signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to aannoonn

Re: [Rant/Rave] Smashburger / Five Guys

I think one of the problems with so much beef is that the cattle are fed crap corn almost their entire lives. The animals basically live sickly, malnourished lives penned up in foot high feces on shot after shot of medication and assorted things. And we eat them!

There is a place in a nearby town here that has organic, humanly raised beef burgers from local cattle. Problem is, it costs a fortune and the owner is a bit of an egotist from what I hear. I've never eaten there, obviously.

I just don't eat many burgers. I am overweight as it is (working on that) and try to eat wholesome food when I can, and I can't afford to eat out, let alone, eating out in CT is expensive, better (less big chain outfits, more mom and pop good places), much better, but more expensive.

I am glad I've escaped the clusterf of the massive chain retailer/restaurant culture in TN where I was. Nothing against the people there, they are wonderful folks, but their high tolerance for massive corporate stores is troubling.

Example: In Clarksville the main grocery store is Walmart. There are THREE such stores in that modest sized city. There are two so so Kroger's and an awful Food Lion. In the town 40 minutes from where I lived there is just a tiny tiny tiny Piggly Wiggly which is HORRIBLE. It is sad that you have to travel over 50 minutes on local highway to get to a Walmart, of all places, to get produce.

Yes, most of us get produce from large chains, but I have less problem with shopping at Stop and Shop for lettuce than Wally World. That's just me.

So I prefer small chains and mom and pop restaurants. Many of them pay better, and the food is better.

The place I describe, the burger joint, in a nearby town where I can get what I want on it, is G's Burgers. The taste isn't miles different, but at least it is standard to TELL them what you want on it, and things like their chili is homemade. I just wish they had special buns like how Fuddrucker's did it.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to aannoonn
Smashburger sounds painful.

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to aannoonn
I have both a Five guys and a Smashburger local to me. Neither one is very good. The Five guys is, as was mentioned earlier, a dull and uninspired burger. The smashburger by me over-salts everything, so everthing tastes like a block of salt.
--
Learn from the past and look to the future.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Retired6
said by Retired6:

said by aannoonn :

I think Five Guys is better than Smashburger.

Yeah, but Five Guys doesn't even come close to In-N-Out Burger.

»www.innoutburger.com/

And while In-N-Out is good, Whataburger is better. We have both around here. »www.whataburger.com
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to aannoonn
We have a Smashburger but never had them. 5 Guys is ok - nothing special. Nice to have a lot of toppings to add and make it your own but other than that.........
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to BK3
5-guys has the best fries.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
I go to 5 guys for the free peanuts. I once walked in and grabbed a boat of peanuts and walked out. Felt like a boss.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
said by thegeek:

I go to 5 guys for the free peanuts. I once walked in and grabbed a boat of peanuts and walked out. Felt like a boss.

violator

--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
google this "(sqrt(cos(x))*cos(200*x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.7)*(4-x*x)^0.01, sqrt(9-x^2), -sqrt(9-x^2)"

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to aannoonn
Never heard of smashburger. I have had 5 guys once maybe twice in my life. I don't remember how well I liked it but it must not have impressed me since I really haven't been back.

I don't normally order burgers when I go out. (I prefer to eat something I can't make at home) But I have often ordered burgers at Red Robin.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
I liked Five Guys, but not the price. I think price is In-N-Out's biggest selling point. It's pretty much the best you can get in the 1-3 dollar range.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to Retired6
Have not been to 5 guys but In and Out is fabulous.

Dave

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
reply to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

said by Retired6:

said by aannoonn :

I think Five Guys is better than Smashburger.

Yeah, but Five Guys doesn't even come close to In-N-Out Burger.

»www.innoutburger.com/

And while In-N-Out is good, Whataburger is better. We have both around here. »www.whataburger.com

QFT!
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to aannoonn
Both too expensive for me. Id rather have Whataburger.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
reply to aannoonn
A Five Guys and a Wayback Burgers recently opened near me and I tried both. Neither impressed me and both were overpriced. From my recollection Wayback was almost $15 for a burger, fries and milk shake.

Nothing beats my George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Burning Grilling Machine Burgers with George Foreman Lean Mean Spin Frying Machine French Fries. Add lettuce, tomato, onion, jalapenos, ketchup and cheese and I'm good.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to Duramax08
No Whatabrugers here, but we have Zinburger, which also sells booze - »www.zinburgernj.com

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to aannoonn
Five Guys is OK, but always seems rather slow.

I wish they had SOMETHING else as a side dish other than greasy French Fries.

Yeah, I'll enjoy the baconburger or whatever. But to try to balance it out a little, would it kill them to offer a salad? No, they insist on a big greasy brown bag of fries, so it kills the customer instead....

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Duramax08
In honor of this thread, I shall eat whataburger for lunch.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
I enjoy Five Guys, but the price is steep, and it does give me stomach issues (most fast food does though). I have yet to try a place called "Fatburger", but I hear it's decent.

GroovyPhoenx

join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON
reply to aannoonn
Five guys is decent. can't comment about Smash since there is none but Five Guys opened in Ottawa area recently and I will say, I loved the burger, a lot better then say BK or McD's but between The Works and FG I'd pick FG fries with The Works burgers, but the problem with The Works is they take 30 minutes to cook the burger! Too long when you're hungry.

I will say I enjoyed teh Five Guy burger though.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
reply to aannoonn
Smashburger is definitely better hands down. There Smashfries are the best too. Tossed with olive oil and rosemary lightly and hardly salted...perfect. The burgers are delicious. Recommend either getting the Smash Classic or Husker Smash and follow up with a small Spicy Baja smashburger. mmmmmmm I'm going there now. 5 out of 5 stars.

Five Guys was very bland and I won't be going back. The peanuts seem like an out of place gimmick and their fries come in cup and you add generic seasoned salt? What makes that so special? 0 out of 5 stars.
--
I'm not loafing. I work so fast I'm always finished.
If idiots could fly, this would be an airport.

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

said by thegeek:

Five Guys is the best thing ever for constipation. Every single time I eat Five Guys I'm on the pot shitting my guts out within the hour.

But it's a good burger.

White Castle is the best for that problem! They however do not have a good burger.

You need to put a little more mustard on them...

Oh, and cheese. Cheese will keep 'em in the system just a bit longer.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Msradell
I have yet to have any restaurant food do that - well - other than the one time I had food poisoning. Taco Bell does nto even do that - there are times I wish it would but it never does....
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Lucky you. I can't eat most fast food without having to be near a WC anymore.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to aannoonn
Haven't been to Smash burger. With five guys, it depends on which of their locations you go to..

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to mod_wastrel
said by mod_wastrel:

Angus beef burgers taste different (to me anyway). There's a local restaurant (downtown, lunch & after-work bar/eatery type place) that only uses Angus beef for it's burgers--tastes great; they have great fries, too. But they ain't cheap--about $7 or $8 for a burger, fries, and a cola.

$7-$8 is the norm for McDonalds double Quarter Pound meal around here. Five guys is about $11-$12 for same. That said, I like Five Guys, especially the fries and they are not stingy with them.

Never had a Smashburger, sounds like the Incredible Hulks burger place,lol.

Another good place is Bobby's Burger Palace, pretty good food there.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

aannoonn

@optonline.net
5 guys burger is $5.39 here ($4.09 for a single burger).

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

said by thegeek:

Five Guys is the best thing ever for constipation. Every single time I eat Five Guys I'm on the pot shitting my guts out within the hour.

But it's a good burger.

White Castle is the best for that problem! They however do not have a good burger.

Awww cmon... don't knock the white castle.... They serve their purpose and I didn't think they taste bad. Slyders/bellybombers are the way to go on a drunk night.

My best for burgers that I can get around here.

-Sonic
-Burger king
-Hardees (they have some good ones these days. They also have some damn fine tacos too!)
-Jack in the Box- depending on what you get here, it can be a phenominal burger
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to aannoonn

Usually FIVE GUYS is quite delicious!!!! (Best i have had)

A few times i have gotton crappy service but thankfully NOT VERY OFTEN!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to David

Re: [Rant/Rave] Smashburger / Five Guys

quote:
They serve their purpose and I didn't think they taste bad.
Ugh - they are really, really, really bad.... Just plain horrible.
--
Brian