Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to workablob

Re: Sams club tried stopping me, what can they do?

said by workablob:

I'm curious as to how they will be able to equate the OP with a particular account.

If anyone noticed what check out he went through they could look up the customers through there.

Check the sales of who only bought Reeses King sized candy bars that day.

It wouldn't be difficult. The thing would be, does the employee feel like making him pay. Sounds they the employee wasn't treated as well as they could have been and depending on how much that upset them could depend on how much effort they feel like putting in to "get even".
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to fartness

I filled out the survey on my receipt and gave them all 1's which was the lowest score possible. I told them how the lady was about to tell me off but she stopped short of doing so.

I also love how they always waste another 6 seconds of my time highlighting the survey on the receipt but this time they didn't highlight the survey upon exiting. Gee, I wonder why, lol.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Snakeoil

They can't call the cops because no law was broken.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

If they decide to ban the individual, they may need a policeman to issue a trespass citation, essentially baring the person from the premise and allow the immediate arrest if the person shows up again.

This thread sounds like a look at me thread.

Sr Tech
Premium
join:2003-01-19
New Britain, CT
reply to workablob

said by workablob:

said by Sr Tech:

I can understand the gripe as what is classic about some of these stores is that they have 10 lanes open to check you out, but only one person checking the receipts at the door. Poor management, they want your money quickly but bottle neck you at the door.

At all the Sam's Clubs I have shopped there is only one small exit so putting a bunch of people there is not practical. I have seen two checkers at one time but that's all.

I have taken the 'outta my way' attitude and walked past without issue once but now I just respect the person doing their job and all the other folks playing by the rules as laid out in the membership terms.

And, all the people that have ever checked my receipt are very friendly and I have developed a rapport with several of them.

Dave

Correct, and it's the same way here as well. You would think they would enlarge the exit door and put more people, or have someone check you right after paying at the register and mark your receipt and off you go. Then one person could be at the door quickly letting people out just having to check the receipt that it was verified instead of having to go though the entire cart.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to howardfine

If the store feels that you are trespassing, yes they can call the police.
When I worked mall security, many years ago. It was interesting to see how many people thought that the mall was public property.
They tried telling me that I couldn't evict them from the property [customers]. One was determined to stay until I called the police. The police informed the person that the mall, and any store is private property. If the owner wants to bar someone entry, they can. As long as it is a legal issue, like the person caused trouble [not religion, skin color, sex, handicapped].

What it boils down to is this. As long as you behave, your welcome. Become a nuisance and you are no longer welcomed and are trespassing. Then it becomes a case of you breaking the law.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY
reply to workablob

said by workablob:

At all the Sam's Clubs I have shopped there is only one small exit so putting a bunch of people there is not practical. I have seen two checkers at one time but that's all.

I have taken the 'outta my way' attitude and walked past without issue once but now I just respect the person doing their job and all the other folks playing by the rules as laid out in the membership terms.

And, all the people that have ever checked my receipt are very friendly and I have developed a rapport with several of them.

Dave

Receipt checks are usually fast. I have never waited more than a minute even on a busy day.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
Hartsdale, NY
reply to workablob

said by workablob:

I'm curious as to how they will be able to equate the OP with a particular account.

It's very possible but probable?

Now, if he continually does this that's another story.

Dave

Those places are loaded with security cameras on each register and exit. It would easy to look up a member's name.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Emptydarkone

said by Emptydarkone:

Receipts: To ensure that you are charged correctly for the merchandise you have selected, you will be requested to show your receipt when exiting.

Requested and Required are two different words, with vastly different meanings.
Expand your moderator at work

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2
reply to Rob

Re: Sams club tried stopping me, what can they do?

And you'd be wrong. The idea of receipt checking is a psychological effect on the would be criminals in making them believe they will be caught. It's the idea that it would stymie would be thieves.

Yes, for the cashiers.

It's not reasonable to think that a customer would have a stolen item in his cart, and then go through the checkout where a cashier would almost certainly see it. The cashier would just ring it up.

It's also not reasonable to think that a customer would somehow sneak an item, hidden down his pants, past the checkout cashier and then pull the item back out and put it in his bag while heading toward the "receipt checker." He would leave it in his pants.

The receipt checking is to make sure that things that were supposedly rung up have actually been rung up. It's a cheap loss-prevention-by-cashier technique. You can't have 12 security officers watching 12 register cameras - would cost a fortune. They can watch tapes, but they aren't going to watch ALL the tapes - only those preceding an incident where an unrung item was found by the receipt checker.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to fartness

This again?

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to fartness

You went into Sams for a candy bar?????????????????? lol! you wasted your life. go to a gas station next time.

And if you do shop at a store like Sams and know you will wait in line, wait in line or don't shop there.

You probably wasted more than 6 seconds of other people's time that were in line while the checker tried to deal with you. For shame. Wasting people's time like that.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
Hartsdale, NY
reply to Johnny

I don't think you realize how these clubs are set up. Once you purchase your items, you can easily wheel your cart back on to the merchandise floor and take an item(s) and walk out with the original receipt in hand if it is not checked. This loss prevention applies to both the employees and customers since a security person cannot possibly see every square foot of those large clubs on live cameras.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by ROCINANTE:

I don't think you realize how these clubs are set up. Once you purchase your items, you can easily wheel your cart back on to the merchandise floor and take an item(s) and walk out with the original receipt in hand if it is not checked. This loss prevention applies to both the employees and customers since a security person cannot possibly see every square foot of those large clubs on live cameras.

This. With the amount of merchandise that customers walk by on the way to the door they can easily grab other things. This is what the receipt checker told me at sams one afternoon. They are checking for these items and a few other key items. Other stores keep merchandise before the registers.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to ROCINANTE

But security could easily see anyone pushing a cart from a checkout line back into the merchandise area, and then watch them, and see them place other items in the cart and not go through another checkout line.

Unless you go backwards through a checkout line, there's usually only one way (or, in the case of Fry's Electronics in Palo Alto, no way, without leaving the store and going back in the entrance) to get back to the merchandise. Surely that is a monitored area. It would be very unusual for someone to check out and then go back into the merchandise area, and security would see that.

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to swintec

And you'd be wrong. The idea of receipt checking is a psychological effect on the would be criminals in making them believe they will be caught. It's the idea that it would stymie would be thieves.

The receipt checker said that because that's what they were told.

The store would rather pay someone to watch for that rather than just move all that stuff back behind the registers? What good does it do to have merchandise at a place where, if the customer picks it up, he can't pay for it?

Tell me this: if the receipt-checking isn't to catch dishonest cashiers who have accomplices, then how DO they catch dishonest cashiers? Real-time surveillance of every single checkout station? It would have to be real-time, since they want the accomplice also. And they'd have to actually find the merchandise in the accomplice's bag.

It's much cheaper to let the cashiers know that item counts are being done (even if many customers decline) and that "unrung" items will probably be found. "If you get a friend of yours to pick up 5 DVDs and you only ring up 1, you will most likely get caught and sent to jail."

Of course, this can all be defeated by having many cashiers all in cahoots with 20 or so customers. All of these 20 customers choose a checkout line staffed by one of the corrupt cashiers, and they all decline the receipt check. If security watches the video of these "suspect" customers leaving the registers, they will see that they came from many different cashiers. Nobody to blame. Logistically very difficult, and most likely a little arm-twisting would get one of the conspirators to squeal on the others.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

I told them how the lady was about to tell me off but she stopped short of doing so.

How do you know what she was going to say ? Or are you assuming ?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Emptydarkone

said by Sam's Club policy :

Receipts: To ensure that you are charged correctly for the merchandise you have selected, you will be requested to show your receipt when exiting.

So the receipt-checker knows the price of every item in the store ?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

1) I don't know any cashiers, 2) so let them pull their TSA style crap on someone else.

1) How do they know if you know or don't know any of the cashiers ? 2) They do.

datguy11

@verizon.net
reply to Snakeoil

Snakeoil,

You may find this interesting:

Except when it comes to a legal strike and a picket line is formed. The NLRB gives striking workers certain priveleges, one of them being able to picket a "struck" business or "struck" work inside a mall or shopping area.

In that specific case, an "eviction" would not be allowed, it would be illegal and could open the owner and its employees to charges if they took matters into their own hands.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

But there is a difference between a strike and an unruly customer.

When I currently live, there is a grocery store that has a union striking against it.
As the store is non-union, the union members that are protesting aren't allowed on the property. So they have to carry their signs on the side walk. Funny thing is, that store is busy, the strikers/union protest is being ignored for the most part.

I've been tempted to stop at the store and buy some store brand soda. Then offer it to the strikers/protesters, as I imagine it can be thirsty work.
Thank you though. I did find that interesting. That striking employees can carry out their protest inside a mall. Though I wonder if they'd be allowed if they started fighting with customers? That becomes a public safety concern, I would imagine.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to fartness

Get a life Francis. The person at the door has job to do. Let them do it.
And if you were in such a hurry, why did you stop a Sam's anyway? You know the drill at the door. Next time, don't be in such a hurry or be an asshole. Everyone who shops at Sam's knows the rules and abides by them. And you sir are no different.

Now for funzies, when I get to the door with my cartload of goods I always ask the checker if they're ready to chase me thru the parking lot. They always say not today and we all get a good chuckle out of it. Makes their day a bit more pleasant and I still get out without minimal fuss.
--
“I find your lack of faith disturbing.” - Darth Vader.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3

1 edit

The OP obviously has no respect for the checker or the other members of the club he shops at, if he has to cut in front of the line carrying a box of candy bars for his gas station. He probably wasted more time confronting the checker, then it would have been for him to patiently wait in line.
--
Getting it Done.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to fartness

Maybe she felt sorry for you.

datgiuy11

@verizon.net
reply to Snakeoil

Snakeoil,

I would guess at the grocery store, they are informational picketing, rather then a legal strike. My story was when there is a legal strike against an employer, and that employer has retail stores in malls, etc where its private property. In that case the mall cannot kick out the strikers (although there are rules to be followed).

They cannot start fighting with customers, well they can I guess, but usually an injuction gets filed that limits distance and number of picketers among other things.

Funny thing is that in most cases, owner of private property have certain rights, but NLRB trumps that for labor strikes.. who knew? And owners of private property get trumped for utility easements such as telephone poles and gas/electric lines that run over and under such property

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Johnny

said by Johnny:

The receipt checker said that because that's what they were told.

The store would rather pay someone to watch for that rather than just move all that stuff back behind the registers? What good does it do to have merchandise at a place where, if the customer picks it up, he can't pay for it?

My example is for a warehouse club where the entire floor is devoted to pallets of product. The entrance and exit are very close to each other. As soon as you walk in there is 8+ pallets of product for whatever they are trying to push that particular season. The backside of those pallets is people walking by leaving the store pushing carts. it is nothing for them to reach and grab a case of whatever and drop it in there cart. Everytime I have watched the checkers, they either do a quick item count if the amount of stuff is a fairly low amount or they do a spot check for certain items which is easy to tell if you watch them. I was told key items were electronics or the merchandise that is within reach as customers leave the store.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA

Still makes no sense to have it within reach of someone who couldn't pay for it. They should put up some plywood.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
reply to Emptydarkone

said by Emptydarkone:

said by fartness:

What can she do? What can the manager do? I paid so I'm not stealing anything.

It is bad enough I have to wait forever in the checkout line and then to top of all off, I have to wait when leaving.

It's in the membership agreement:

General Policies

Children and Guests: Our Members are welcome to bring their children and up to two guests to Sam's Club. A Member must accompany children and guests – at all times. Only a Member may purchase items. Children may not be left unsupervised. Parents are responsible for their children. Members are responsible for any items opened or damaged by their guests, children or themselves.
Dress Code: Shoes and shirts are required.
Smoking: Not allowed in the Club.
Tobacco and Liquor: No sales to minors.

The key word is: Requested. Requested is different than Required. They can request, and he can deny.
--
No Victim=No Crime

whatevrzclvr

join:2005-11-16
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
reply to fartness

They can't and won't do anything... but that doesn't make it OK.

You and I know very well the purpose of the receipt check is to ensure nothing leaves the door without being paid for.

Sam's, Costco, and BJ's have tiny margins on the products they sell - to make money while keeping prices low, they have to keep tight inventory control (checking you at the door) and by keeping their staffing levels low (long check out lines). That's how you get your candy for next to nothing.

When you bought your membership, there were a set of terms that both sides agreed to - in this instance, you agreed to a check at the door. Can they enforce it? Not really - the candy was legally yours and the worst they could do is revoke your membership for not complying with the terms of the agreement. Will the enforce it? Probably not - it's not worth it to pursue one person who think his time is more important than everyone elses. Next time, don't be a jackass - wait at the door and help keep everyone's prices low.