spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mik3NC

@rr.com

[TWC] New Modem = Speed Capped?

Recently had my retail cable modem (Motorola SB6121, Docsis 3.0) activated w/ tier 3 support. Prior to this upgrade, my speed tests were indicating I was getting speeds as high as 25mbps. Although I'm on the 20/2 "turbo" plan, I figured this was just from the speedboost feature. Now after the new cable modem is installed, I get download as high as 19mbps and that is it. What happened here?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

If your 20/2 package is the same as mine then it does not include powerboost so your speeds are right about where it should be.

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23
reply to Mik3NC

Docsis 3 modems do not work with the power boost. If you do test now you should be seeing about 19.5 ish on the downloads

Mik3NC

@rr.com

said by TWCdude:

Docsis 3 modems do not work with the power boost. If you do test now you should be seeing about 19.5 ish on the downloads

If this is the case, is there any benefits to docsis 3 at all on the speed package I'm currently at?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

If your on one single channel then no not till D3 is officially launched in your market there won't be a whole lot of difference. That same package though that I have here requires a D3 modem since it will be changed to 30/5 when D3 is officially launched here.

Mik3NC

@rr.com

said by CptGemini:

If your on one single channel then no not till D3 is officially launched in your market there won't be a whole lot of difference. That same package though that I have here requires a D3 modem since it will be changed to 30/5 when D3 is officially launched here.

The reason why I purchased the modem wasn't because I wanted a better QOS, but because I had to get a replacement modem and I thought it would be best to get a docsis 3 modem for future-proof. However, if I would have known that my speedboost would have been taken away, I would have went with something a lot cheaper in price. Very disappointing news. Wish I would have known.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
reply to Mik3NC

Why doesn't doscis 3.0 not get speedboost? My previous provider supplied speedboost with docsis 3.0

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

1 edit
reply to Mik3NC

@djdanska: it does have speedboost, time warner just chooses not to use it with docsis 3 services

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
reply to Mik3NC

Does time warner do firmware updates for customer owned modems? (I have the 6120) was just curious..

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

Don't think so since unless they use the modem themselves in other markets they probably do not.

TWCdude

San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Mik3NC

Power boost is just eye candy its only like 10-30 seconds of faster speeds then you go back to your 20M cap, However since your turbo is 20x2 that means the area has docsis 3 online, so if anything the new modem will pull from 4 channels instead of one. This should improve the service if one of the channels gets congested

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

Power boost is just eye candy

Agreed, it's essentially designed to cheat on speed tests.

Upstream power boost could be useful though. Remote access tends to be very "bursty". Temporary increases of bandwidth might help full screen refreshes and such.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Yeah, but the upload powerboost on comcast did wonders when i was uploading a lot of files to my webserver. Non stop 10Mb upload since each file was small enough to not stop the powerboost. I know it's cheating.. hehe
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

taznumber1

join:2003-12-26
reply to Mik3NC

Why did you buy a modem for use with twc, they provide them for no charge to use their services, and replace them if they are broke? As a FYI they are not allowing you to use your own modem and take advantage of doscis 3.0. The only service is extreme and wideband that take advantage of doscis 3.0 and channel bonding, with those services they will give you a new all in one wireless router and modem and you must use those modems. You can bridge these modems either yourself or thru tier 3 support depending on your area.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by taznumber1:

Why did you buy a modem for use with twc, they provide them for no charge to use their services, and replace them if they are broke? As a FYI they are not allowing you to use your own modem and take advantage of doscis 3.0. The only service is extreme and wideband that take advantage of doscis 3.0 and channel bonding, with those services they will give you a new all in one wireless router and modem and you must use those modems. You can bridge these modems either yourself or thru tier 3 support depending on your area.

Not sure if your talking to me or someone else but i didn't buy my own cable modem recently. I've owned it for well over a year. When i signed up (with wideband) they gave me a ubee modem and i had nothing with problems with it. Even in bridge mode. It was honestly just easier hooking up my motorola 6120 and using my linksys e4200 router. (The last straw was under no configuration could i get my IMS wifi calling on my android to work)
Not a problem now. And with one phone call, they registered my own customer owned modem and i was online again in a few minutes. No hassle. I don't care about leasing. With all my previous providers, i usually ended up with crappy modems.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

LCromwell

join:2012-03-12
New Braunfels, TX
reply to TWCdude

Okay TWCdude, I just switched to RR furnished UBEE Docsis 3.0 and had a SB Docsis 2.0 before. I was getting 25 to 26 mbps download speeds on my SB 2.0, but now can only get 19.4 with the Ubee Docsis 3.0. Am I better going back to the older 2.0 SB or am I actually getting faster downloads because more data is pouring thru even though the speed says I am slower? I also got Turbo on the 8th and the Ubee installed on the 10th.

TWCdude

San Antonio, TX

You are going to get the 20M either way just with the SB you will get the extra 5M for only 20 seconds or so and if you are downloading a large file it wont make a difference. The advantage the ubee has over that is when it gets busy it has 4 (soon to be 8) download channels to pull from vs 1 so it will make the service a bit more consistant during peak hours.

LCromwell

New Braunfels, TX

Thanks for that info. I was just told that my D/L were ok but my upload was not "bonded". Does that mean something to you and is it fixable from TW's end?

LCromwell

New Braunfels, TX
reply to TWCdude

I also just read about bridgeable. Is that something I need on my UBEE ?