share rss forum feed

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

3 edits
reply to Mattftlaud

Re: ATT UVerse Question

Well, you will get many here including myself that will tell you their HDPQ is the worst or one the worst out there. Some here think it is better or ok. I am not trying to start a forum war here so I post from my experience(s) with providers. There are things U-Verse has that are good like alot of HD channels but it was it's limitations that swayed me away. For one, depending on what profile you could be put on (32/5= 4HD streams, 25/2= 3 HD streams) if you are a heavy recorder and watch at the same time U-Verse could be an issue because of it's limited amount of HD streams. The max is 4HD which includes the ones that are recording. Second, to provide the 3HD, 4HD profiles AT&T decided to compress their HD bitrate down to 5.7-6 Mbps which causes alot of pixelation during fast-moving shows plus what I noticed when I had it is the color was not as vibrant and very dull. I know that U-Verse DVR's come with 500GB HDD's now but that is sometimes no enough room for some people and you only can have 1 DVR. There are some here who figured out how to put a 1TB or 2TB drive in their DVR. With DTV you can have up to 6 DVR's or with their new HR34 you can record 5 HD at once. I have 2 HDDVR's each with 500GB and you can use external HDD's if you run out of space. I also have the new HDGUI and am not having the problems you are having. What receivers do you have? My 2 HDDVR's (HR22-100) and my 2 HD receivers (H24-700) actually have been working better since the upgrade. I would take dslfan's advice if you try it and see them side by side to compare. That is the best way to know. But to be honest IMO DirecTV HD looks alot better than U-Verse HD.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

I think Nuckfuts and other people have made some good points. Trying it out for 30 days is definitely something that you can do with their 30 day guarantee.

Also, I am pretty picky about PQ for video. People are exactly right that the PQ isn't always great and can be pixelated. However, I have also noticed that it varies a lot depending on the channel and also the show on a channel. I have seen that ESPN video quality is actually pretty good and most of the time I don't see any pixelation.

But then other times it is a different story. So really the best way to find out is to try it out yourself and see what you think. Also I changed to the newer VIP2250 DVR recently and surprisingly I noticed better picture quality with this DVR. I know that this new DVR has better CPU.

Hope that info helps