Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine

Re: Sams club tried stopping me, what can they do?

If the store feels that you are trespassing, yes they can call the police.
When I worked mall security, many years ago. It was interesting to see how many people thought that the mall was public property.
They tried telling me that I couldn't evict them from the property [customers]. One was determined to stay until I called the police. The police informed the person that the mall, and any store is private property. If the owner wants to bar someone entry, they can. As long as it is a legal issue, like the person caused trouble [not religion, skin color, sex, handicapped].

What it boils down to is this. As long as you behave, your welcome. Become a nuisance and you are no longer welcomed and are trespassing. Then it becomes a case of you breaking the law.

datguy11
@verizon.net

datguy11

Anon

Snakeoil,

You may find this interesting:

Except when it comes to a legal strike and a picket line is formed. The NLRB gives striking workers certain priveleges, one of them being able to picket a "struck" business or "struck" work inside a mall or shopping area.

In that specific case, an "eviction" would not be allowed, it would be illegal and could open the owner and its employees to charges if they took matters into their own hands.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

But there is a difference between a strike and an unruly customer.

When I currently live, there is a grocery store that has a union striking against it.
As the store is non-union, the union members that are protesting aren't allowed on the property. So they have to carry their signs on the side walk. Funny thing is, that store is busy, the strikers/union protest is being ignored for the most part.

I've been tempted to stop at the store and buy some store brand soda. Then offer it to the strikers/protesters, as I imagine it can be thirsty work.
Thank you though. I did find that interesting. That striking employees can carry out their protest inside a mall. Though I wonder if they'd be allowed if they started fighting with customers? That becomes a public safety concern, I would imagine.

datgiuy11
@verizon.net

datgiuy11

Anon

Snakeoil,

I would guess at the grocery store, they are informational picketing, rather then a legal strike. My story was when there is a legal strike against an employer, and that employer has retail stores in malls, etc where its private property. In that case the mall cannot kick out the strikers (although there are rules to be followed).

They cannot start fighting with customers, well they can I guess, but usually an injuction gets filed that limits distance and number of picketers among other things.

Funny thing is that in most cases, owner of private property have certain rights, but NLRB trumps that for labor strikes.. who knew? And owners of private property get trumped for utility easements such as telephone poles and gas/electric lines that run over and under such property
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

said by datgiuy11 :

Snakeoil,

I would guess at the grocery store, they are informational picketing, rather then a legal strike. My story was when there is a legal strike against an employer, and that employer has retail stores in malls, etc where its private property. In that case the mall cannot kick out the strikers (although there are rules to be followed).

They cannot start fighting with customers, well they can I guess, but usually an injuction gets filed that limits distance and number of picketers among other things.

Funny thing is that in most cases, owner of private property have certain rights, but NLRB trumps that for labor strikes.. who knew? And owners of private property get trumped for utility easements such as telephone poles and gas/electric lines that run over and under such property

Are you in California? California court system says malls/strip malls, even though they are private property, they function as public property, and have replaced or are the "public main street" in many communities (and there are no sidewalks in the municipality). Therefore, malls/other private spaces must establish free speech zones for non-profit soapboxing. Its unique to california. I'd give you a WP link but I'm on a phone.

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

BronsCon to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

When I currently live, there is a grocery store that has a union striking against it.
As the store is non-union, the union members that are protesting aren't allowed on the property. So they have to carry their signs on the side walk. Funny thing is, that store is busy, the strikers/union protest is being ignored for the most part.

That shit's still going on? I remember seeing them picketing on the side of the road 2 years ago while I was still living in Parma.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

yep. Sometimes it's one or two people if the weather is bad, in good weather there can be up to ten people.

datguy11
@verizon.net

datguy11 to patcat88

Anon

to patcat88
patcat88,

No I am in NY. I dont think we have that California law here, only the NLRB which is National law has provided that protection under those circumstances.

Many cops and mall security initially do not know of the NLRB protections regarding picketing on private property, but if the employer being picked has you removed/arrested by the police then they have commited an unfair labor act.. When that happens the unions lawyers step right up and the local police are informed of the law and then there are usually no furthur problems

fruhead
join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ

fruhead to BronsCon

to BronsCon
said by BronsCon:

That shit's still going on? I remember seeing them picketing on the side of the road 2 years ago while I was still living in Parma.

PARMA??!?!

(cue Theme Music) Yit-yit-yiddle dit dit dit

Sorry, I lived in Parma in the early '60s. The years of Ghoulardi and SuperHost. Ernie Anderson and Marty Sullivan were family friends.

Funny, my mother and I were just talking about Parma this past weekend. Weird.

Sorry to interuupt the snark-fest. Carry on, all!

dunworkin
Premium Member
join:2006-12-18
Bellflower, CA

1 recommendation

dunworkin

Premium Member

Cool it with the boom booms....

fruhead
join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ

fruhead

said by dunworkin:

Cool it with the boom booms....

Stay sick, knif!

I see there's going to be a GhoulardiFest in Parma this November. I'm seriously considering going...

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

BronsCon to fruhead

to fruhead
said by fruhead:

said by BronsCon:

Sorry, I lived in Parma in the early '60s. The years of Ghoulardi and SuperHost. Ernie Anderson and Marty Sullivan were family friends.

I grew up on Flowerdale, just a couple blocks from where Drew Carey lives (or at least owns a house). I'm pretty sure he wasn't living there at the time, though.

Edit: Oh, the irony... the hijacking of a thread about being rude...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I've been tempted to stop at the store and buy some store brand soda. Then offer it to the strikers/protesters, as I imagine it can be thirsty work.

DO IT, and get pics.