music is life ♬

samphar

join:2012-02-15
Alpharetta, GA
reply to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

For downloading, I visit avax.ws and download from file-lockers as a "free" user with no account.

File lockers are fine for mp3 albums but if you are looking for high resolution movies the 100mb file limit and download restrictions make them impractical. As for text discussions, I still login to some of the linux groups on Usenet. This file-swapping group on dslreports is like alt.binaries.news-server-comparison used to be like ten years ago.

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
> File lockers are fine for mp3 albums but if you are looking for
> high resolution movies the 100mb file limit and download
> restrictions make them impractical.

Well, you're wrong about that. Many lockers have file-size limits for free users that are higher than 100 mb. Some are 500 mb. 200 mb is more common for the low end. And also note that uploaders frequently put their stuff on multiple lockers, so you can be downloading 3 to 6 parts simultaneously from different lockers.

scubascythan

join:2005-05-14
reply to nfixit2004
Hmmm I'm tempted to try something different after reading this thread. Been using Astraweb for a few years now. Too bad half this thread is junk irrelevant to the topic.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I think it's really getting to the point to where if you want something without being hassled by incompletes you have to consider using multiple servers without any connection to each other (Highwinds, etc). I have to admit if someone would have told me two years ago I'd have three servers that I pay for just to get a TV show I'd laugh in their face.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by kingdome74:

I think it's really getting to the point to where if you want something without being hassled by incompletes you have to consider using multiple servers without any connection to each other (Highwinds, etc). I have to admit if someone would have told me two years ago I'd have three servers that I pay for just to get a TV show I'd laugh in their face.

what shows do you have such issues with?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
I don't think I'm allowed to post that. Think two guys in a cage.

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
Cleveland, OH
said by kingdome74:

I don't think I'm allowed to post that. Think two guys in a cage.

Siegfried & Roy?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Oddly enough my white tiger's name on my hunter in WoW is Montecore

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to sandman_1
Thanks for this, just updated all my free backup servers.

Frink
Professor
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ
reply to nfixit2004
I read about this provider and signed up: »gibinews.eu

They were supposed to not comply with takedown requests, and I am seeing an improvement over astraweb, but their performance isn't the best at least over my first hour of testing. Might be a good fill server. It was about $5 for 30 days, and you get an additional 14 days if you use a referral code from someone else, here's mine: N8cJmcFfuZz0dIYpoOqz

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA
I tried gibinews a few months ago. They resell highwinds and seem to be using a rented OVH server for their business. They only have the one location in France that they offer service from and their speeds to me here on the West Coast were good but not great during my few days of testing.

Frink
Professor
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ
oh that is news to me that they resell highwinds. crap.

newster

join:2011-09-26
said by Frink:

oh that is news to me that they resell highwinds. crap.

I don't know if "Highwinds reseller" would properly apply to an unlicensed ihave/suckfeed operation, or whatever.

Frink
Professor
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ
Well, I only gave them $5.
Is Sunnyusenet any better? Is that really it as far as options for non 'compliance' ?

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
Cleveland, OH
said by Frink:

Is Sunnyusenet any better? Is that really it as far as options for non 'compliance' ?

I've heard good word of mouth about Sunnyusenet from several people. They have reasonable prices. They resell Dutch usenet service from 'XLNed'.

I'm starting to hear good things about 'SSL-News'. Their incorporated in Nassau, The Bahamas. They resell Dutch usenet service from 'XSnews'.

»www.ssl-news.info/index.php

Frink
Professor
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ
said by Stem Bolt:

said by Frink:

I've heard good word of mouth about Sunnyusenet from several people. They have reasonable prices. They resell Dutch usenet service from 'XLNed'.

I'm starting to hear good things about 'SSL-News'. Their incorporated in Nassau, The Bahamas. They resell Dutch usenet service from 'XSnews'.

»www.ssl-news.info/index.php

Thanks for the info.

themaxx69

@cox.net
Astraweb. Can't beat it. I pay $20 every 3 months for 10Mb/s, unlimited download. Plenty fast. You can get faster, but it's more money. Under $7 a month for unlimited downloading. They also told me they would do $100 for a year.

themaxx69

@cox.net
reply to sandman_1
Wow! Thanks sandman! I haven't needed free access to usenet in years since I found astraweb. $7 a month is chump change considering what you have access to and I routinely dl over a hundred gigs a month and a lot of old files. But I will definitely remember just4today. I just tried it with a 500MB 52 day old file and it worked! Only 2 connections at 400KB/s total, but that's actually pretty fast and you can't beat free!

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to nfixit2004
I was thinking of getting a Sunnyusenet Sunny 5 package instead of a block account. You can get a year of unlimited for pretty much less than what you would get with a block, around $23/year. It is capped at 5Mbps but plenty fast enough to supplement your main account.

Someone here on this board posted a great link of a pic that details the main providers and resellers. Here it is again for people wanting to know the many Dutch providers and resellers.

themaxx69

@cox.net
Wow, I just looked at sunnyusenet. $3.50USD a month for 10Mb! That seems ridiculously cheap. Can you use them in the USA? Sounds too good.