how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Joe

@sbcglobal.net

1701 bridge mode fail

1701 on AT&T

Got tired of wireless problems (connection speed drops to 0 for all devices for 5 - 10 seconds several times an hour) with my 8 year old 1701 so I bought an ASUS RT-N66U yesterday.

Read every thread and FAQ about bridge mode. Spent all day rebooting/resetting and reconfiguring both the 2Wire and ASUS. Could not get the 2Wire into a stable bridged state. The 2Wire would come up in bridge mode stable - two greens and orange and stay that way for as long as I wanted to watch it. However, when I turn on the ASUS (correctly configured for PPPoE) and browse to a page or two then the 2Wire would spontaneously reboot.

If I waited it out through the reboot, the ASUS would reauthorize, reconnect and I could open another link or two - then another 2Wire reboot. I spoke to both AT&T and ASUS technical support - no help. When not in bridge mode (like right now) the 2Wire is stable and reliable.

Is there any obscure configuration parameter that could be causing this kind of spontaneous bridge mode reboot behavior?

All my devices have connected wirelessly all these years - the LAN ports have been unused. Could a flakey power supply be causing both the wireless dropouts and the bridge mode reboots when the ASUS is plugged into one of the LAN ports?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by Joe :

Is there any obscure configuration parameter that could be causing this kind of spontaneous bridge mode reboot behavior?

None that I'm aware of

piperj

join:2006-01-16
El Dorado Hills, CA
(piperj = Joe)

Thanks wayjac.

The other odd thing is that I could not get into the 2Wire MDC to grab diagnostics and logs (had correct static IP and subnet on laptop). Had to do hard resets to get back in. I went ahead and ordered an Actiontec GT701D that will be here in a few days.

I will probably spend some more time troubleshooting to try to connect to the 2wire when it is in the funky reboot cycle to see if there are any clues in the logs.

I have a follow up question, but will post it in a new thread.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to Joe
said by Joe :

Could a flakey power supply be causing both the wireless dropouts and the bridge mode reboots when the ASUS is plugged into one of the LAN ports?

If the power supply were faulty I would expect problems in bridge mode and normal routing mode

Accessing the 2wire gui while in bridge mode requires a direct connection to a 2wire lan port

piperj

join:2006-01-16
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by wayjac:

Accessing the 2wire gui while in bridge mode requires a direct connection to a 2wire lan port

Yes, I was doing quite quite a bit of cable swapping.

Don't really know what was going on with the rebooting, but all is well now with the ASUS in AP mode with a LAN to LAN cable.

Thanks again for the help here and in my related thread.