All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
usmabmass
join:2012-03-03
Columbus, GA

usmabmass

[GA] MediaCom reliability in Columbus, GA?

Hey everyone, i just bought a house in Columbus, GA (a little off of St. Mary's road, east of 185), and I"m looking at internet options - right now i'm seeing MediaCom and Knology in Columbus, and i've read about quite a few problems with both from years past.

What are some of the thoughts from current Mediacom users right now? Is it reliable? Have the lost connections/outages/etc been rectified by now?

I'm coming from a place where i was paying for 16Mb (slowest available) and getting 2.7Mb max for 3 years, and it was the only option. I'm not willing to live with that again now that I'm here - I just want fast internet access with no drama.

Also, are the DOCsys 3.0 modems worth it right now?

Thanks for all the help!

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

If you would like to IM me your address I can look up the area to see if there are any known issues.

ZenWeasel
join:2008-01-02

ZenWeasel to usmabmass

to usmabmass
Hello usmabmass, I'm one exit south of you. I've had both Mediacom as well as Knology several times through the years and find Knology to be the more reliable service. Here's the honest dope:

- Mediacom offers a hard to refuse ($) 2 year intro package.
- Mediacom offers the better cable TV format w/more HD channels
- Mediacom has a fat internet pipe. (20+ Mbs during late hours)
- Mediacom is way over subscribed. (Less than 3 Mbs during peak.

- Knology has a more solid backbone with a consistent speed (9Mbs at all hours as of 2010 my last year with them. A friend that has Knology tells me that he now gets 12Mbs all day)

Bottom line; You want drama* with all the bells and whistles go with Mediacom. You want a more "vanilla' but reliable service go with knology. Personally I'll be going back to Knology when this present contact runs it's course....for good and final this time no matter the dollar incentives.

*I've scheduled my 6th service call in just over a year of service. And only one brave level two phone tech informed me that my node was at 90% capacity where 40% utilization is desired. It's a pity I didn't record that statement.

Good luck fellow traveler.
ZenWeasel

ZenWeasel to usmabmass

to usmabmass
My latest test at just after 6:00 prime time. Took me about 5 minutes to open dslreports and this forum page:

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 8127.png

Gotta love the grade D and "slower then 71% of US" remark.
ps2roy
join:2002-03-03
Columbus, GA

ps2roy to usmabmass

to usmabmass
I'm in Columbus, but not near you. I had mediacom internet and tv for quite a while. I normally got good speeds. I tried the Ultra 50 and was always getting 50/5 until "something" happened. I started getting tons of packet loss. Chad was able to get techs to come out to look at the issue but they were never able to fix the packet loss. Seemed hung up that it has to be the wiring in my house.

So I switched internet to knology ($39.00/mo first year). With docsis 3 modem I always get 30/6 and no packet loss (same wiring and equipment). Still have TV with mediacom though.

I think you have atleast a 30 day money back guarantee. Chad has always been very helpful. I'd give them a try and if it doesn't work cancel.

Docsis 3 modem is worth it. I think even at some of the slower speeds (not Ultra 50) it will bond, which helps with the congestion.

ps2roy

ZenWeasel

ZenWeasel

ps2roy, they are paid to tell you it's your wiring. How the heck else do you think they can justify their "trying" to charge the $25 bucks for a "tea and sympathy" service call?

Yep something happened here as well around late August/early September. Everything cruising along nicely (10-12Mbs) untill their zealious over subscription hit "critcal mass" and people are suffering from Iowa to Georgia.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

SmackWeasel,

If you are having problems please send me your telephone# or MAC address and I can check to see what is going on and see what we can do to get this fixed for you.

ZenWeasel

ZenWeasel

Thanks Chad info sent, and I do appriciate the effort.
wpbear
join:2011-02-17
Cataula, GA

wpbear to usmabmass

to usmabmass
I am in Harris County exit 14 off 185. I had some problems and it took a long while and lots of frustration to get fixed due to the really bad customer service and the canned response tech support.

That being said, MediacomChad on this forum is awesome and is the only one that can ever get anything fixed.

Another thing to consider is Mediacom's 3 strikes DMCA policy.

ZenWeasel

ZenWeasel

said by wpbear:

I am in Harris County exit 14 off 185. I had some problems and it took a long while and lots of frustration to get fixed due to the really bad customer service and the canned response tech support.

That being said, MediacomChad on this forum is awesome and is the only one that can ever get anything fixed.

Another thing to consider is Mediacom's 3 strikes DMCA policy.

I've been following this forum for quite some time and agree; Chad's a gentleman and a man of action. But I don't get what you're saying about Mediacom's DMCA policy as regarding their network over utalization? Are you suggesting that they would stoop to frabricating a history of piracy in order to terminate an account?