dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

[OS X] Imac == AWSOME

Got my new machine - Imac, I7, 16 gigs, 27 inch display......

I am speechless - and that takes some doing.

I LOVE the keyboard and magic trakpad

IMHO - Microsoft really missed the boat

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Glad you're happy...but why the need to bring Microsoft into the equation (and bash them). Can't we have a "Microsoft-less" thread?

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

1 recommendation

dellsweig

MVM

I have (and continue to be) a Microsoft user - both at home and in the office - I manage over 2000 Windows based servers ( as well as 1800 Linux servers)

It is completely fair to bring them into the discussion....

I look around the room here - 4 Windows based machines - and one Imac....

Hardware - I cant find the words to describe the comparisions
Software - same as above

I am not bashing - but looking at the two ecosystems side by side - its hard not to draw a conclusion

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

2 recommendations

BellBoy to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

Glad you're happy...but why the need to bring Microsoft into the equation (and bash them). Can't we have a "Microsoft-less" thread?

First off...he wasn't bashing them if you read the post.

Second, as a long time Windblows user (now THAT was a bash) the joy of learning how everything "just worked" when I got my first Mac--I couldn't be contained.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

1 recommendation

dellsweig

MVM

said by BellBoy:

said by haroldo:

First off...he wasn't bashing them if you read the post.

Second, as a long time Windblows user (now THAT was a bash) the joy of learning how everything "just worked" when I got my first Mac--I couldn't be contained.

Thanks and well said - I AM having a hard time containing myself - I am a 57 year old IT professional that just found soimething new and better than anything I have used before.....

That IS a bash

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

1 edit

haroldo

Thanks for the clarification!
I withdraw my concern.
quote:
"the joy of learning how everything "just worked" when I got my first Mac--I couldn't be contained. "
...me too
(although going form a circa 2000 machine to a 2009 Mac isn't necessarily fair...)

smunro622
Premium Member
join:2006-02-15
united state

smunro622 to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
dellsweig,

i am happy for you, I have a 2010 27" imac i use every day and a 15" MBP i use for the office with a apple led display. I am completely happy and glad i made the switch 5 yrs ago. The only issue i have is dealing with share point sites with my mac, mostly in the accounting software it simply not supported. on a side note MS needs to bring visio to mac, i really do miss that.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

I found a visio viewer for MAC - for my home machine that would be sufficient, but for work I would need a full function visio as well'

»mac1.software.informer.c ··· -viewer/

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
Congrats!

Bryon
This space for rent
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Speedway, IN

Bryon to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
said by dellsweig:

I found a visio viewer for MAC - for my home machine that would be sufficient, but for work I would need a full function visio as well'...

Take a look at Omni Group's OmniGraffle »www.omnigroup.com/produc ··· graffle/

from their support site -
"Do you support import/export to Visio?
OmniGraffle 5 Professional now imports Visio’s proprietary binary file format (VSD) as well as importing and exporting Visio’s XML document format, VDX. This is a pro-only feature, so the Standard version of OmniGraffle does not support import or export of Visio documents."

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

1 recommendation

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by Bryon:

said by dellsweig:

I found a visio viewer for MAC - for my home machine that would be sufficient, but for work I would need a full function visio as well'...

Take a look at Omni Group's OmniGraffle »www.omnigroup.com/produc ··· graffle/

from their support site -
"Do you support import/export to Visio?
OmniGraffle 5 Professional now imports Visio’s proprietary binary file format (VSD) as well as importing and exporting Visio’s XML document format, VDX. This is a pro-only feature, so the Standard version of OmniGraffle does not support import or export of Visio documents."

How I love OmniGraffle .... one of the best tools I've ever used. Makes diagramming so, so, so easy. Much better than Visio, at least for my feeble brain.

smunro622
Premium Member
join:2006-02-15
united state

smunro622 to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
we have a terminal server to fix the issues with sharepoint for macs and it has visio on there, its a work around not a fix.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
said by dellsweig:

Got my new machine - Imac, I7, 16 gigs, 27 inch display......

I am speechless - and that takes some doing.

I LOVE the keyboard and magic trakpad

IMHO - Microsoft really missed the boat

Pfffbb...MS sank the boat with themselves on it. And then decided to pull all of their users down with them. And for some reason it's all accepted.

I can't help but wonder, if MS would actually manufacture their own hardware , their own laptops/desktops, how much better could their products be. Would they in fact just "work" like Apple does?

I can only DREAM of the joy you're experiencing right now.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
I just got a 21 inch imac to support all the management staff that uses macs. I now have 4 monitors on my desk, 1 imac, 1 23 inch apple display (that they didnt like thats now connected to my imac), 24 inch monitor for my pc and a 20 inch for testing computers/server.

Cant complain

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

In my office we are slowly converting to Mac. And I have to take the offices check book and buy them with my least favorite co-worker....

MacThrasher
Premium Member
join:2002-04-26
Chagrin Falls, OH

MacThrasher to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
I have brought many of the iPhone and iPad users to come over to the "dark side". "We've got candy!". I pay my mortgage on Windows problems. Mac users call when they want upgrade advice or installs. When I come home to do paperwork, its Quickbooks for Mac and MS Office for Mac. Still use the tools what work for me, including the wireless USB mouse and keyboard that have MS logos on them.

The only reason that people call me for "upgrades" is because they "don't want to break something". I assure them they can't. Just don't push a USB cord in an Ethernet port and it's all good.
Expand your moderator at work

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 edit

Metatron2008 to MacThrasher

Premium Member

to MacThrasher

Re: [OS X] Imac == AWSOME

So since this went microsofts route...

The monitor is an lg ips. Basically the same thing in a dell 2707, only the dell 2707 is matte and has horrible anti glare coating (If you could remove that, you'd have the same quality of monitor).

The internals are basically one of the lower end i7's you can buy, laptop gpu and laptop ram. Their have been tiny keyboards such as the one you use.

The trackpad is certainly something that manufacturers on the microsoft side can't figure out. And the OS was stolen from UNIX, and before OSX was stolen from Xerox (Much to the dismay of people who jump when Jobs says somebody stole something, such as android).

The total package is put together nicely.

On the desktop OS side, their isn't really 'a boat' that microsoft missed. Everything with the exception of the trackpad functions the same. On the laptop, cell phone, and tablet markets, their are quite a few boats that were missed...

P.S. Get rid of the magic mouse and buy a real mouse. The magic trackpad is amazing, the magic mouse sucks (unless you have ultra small hands/are a woman).
CTMustang
Premium Member
join:2007-09-10
New Canaan, CT

CTMustang to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
I never understand how people talk about mac hardware being so much better.

It's the same internals, covered in some thin metal and glass.

Razzy12345
@rr.com

Razzy12345 to dellsweig

Anon

to dellsweig
Huh what boat? They didn't miss anything. Not sure what you're talking about?

The only difference between MS and Apple is software. If you're talking about a trackpad - no thanks I won't use one for my PC. I like to rest my hand on the table along with the mouse instead of holding/moving my hand up/to the side hurting my wrist.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to CTMustang

to CTMustang
It's not the same hardware. Apple designs their own. Including some of the chips.

My son bought his, and our, first Mac a few months ago. The same one you got. When I asked him how he liked it so far, he said, "It's everything I wanted and more!", including the exclamation point.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by howardfine:

It's not the same hardware. Apple designs their own. Including some of the chips.

My son bought his, and our, first Mac a few months ago. The same one you got. When I asked him how he liked it so far, he said, "It's everything I wanted and more!", including the exclamation point.

Thanks - you are right on point...

To those that think the Imac is some kind of glorified Windoz box - you are sadly mistaken...

First - price out what an equivlent piece of hardware (no OS) wouldbe - i&, 16Gigs, Graphics adapter, 7200rpm drive(s), etc, etc.

You will find your hardware prices very competitve with what the IMAC costs...

Now if you stick WindowZ on the box - you just have a fast windows box - nothing more - you still have a box that has a very primitive scheduler, terrible memory management, a GUI that runs at Ring0 (Kernel level), no internal security, etc, etc.

I dont want to take this thread in this direction but you are comparing Apples and Squash.......

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
"magic" trackpad...LOL
Cheese

Cheese to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

It's not the same hardware. Apple designs their own.

Not really, it's pretty much the same as everyone else uses.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

He means apples versions of arm chips...
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to BellBoy

Premium Member

to BellBoy
said by BellBoy See Profile
[/BQUOTE :

First off, congrats on your new machine, dellsweig.

@BellBoy - You apparently haven't tried to use screen sharing or smb sharing on 10.7.x recently.

They don't, sadly, "just work" anymore.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

said by BellBoy See Profile
[/BQUOTE :

First off, congrats on your new machine, dellsweig.

@BellBoy - You apparently haven't tried to use screen sharing or smb sharing on 10.7.x recently.

They don't, sadly, "just work" anymore.

You couldn't be more correct...I'm still on Snow Leopard.

Still not trusting the 10.7.x experience yet.