Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA
reply to Frink

Re: What usenet service everyone using now?

I tried gibinews a few months ago. They resell highwinds and seem to be using a rented OVH server for their business. They only have the one location in France that they offer service from and their speeds to me here on the West Coast were good but not great during my few days of testing.

Frink
Professor
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ

oh that is news to me that they resell highwinds. crap.

newster

join:2011-09-26

said by Frink:

oh that is news to me that they resell highwinds. crap.

I don't know if "Highwinds reseller" would properly apply to an unlicensed ihave/suckfeed operation, or whatever.

Frink
Professor
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ

Well, I only gave them $5.
Is Sunnyusenet any better? Is that really it as far as options for non 'compliance' ?

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

said by Frink:

Is Sunnyusenet any better? Is that really it as far as options for non 'compliance' ?

I've heard good word of mouth about Sunnyusenet from several people. They have reasonable prices. They resell Dutch usenet service from 'XLNed'.

I'm starting to hear good things about 'SSL-News'. Their incorporated in Nassau, The Bahamas. They resell Dutch usenet service from 'XSnews'.

»www.ssl-news.info/index.php

Frink
Professor
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ

said by Stem Bolt:

said by Frink:

I've heard good word of mouth about Sunnyusenet from several people. They have reasonable prices. They resell Dutch usenet service from 'XLNed'.

I'm starting to hear good things about 'SSL-News'. Their incorporated in Nassau, The Bahamas. They resell Dutch usenet service from 'XSnews'.

»www.ssl-news.info/index.php

Thanks for the info.

themaxx69

@cox.net

Astraweb. Can't beat it. I pay $20 every 3 months for 10Mb/s, unlimited download. Plenty fast. You can get faster, but it's more money. Under $7 a month for unlimited downloading. They also told me they would do $100 for a year.

themaxx69

@cox.net
reply to sandman_1

Wow! Thanks sandman! I haven't needed free access to usenet in years since I found astraweb. $7 a month is chump change considering what you have access to and I routinely dl over a hundred gigs a month and a lot of old files. But I will definitely remember just4today. I just tried it with a 500MB 52 day old file and it worked! Only 2 connections at 400KB/s total, but that's actually pretty fast and you can't beat free!

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to nfixit2004

I was thinking of getting a Sunnyusenet Sunny 5 package instead of a block account. You can get a year of unlimited for pretty much less than what you would get with a block, around $23/year. It is capped at 5Mbps but plenty fast enough to supplement your main account.

Someone here on this board posted a great link of a pic that details the main providers and resellers. Here it is again for people wanting to know the many Dutch providers and resellers.

»www.abload.de/image.php?img=usenetwajgg.png
Snapped 2012-09-03 11:17:16

themaxx69

@cox.net

Wow, I just looked at sunnyusenet. $3.50USD a month for 10Mb! That seems ridiculously cheap. Can you use them in the USA? Sounds too good.

suiken

join:2012-09-07

hi guys I am currently in Taiwan, astraweb was good but the DMCA really sucks. So I am going to change to a new provider, can anyone recommend a good one in asia that's not affected by DMCA?

Or anyone know how's the speed for sunnyusenet in asia?

So if newsgroup provider is based in Europe or Asia..DMCA can't get to them? or maybe it's only a matter of time and eventually they will get to them all?

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by suiken:

So if newsgroup provider is based in Europe or Asia..DMCA can't get to them? or maybe it's only a matter of time and eventually they will get to them all?

Well, hard to say. News Service (largest Usenet provider, based out of the Netherlands) was shut down completely last year by the courts. Well, the court didnt shut them down, the verdict they handed down was not feasible so that did them in.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

suiken

reply to nfixit2004

some people say use astraweb as main and use a back up server that's not affected by the DMCA....does this work???

for nuked DMCA files in astraweb do they just take down a few file or something?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

My understanding, and Swintec could explain it better, is each group of servers takes down different parts of the same file. If you use a main and a backup you should be able to get enough parts to make a complete video or whatever. I use an unlimited account, a block account, and I use unlimited/speed limited account each from a different group of servers and so far *knock on wood* I've been able to get everything.
--
$4 gas, 16 Trillion debt, 8.3 unemployed, and record food stamps... this is better than 4 years ago?

suiken

reply to nfixit2004

very interesting, I will go back to astraweb for my main and use either sunny or gibi for my block account.

so which 2 accounts do you have?

For other people is it also the same for you? use 2 accounts then you should be able to get everything?

for people who got sabnzbd...the "back up" server is it when the main server gets incomplete then it will try to dl again with the "back up server" what if you set up 2 back up servers?

Tsunamijhoe

@tele.dk

said by suiken:

very interesting, I will go back to astraweb for my main and use either sunny or gibi for my block account.

so which 2 accounts do you have?

For other people is it also the same for you? use 2 accounts then you should be able to get everything?

for people who got sabnzbd...the "back up" server is it when the main server gets incomplete then it will try to dl again with the "back up server" what if you set up 2 back up servers?

I have astraweb AND sunnynews and pc games are completly impossible to get with astraweb active in my newsreader (newsleecher) if i remove astraweb,and only use sunnynews i can get the broken files but they can be repaired. So i suspect sunnynews is also compliying with DMCA, but since they only remove a few blocks from each file,they can be repaired like you could with giganews+block account a year ago.

suiken

reply to kingdome74

I use astraweb to get sleeping dogs, darksiders ii, max payne 3. it seems like it's downloading but nothing is being downloaded. In sabnzbd it says xxxMb of xxxMb is downloaded.....but I check dl folder it's not actually being dl'ed....sup with that? since nothing is dl'ed blocknews might have to dl the entire 30GB for max payne 3

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

said by suiken:

I use astraweb to get sleeping dogs, darksiders ii, max payne 3. it seems like it's downloading but nothing is being downloaded. In sabnzbd it says xxxMb of xxxMb is downloaded.....but I check dl folder it's not actually being dl'ed....sup with that? since nothing is dl'ed blocknews might have to dl the entire 30GB for max payne 3

This might be the result of the the method that Astraweb uses to remove content when they receive a DMCA take down notice.

When content is removed from Astraweb's servers due to DMCA it isn't deleted from the server but rather replaced with txt files containing a message saying removed due to DMCA, they aren't just small text files, they are the exact size of the original file. This may be causing the issue your having.

suiken

what.....someone recommended me to use astraweb and blocknews as block account....so.....astraweb doesn't work then......which providers do you guys use nowadays? that still works

sandman_1

reply to nfixit2004

Newsbin Pro actually says if it was DMCAd and won't download the parts. AFAIK, all the providers that get DMCA take down requests delete only a small portion of the actually file making it impossible to repair.

Tip: If you get your NZBs from well known manual index sites, NZBMatrix, you might find that the release is DMCAd. There are other releases, usually not posted at these sites, that haven't been DMCAd but require searching with a usenet search engine like binsearch or mysterbin.

Even though sites like NZBMatrix make it easier to find stuff on Usenet, the forces to be are using it against the community to quickly DMCA stuff. Learn how to use a search engine like binsearch and mysterbin instead of relying on sites to find stuff for you.

pb5k
Can't Triforce
Premium
join:2005-11-16
Glendale, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

It's bad enough the usenet providers have been targeted. But NZBMatrix is also proactively removing items from its index as well!

If this trend continues, some indexers could be almost entirely useless.

From »nzbmatrix.com/banned.php :

quote:
The following is a list of content that is banned from our site, these have been banned for various reasons.

If you are (or if you represent) the copyright owner of any material on this site that you would like to have removed from our index please see here

If you upload any content that is listed below you will be banned from this site without warning

All Microsoft Windows Operating Systems
All Microsoft Office Applications
All Adult Content
Any books by Tianna Xander or Extasy Books
Any "Earn cash, get x free" spam/scam postings
ALL X Men Origins Wolverine Movie Releases (Inc Fixes etc)
All Anne Perry Audio Books
All Edward Elgar Content
Wowza Media Server
A Serbian Film (»www.imdb.com/title/tt1273235/)
The Hunger Games (Lionsgate)

--
"I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." - John Trudell

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to nfixit2004

.. plants ..

sandman_1

reply to pb5k

I hope they all go down. I know it sounds harsh but these DMCA take downs have been getting more and more frequent and it is because of the ease of use sites like NZBMatrix bring to the table.

It is not hard to learn how to crawl through a search site like binsearch or mysterbin and get what you want. I do it and have done it for years. With filters and a little common sense, you can weed out 99% of the junk in searches.

pb5k
Can't Triforce
Premium
join:2005-11-16
Glendale, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

I certainly understand the sentiment. We now have software packages and indexers that have lowered the barriers to entry into the Usenet market considerably.

But I disagree with your contention on NZBmatrix. It's true they might make DMCA takedowns easier, but as you pointed out, there is always Mysterbin and Binsearch. If you can find the articles through those means, so can the MPAA/RIAA, BSA, etc. and request article cancellations.

The horse left the barn on Usenet long ago. "They" are well aware of it, and the future, as always, remains in doubt.
--
"I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." - John Trudell

Frink
Professor
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ
reply to nfixit2004

nzbxxx.com is alive and well last i checked so i am not sure where they are removing 'all adult content'

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

they want the content on nzbxxx and not the main site, which is why it's listed as banned. This was explained to me when I was discussing the carrot and stick method of controlling access to products online.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
reply to nfixit2004

I appreciate these postings. I too am considering moving to usenet from p2p. Just sick and tired of all the fakes being posted on p2p these days. In a way I doubt how much better usenet will be for movies etc, but I think I'd rather take my chances there than on p2p.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by AkFubar:

I appreciate these postings. I too am considering moving to usenet from p2p. Just sick and tired of all the fakes being posted on p2p these days. In a way I doubt how much better usenet will be for movies etc, but I think I'd rather take my chances there than on p2p.

join a good index site and you'll be fine.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
reply to AkFubar

The worst part of using newsgroups is the constant line saturation regardless of your download speed

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

"My downloads are too fast."

First world NNTP problems.