spc
uniqs

Skittles_
@direcway.com

Skittles_ to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

Has anyone tried Half - Life 1 online? And Team Fortress Classic? Maybe even Counter Strike?

Ok I've decided that tonight I'll purchase TFC and CS and see how they do online. I played HL a while ago and didn't run great.

And for the first few tries, MK7 wouldn't connect to the server, but just now, it connected. So that's nice.

I will also be testing other games such as Blockland, Atmosphir, and maybe roblox if I feel like getting back into my old account.

Doc Lithius
join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius

None of the games you mentioned are really all that playable on HughesNet due to the fact there's a great deal of jitter on the connection. Even with pings of 1,000 MS+, the games would be playable. However, due to it being satellite-based, the connection likes to hiccup and jump around a lot (960ms -> 1271ms -> 1681ms -> 2250ms -> 984ms -> 1103ms, etc. etc.) creating random, unplayable conditions in which you rubber-band and warp around a lot. I will admit that two first-person shooters run fairly well under HughesNet: PlanetSide, due to how it handles connections, and Borderlands, which still plays less-than satisfactory, but you can actually run around and shoot things without a lot of bouncing around.

As mentioned above, Mario Kart 7 is pretty good on HughesNet! I will add that sometimes Red/Blue Shells take a couple seconds to hit their target and holding an item behind you may not always save you from being hit, and of course, depending on how close a race is, you may place one place, but get bumped down a place or two on the score screen. Otherwise, it works pretty darn well.

I haven't heard of two of the three last games you've mentioned, but I'm interested to know how they run on HughesNet.

Skittles_
@direcway.com

Skittles_

Anon

said by Doc Lithius:

None of the games you mentioned are really all that playable on HughesNet due to the fact there's a great deal of jitter on the connection. Even with pings of 1,000 MS+, the games would be playable. However, due to it being satellite-based, the connection likes to hiccup and jump around a lot (960ms -> 1271ms -> 1681ms -> 2250ms -> 984ms -> 1103ms, etc. etc.) creating random, unplayable conditions in which you rubber-band and warp around a lot. I will admit that two first-person shooters run fairly well under HughesNet: PlanetSide, due to how it handles connections, and Borderlands, which still plays less-than satisfactory, but you can actually run around and shoot things without a lot of bouncing around.

As mentioned above, Mario Kart 7 is pretty good on HughesNet! I will add that sometimes Red/Blue Shells take a couple seconds to hit their target and holding an item behind you may not always save you from being hit, and of course, depending on how close a race is, you may place one place, but get bumped down a place or two on the score screen. Otherwise, it works pretty darn well.

I haven't heard of two of the three last games you've mentioned, but I'm interested to know how they run on HughesNet.

That sucks. I was wanting to play those, too. Also, I wonder if Borderlands 2 will be able to play with Hughes Net.

MK7 is really amazing online. The only problems I have with MK7 is it not connecting to the internet and giving me an error code allot of the times.

I don't even know if I'll get to those 3 cuz I haven't downloaded them yet :P

Also, if you have been wondering if Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 works online, I can test them sometime later. But I'll get right on those ASAP.