All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
piperj
join:2006-01-16
El Dorado Hills, CA

piperj

Configuring router (ASUS RTN66U) behind router (2Wire 1701)

Since I can't get the 2Wire 1701 into a stable bridge mode (see "1701 bridge mode fail" thread below) I want to try plugging the ASUS into the 2Wire in normal mode and seeing if I can get the ASUS into a client bridge mode. (Background - I am running a Linksys WRT54GL with DDWRT in client bridge mode to connect my DAW / VSTi computers with IPMIDI (MIDI over IP) through the WRT54GL which is wireless bridged back to the 2Wire 1701 for internet access.)

Even though I'm not a complete noob to routing puzzles I have these questions:

1) The ASUS ISP connection mode can be set to Dynamic IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP or Static IP. Does this setting only apply to signals coming in through the WAN port? Should I plug the cable from the 2Wire into the ASUS WAN port or regular LAN port? If the WAN port, how should the ISP connection mode be set?

2) I have read that in router behind router setups each should be on a different subnet. The computers on my bridged Linksys have static IPs with default gateway and DNS pointing back to the 2Wire all on the same subnet. Is this only working because DDWRT offers a specific client bridge mode that the ASUS probably does not have?

3) Since the ASUS has an SPI firewall, port forwarding and NAT, would the 2wire DMZplus mode feeding the ASUS router have any serious downside and be more likely to succeed than trying the router behind router configuration?

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by piperj:

I want to try plugging the ASUS into the 2Wire in normal mode and seeing if I can get the ASUS into a client bridge mode

There are options that should work for you
said by piperj:

1) The ASUS ISP connection mode can be set to Dynamic IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP or Static IP. Does this setting only apply to signals coming in through the WAN port? Should I plug the cable from the 2Wire into the ASUS WAN port or regular LAN port? If the WAN port, how should the ISP connection mode be set?

The isp connection mode is for the wan/internet port only
said by piperj:

3) Since the ASUS has an SPI firewall, port forwarding and NAT, would the 2wire DMZplus mode feeding the ASUS router have any serious downside and be more likely to succeed than trying the router behind router configuration?

The router behind router configuration is the 2wire dmzplus mode
wayjac

wayjac to piperj

MVM

to piperj
Do you want to use just the wireless of the asus and let the 2wire be the router/modem
piperj
El Dorado Hills, CA

piperj

Thanks for the insight and tips wayjac. Because of ASUS hardware specs I would like for it to do as much as possible. Will try it tomorrow. 2Wire in normal to ASUS LAN port in DMZ. Since I don't think I can turn the 2wire wireless off I will set it to a low channel and turn the power all the way down. I'll post results tomorrow.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by piperj:

Because of ASUS hardware specs I would like for it to do as much as possible. 2Wire in normal to ASUS LAN port in DMZ

Since the 2wire uses the 192.168.1.0 subnet the asus will need to use a different subnet like 192.168.2.0
said by piperj:

Since I don't think I can turn the 2wire wireless off I will set it to a low channel and turn the power all the way down. I'll post results tomorrow.

The 2wire wireless radio can be disabled
Go to this 2wire page
192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C0
Click the disable button next to wireless
piperj
El Dorado Hills, CA

piperj

Ahh - right you are about that Disable button at 192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C01 (looked at that screen hundreds of times, but never "saw" that button).

It's kinda moot now - Ever notice the note on the 2Wire Edit Firewall Settings screen "Once DMZplus mode is selected and you click DONE, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer." Seems that when the ASUS is in its default Wireless router mode it will not accept the IP assignment when the 2Wire tries to put it in the DMZ.

Fortunately, on the ASUS Administration - Operation Mode screen, the other selectable mode is Access Point (AP) mode. That screen also states "In AP mode, the firewall, IP sharing, and NAT functions are disabled by default. RT-N66U IP will be different after changing to Access Point mode." So with one click and a LAN port to LAN port cable all is well.

This is not the topology I was envisioning, but it is actually working out quite well. With cell phones, security camera, multiple computers, Wii, Roku, DDWRT/Linksys wireless bridge, etc. I have 11 wireless devices on my home network. So now I have three wireless bands to carry the appropriate traffic.

The 2Wire seems more stable with the lighter wireless load.

BTW - the ASUS is expensive, but it is one sweet device! Rich administration screens, Samba share screen for attached USB drives, FTP share to USB drive with account and permission control, DLNA media server and built in clients for Bit Torrent, NZB, and aMule downloads directly to the attached USB drive! I did a quick wireless transfer speed test by transferring a 1GB folder (pictures and movies) with 2.4 GHz n adapter from my desktop - it took 5 min. 34 sec. The same folder on my laptop only took 3 min. 38 sec. through a 5 GHz n adapter. Also, a call to tech support last Friday went straight through to an understandable, knowledgeable technician (of course after I got through the answering system menu).

They are hard to find online, and I was surprised to find one last week on the shelf at a local Fry's.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by piperj:

Ever notice the note on the 2Wire Edit Firewall Settings screen "Once DMZplus mode is selected and you click DONE

After clicking the done button you must release and renew the wan/public ip address of the router, If you don't do that the router will keep using the private ip address until the private ip address lease expires