uniqs
share rss forum feed

norepli

join:2012-03-05
Downingtown, PA

2 edits

Motorola RNG150N Activation Problems

Hello all,

I tried to add a second Infinity box (Motorola RNG150N) to my existing Comcast cable service (DCX3400 DVR) and couldn't get it to work after 3 hours (on the phone) with 3 different Comcast techs. I did swap the boxes to make sure the problem "stayed with the new box"; however, some strange things also happened during this testing process. After all testing was done, I tried to return the DCX3400 DVR to its original outlet; however, upon power-up, I received a brief message stating that my "Comcast cable service has been compromised" and then I received an error code 1200 telling me that my TV (Panasonic 720p 40" Plasma) may not be compatible with HD service. So, I immediately called Comcast and they reset the box and everything was fine thereafter. Its also funny that the rep stated she was still receiving a response from the new box that was now sitting on my dining room table (waiting to be returned). Could there be two boxes with the same MAC address out there and since this RNG150N is also an "anywhere DVR box", could that also be why the new addition did not work? Any insight would be appreciated because the box is going back at 8am today and I don't want another RNG150N if its incompatible with "non anywhere DVR boxes."

Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

norepli

norepli

Downingtown, PA

1 edit
OK; finally figured this out! Apparently, this Moto RNG150N comes in two different models... a DCX3400 w/dvr and a DCx3200 just HD. They both look the same but the specific model number is located on the bottom of the unit. So,the first box was a DCX3400 (given to me in error by an intern at the local Comcast office) and when I took it home, Comcast tried to activate "HD only service without DVR", and the box did not cooperate. So, what did the phone rep do next? She simply adds the DVR option to my account (never informed me of that) and tries to configure it again... of course that didn't work either but she did leave those extra DVR charges on my account (which I found out about when I took the box back). So the local rep removed the charges without any explanation (or offer to investigate further).

So now I get the correct box, a DCX3200, and I take it home, call Comcast, and it boots right up; however, this new phone rep also decided to give me a parting gift, in the form of a charge for an "extra HD box" (which I discovered after returning to the local office out of fear that some new erroneous charges might appear... and they did)! So now the local rep removed this second erroneous charge and told me everything will be fine; however, I will be making a trip back to the local office in 7 days to make sure that the current charges have "remained unchanged." What a 3-ring circus! Thanks Comcast...

bridgyare yo

@comcast.net
are you saying that your box is actually a 3200 but on the lower right front panel it says RNG150n? I hooked up a logitech revue on the DCX3400,however I want to change it to another room,which the box says is MK# RNG150n.The Revue is only compatible with 3400's and 3200's.

norepli

Downingtown, PA
Yes, there are two versions and they both the have Xfinity on the front/left side of the box and RNG150N on the front/right side of the box. However, if you look at the bottom, there is a model number that will either read as a DCX3400 or DCX3200. The new employee (eg, intern at the Comcast local office) gave me the wrong box (DCX3400) which started this whole mess; however, when I finally got the correct box (DCX3200) everything was fine.