Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Sams club tried stopping me, what can they do?

I bought 1 box of reeses king size candy bars at Sams club and upon attempting to leave, there was a long line of people getting their receipts checked. I went around them then the door lady said I need to wait in line. I flashed my receipt and said I don't have time to wait since I already paid. She said she's calling the manager and I said go ahead. I kept walking but she followed me and then I said here's the receipt and showed it to her. She started lecturing me on how I'm supposed to stop. I said I don't have time and if you need me to stop, then have more people at the door. She said, "you need to.. Oh nevermind" and then she walked away. She was about to tell me off but she stopped short. What can she do? What can the manager do? I paid so I'm not stealing anything.

It is bad enough I have to wait forever in the checkout line and then to top of all off, I have to wait when leaving.

Emptydarkone
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Springfield, IL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by fartness:

What can she do? What can the manager do? I paid so I'm not stealing anything.

It is bad enough I have to wait forever in the checkout line and then to top of all off, I have to wait when leaving.

It's in the membership agreement:

General Policies

Children and Guests: Our Members are welcome to bring their children and up to two guests to Sam's Club. A Member must accompany children and guests – at all times. Only a Member may purchase items. Children may not be left unsupervised. Parents are responsible for their children. Members are responsible for any items opened or damaged by their guests, children or themselves.
Dress Code: Shoes and shirts are required.
Smoking: Not allowed in the Club.
Tobacco and Liquor: No sales to minors.
Receipts: To ensure that you are charged correctly for the merchandise you have selected, you will be requested to show your receipt when exiting.
--
I'm being a bit of a dippity today. Don't question my motives.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to fartness
Sams club and Costco can stop you since it is there membership agreement, but stores like best Buy and others, feel free to walk by them. I suppose the worse they can do is take your membership away. Whatever that is worth to you is your own call.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to fartness
»Ever decline a receipt checkers request?

There is a thread in the water cooler that is discussing something like what you are.

The store has a policy. Don't like the policy, don't shop there.
They could revoke your membership [Sam's, BJ, Costco]. They could call the cops and have you banned from sitting foot in that store ever again.
The exit person has a job. If the company didn't feel like that position wasn't important, then there would be more unemployed people.
It only takes a few seconds, just slow down and relax.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
reply to fartness
I wait in line; however, I always find it amusing when I have full cart load of items and the employee checking your merchandise takes no more than 10 sec. to look at what you have. Really? Why are they there. Obviously it would take some time to compare your receipt to what's in your cart.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to fartness
said by fartness:

What can she do? What can the manager do?

You agreed to do this in your membership agreement.

They can revoke your membership and not refund your money.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

mareastrum

join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

said by drew:

said by fartness:

What can she do? What can the manager do?

You agreed to do this in your membership agreement.

They can revoke your membership and not refund your money.

This, and yes I do know someone this happened to. My ex-husband. He also felt that he could use his credit cards and not sign for them. There is a reason why he's my ex.
--
Luffy, Zoro and Usopp: Chopper's a doctor?!?!
Nami: Why did you think we made Chopper join our crew?
Luffy: Seven Level transformation... Cool Reindeer...
Sanji: Emergency food supply...

Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

I wait in line; however, I always find it amusing when I have full cart load of items and the employee checking your merchandise takes no more than 10 sec. to look at what you have. Really? Why are they there. Obviously it would take some time to compare your receipt to what's in your cart.

I was listening as a new receipt checker was being trained for the job, according to what I heard, on the bottom of the receipt, they show the number of items bought, what the receipt checker is supposed to do is a quick count of all the items in the basket and compare it to the item count on the receipt. They said it was to deter theft, but I'm sure that if you had 50 or 60 items in your cart, it wouldn't be too hard to hide one or two unpaid items in it.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Emptydarkone
said by Emptydarkone:

It's in the membership agreement:

General Policies

Receipts: To ensure that you are charged correctly for the merchandise you have selected, you will be requested to show your receipt when exiting.

Not really
NOTHING about HAVING to wait in a needlessly understaffed excruciatingly long line to do so.

The OP DID show their receipt and left.
--

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2
reply to fartness
As I always point out on these threads, the purpose of checking the receipt against the number of items in the cart is to catch EMPLOYEES (cashiers) who are letting their friends/accomplices bring merchandise past the register without it being rung up. If the cashiers know that item counts are being done, they are less likely to try a "no-ringup" scheme.

It has nothing to do with "shoplifting." They have other techniques for that.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

1 recommendation

I don't know any cashiers, so let them pull their TSA style crap on someone else.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to fartness
I don't shop at stores that treat their own customers like criminals.

Sr Tech
Premium
join:2003-01-19
New Britain, CT
reply to fartness
I can understand the gripe as what is classic about some of these stores is that they have 10 lanes open to check you out, but only one person checking the receipts at the door. Poor management, they want your money quickly but bottle neck you at the door.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Johnny
said by Johnny:

As I always point out on these threads, the purpose of checking the receipt against the number of items in the cart is to catch EMPLOYEES (cashiers) who are letting their friends/accomplices bring merchandise past the register without it being rung up. If the cashiers know that item counts are being done, they are less likely to try a "no-ringup" scheme.

It has nothing to do with "shoplifting." They have other techniques for that.

And you'd be wrong. The idea of receipt checking is a psychological effect on the would be criminals in making them believe they will be caught. It's the idea that it would stymie would be thieves.

LP's have much better ways to monitor cashier activities, such as the ability to see exactly what is being rung up in the POS while watching them on CCTV. In addition, newer POS systems have weight systems that monitor the activity. A snickers bar wouldn't weigh the same as an iPad, and when it's placed in the bag, the system will notice the difference.

--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

I don't shop at stores that treat their own customers like criminals.

An LP once told me "treat all criminals like customers, and not all customers like criminals." Sadly, not all places believe that.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Emptydarkone

That statement is misleading. I read that to mean they will verify that $ITEM which costs $PRICE was indeed correct and I was not over or under charged.

Never in all my years of shopping at Sams has ANY of these "checkers" ever validated the "correctness" of any charges on my receipt.

Or they accusing me of theft with no proof.

Emptydarkone
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Springfield, IL

1 recommendation

Hey, I didn't write the fucking policy, I just quoted it for the OP so he understands why they do it. Don't believe me, you can look it up on the Sam's Club site yourself like I did.

If people don't like showing their receipt in places like these where they agreed to when they joined, why in the hell do they shop there?

As others have pointed out, people can go to Target, or even Wal-Mart, where they don't have to pay money for a membership to shop there.

It should really come as no surprise to anyone who shops in these membership stores that they check the fucking receipts on the way out, as they have done this for as long as I can remember. That doesn't necessarily mean that they check it for correctness.

--
I'm being a bit of a dippity today. Don't question my motives.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Sr Tech
said by Sr Tech:

I can understand the gripe as what is classic about some of these stores is that they have 10 lanes open to check you out, but only one person checking the receipts at the door. Poor management, they want your money quickly but bottle neck you at the door.

At all the Sam's Clubs I have shopped there is only one small exit so putting a bunch of people there is not practical. I have seen two checkers at one time but that's all.

I have taken the 'outta my way' attitude and walked past without issue once but now I just respect the person doing their job and all the other folks playing by the rules as laid out in the membership terms.

And, all the people that have ever checked my receipt are very friendly and I have developed a rapport with several of them.

Dave

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Emptydarkone
said by Emptydarkone:

It doesn't say you have to wait in line, have them verify, or that you need to comply with their request. He did show them the receipt.

That all said, this can't be a new thing and you should have known that there would be a delay in exiting the store. If you didn't want the delay, don't purchase anything. If you purchased something do your time and wait in line, your time is no more important than anyone else's. Don't be surprised if your membership has been canceled the next time you try and shop there.
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
I'm curious as to how they will be able to equate the OP with a particular account.

It's very possible but probable?

Now, if he continually does this that's another story.

Dave

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
said by workablob:

I'm curious as to how they will be able to equate the OP with a particular account.

If anyone noticed what check out he went through they could look up the customers through there.

Check the sales of who only bought Reeses King sized candy bars that day.

It wouldn't be difficult. The thing would be, does the employee feel like making him pay. Sounds they the employee wasn't treated as well as they could have been and depending on how much that upset them could depend on how much effort they feel like putting in to "get even".
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness
I filled out the survey on my receipt and gave them all 1's which was the lowest score possible. I told them how the lady was about to tell me off but she stopped short of doing so.

I also love how they always waste another 6 seconds of my time highlighting the survey on the receipt but this time they didn't highlight the survey upon exiting. Gee, I wonder why, lol.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Snakeoil
They can't call the cops because no law was broken.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

If they decide to ban the individual, they may need a policeman to issue a trespass citation, essentially baring the person from the premise and allow the immediate arrest if the person shows up again.

This thread sounds like a look at me thread.

Sr Tech
Premium
join:2003-01-19
New Britain, CT
reply to workablob
said by workablob:

said by Sr Tech:

At all the Sam's Clubs I have shopped there is only one small exit so putting a bunch of people there is not practical. I have seen two checkers at one time but that's all.

I have taken the 'outta my way' attitude and walked past without issue once but now I just respect the person doing their job and all the other folks playing by the rules as laid out in the membership terms.

And, all the people that have ever checked my receipt are very friendly and I have developed a rapport with several of them.

Dave

Correct, and it's the same way here as well. You would think they would enlarge the exit door and put more people, or have someone check you right after paying at the register and mark your receipt and off you go. Then one person could be at the door quickly letting people out just having to check the receipt that it was verified instead of having to go though the entire cart.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to howardfine
If the store feels that you are trespassing, yes they can call the police.
When I worked mall security, many years ago. It was interesting to see how many people thought that the mall was public property.
They tried telling me that I couldn't evict them from the property [customers]. One was determined to stay until I called the police. The police informed the person that the mall, and any store is private property. If the owner wants to bar someone entry, they can. As long as it is a legal issue, like the person caused trouble [not religion, skin color, sex, handicapped].

What it boils down to is this. As long as you behave, your welcome. Become a nuisance and you are no longer welcomed and are trespassing. Then it becomes a case of you breaking the law.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY
reply to workablob
said by workablob:

Dave

Receipt checks are usually fast. I have never waited more than a minute even on a busy day.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY
reply to workablob
said by workablob:

It's very possible but probable?

Now, if he continually does this that's another story.

Dave

Those places are loaded with security cameras on each register and exit. It would easy to look up a member's name.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to Emptydarkone
said by Emptydarkone:

Requested and Required are two different words, with vastly different meanings.
Expand your moderator at work