spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

darknecros

join:2008-03-20

[NV] Question about NAT type and how to get it changed.

I am using a PS3 and it is showing that I have a NAT type of 2, on some games it recommends a NAT type of 1.
I've tried everything from putting my PS3 into the DMZ and even directly connecting it to the modem, but it is still showing up NAT 2.

Is there any way to get it changed to NAT type 1? or is it stuck at NAT type 2 at the ISP level?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
said by darknecros:

I am using a PS3 and it is showing that I have a NAT type of 2, on some games it recommends a NAT type of 1.
I've tried everything from putting my PS3 into the DMZ and even directly connecting it to the modem, but it is still showing up NAT 2.

Is there any way to get it changed to NAT type 1? or is it stuck at NAT type 2 at the ISP level?

The question to you, and I can already give myself the answer with you mentioning DMZ. Are you using a router? If so that is the reason your seeing NAT type 2. Also there is nothing wrong with having a NAT type 2. The main thing is if your game is a multiplayer, that the needed ports are open for that game. Pretty much all routers should have a UPnP option, and it should be enabled, and if so the PS3 should say its also enabled. As for getting a NAT type 1, that will only happen if your direct connected to the modem without a router.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
reply to darknecros
NAT Type 1: No router, PS3 has a public routable IP.
NAT Type 2: Router connected, ports properly forwarded.
NAT Type 3: Router connected, no port forwarding enabled.

NAT Type 1 is not possible if you have a router and/or more than one device sharing the Internet connection, typically NAT Type 2 is as good as it gets in that situation.
--
-- CoxTech1

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
said by CoxTech1:

NAT Type 1: No router, PS3 has a public routable IP.
NAT Type 2: Router connected, ports properly forwarded.
NAT Type 3: Router connected, no port forwarding enabled.

NAT Type 1 is not possible if you have a router and/or more than one device sharing the Internet connection, typically NAT Type 2 is as good as it gets in that situation.

Well NAT Type 1 is possible, if you are using a switch, and have multiple IP's available. That is using a wired network though, and I personally don't suggest gaming over wireless. If your playing online games that are FPS, because ping, and latency is a key thing when playing them kind of games online.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
reply to darknecros
If the router supports UPnP, enable that and you'll solve most game console connection issues.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
said by No_Strings:

If the router supports UPnP, enable that and you'll solve most game console connection issues.

Well that is one nice feature the last two call of dutys makers have done to there console games. It shows once your online on there game, if your connection is Open, Moderate, or Strict. Also suggest on how to correct the problem.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
Except when that nice little feature breaks like it did for the latest MW game. I know many friends who would have to put in MW2, signed in, then eject and put in MW3 just to get a Open NAT.