Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

[AR] HTPC awsomeness

Click for full size
I got my cable card tuner installed today. This by far is the best option for a cable card setup and the price is sweet. $2 for a cable card plus programming.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Do you have the SDV tuning adapter? how did that go?

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
Arkansas should be using a Motorola Tuning Adapter, I don't know if the deployment of SDV has reached all markets and nodes.

The Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 did not support SDV at first launch, but does now, though I am curious how reliable it is.

Here is the support link with the latest Motorola Tuning adapter firmware.
»www.hauppauge.com/site/s ··· 650.html

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
it's the box to the right on my cable card tuner. Install of the equipment was super easy. The hardest part was dealing with cox to pair the cable card to the tuner.
jchambers28

jchambers28 to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
It's working flawlessly with the tuning adapter. only compalint is the usb cable are really short. I have some long ones coming from monoprice shortly.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Do you know what channels in your market are using SDV? Except for Arizona Cox does not post them.

Common HD SDV channels are MSNBCHD, EncoreHD, EpixHD, BBCAHD, Weather Channel HD. But every market is different.

Common SD SDV channels are in the Variety, Movie, Sports & Info, Faith and Values and Latino Packages.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

Click for full size
COXFortSmith.pdf
138,935 bytes
Here is the channels in the local market. the channels with a ^ by them are SDV channels.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Interesting, That notation "^" is new since I last looked. Good to see Kansas and Arkansas are disclosing SDV in the channel listing PDF. Perhaps more markets will as well.

Also interesting, no HD channels are listed as SDV.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

Click for full size
My only problem how do I fix these errors. windows is active
and I ran the cable adviser.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Google PlayReady issues or troubleshooting, I have seen this issue in several postings.

»www.microsoft.com/PlayRe ··· iew.mspx

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

It's working fine I am not going to worry about it. I have not got any play ready error message I wont worry about till i get a notice.
tim92078
join:2010-07-15
San Marcos, CA

tim92078 to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
This will affect you if channels are copy protected, a policy Cox applies inconsistently across various systems.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

I heard it only applies to PPV and premium channels like HBO Starz ect.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Some areas the CCI byte is set to 0x02 on every channel.
that will limit you to WMC.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

jchambers28

Premium Member

Cox installed a 8 DB attenuator on my line a year ago. I just checked out my HD channels. some of them are tiling up. If I install a amp on the TV line will it fix the tiling up. Cox wants me to pay them $40 to have them remove it. I can get a amp cheaper than that.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

said by BryanInPHX:

Interesting, That notation "^" is new since I last looked. Good to see Kansas and Arkansas are disclosing SDV in the channel listing PDF. Perhaps more markets will as well.

I noticed Louisiana now also notes SDV channels in thier PDF line-up.

I posted a thread of SDV markets and whether or not they currently post SDV listings.
»[CATV] SDV markets that note channels in line-up

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

Thaks for doing that. Will a amp fix my problem?

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

I would not place an amp in front of an attenuator. I would split the coax feed before the attenuator and run separate lines to the modem and HTPC.

Why is the attenuator there in the first place?

What are your HTPC tuner signals currently?

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by BryanInPHX:

I would not place and amp in front of an attenuator. I would split the coax feed before the attenuator and run separate lines to the modem and HTPC.

Why is the attenuator there in the first place?

What are your HTPC tuner signals currently?

on the channels that are tiling I have a -14 dbm
- 8 on the rest of the HD channels

They installed one because the upstream signal was too low. The attenuator is in this lock box. Cox sure is charging a lot of money now days for tech visits.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
Is the coax line going to your Cox Motorola Box also on the same line as the attenuator?
»[CATV] New motorola digital box

If not what are the signal levels at that box?

The Motorola Tuning Adapter may also be dropping the signal as much as -3dB

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

Cox installed a 8 DB attenuator on my line a year ago. I just checked out my HD channels. some of them are tiling up. If I install a amp on the TV line will it fix the tiling up. Cox wants me to pay them $40 to have them remove it. I can get a amp cheaper than that.

What are your MODEM signal levels?

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

jchambers28

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by dvd536:

said by jchambers28:

What are your MODEM signal levels?

I called support the rep setup a service appointment for the modem errors and the box errors.
jchambers28

jchambers28

Premium Member

I only have one line going into the APT and the attenuator is dropping the signal on everything.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

I still don't understand this practice. Your upstream is 32dBmv(or whatever it really is) because the CTMS and your modem ranged to be like that. I've had a 23 upstream for a few weeks and it worked fine. I do understand that you need to be above the noise floor, but it looks like the CMTS is either screwing up or the channel is very clean. If you get lost in the noise floor your modem will range back up like it supposed to.

Then they come throw this attenuator on the line. What's the point? So say you have a 32 on the upstream. They throw on the 8db attenuator and now you have a 40 between your cable modem and the attenuator, the attenuator drops the signal 8db as it passes back out and plus you add the little bit of loss for the connections and now you have even a worse signal going out. It just creates a false reading on the modem is all it does. If they really wanted to fix it right they need to reconfigure the CMTS.

Just throwing parts at problem doesn't fix it unless the person knows what they are doing.
tim92078
join:2010-07-15
San Marcos, CA

tim92078 to jchambers28

to jchambers28
Their tier 2 (or 3?!) techs have meters that can be used to test the line and get a good idea of what conditions really are. It can take quite a bit of persistence to actually get a problem fixed though... completely understand why you'd consider buying an amp. I bought (and returned) one earlier this year rather than fight with Cox. Tell 'em upfront, "no contractors." Until you're dealing with an employee its just service call theater.

I for sure wouldn't put an amp on a line that has an attenuator installed though. You can't amplify what's not there... and it's not so much about signal strength, it's about quality/errors. I'd take the position with them that they chose to install the attenuator, that conditions on their network changed - so why should you have to pay for the service call to have it removed?

You probably know already that any and every problem will initially be blamed on your cablecard and your personally-owned equipment.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by tim92078:

Their tier 2 (or 3?!) you probably know already that any and every problem will initially be blamed on your cablecard and your personally-owned equipment.

Here are my signal levels on the 2 channels that are having issues.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Removing that attenuator would bring MODEM signal levels to around +8dbmv downstream and 40dbmv upstream. SNR might improve too.
put the amp just on the VIDEO line.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

If i buy the 4 tuner ceton 4 tuner card will I be able to record 4 SDV channels at once.
dmine45
join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

dmine45

said by jchambers28:

If i buy the 4 tuner ceton 4 tuner card will I be able to record 4 SDV channels at once.

Absolutely! Or you can record up to 3 shows and watch one show live. That's the beauty of the card. Of course you need the Tuning Adapter (In my area Cox is using a Cisco STA 1520.)

Or, if you have Windows Media Center extenders (Such as the Xbox 360), other household members could watch different shows and record all at the same time.

I know someone (on Comcast, not Cox) who "maxed out" his Ceton four tuner card and got the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun system to give him three additional tuners, for a total of SEVEN tuners! (Overkill for most folks, but at least Windows Media Center can handle it!). If he were on Cox he would then need two tuning adapters (and of course, two CableCards).

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

said by dmine45:

said by jchambers28:

Absolutely! Or you can record up to 3 shows and watch one show live. That's the beauty of the card. Of course you need the Tuning Adapter (In my area Cox is using a Cisco STA 1520.)

Or, if you have Windows Media Center extenders (Such as the Xbox 360), other household members could watch different shows and record all at the same time.

I know someone (on Comcast, not Cox) who "maxed out" his Ceton four tuner card and got the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun system to give him three additional tuners, for a total of SEVEN tuners! (Overkill for most folks, but at least Windows Media Center can handle it!). If he were on Cox he would then need two tuning adapters (and of course, two CableCards).

That's what I have with DirecTV. The 5 tuner DVR and 2 tuner DVR with two other HD receivers. Everyone can watch whatever they want from the DVRs with the whole home service. Love it!