uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

[NFL] Terrell Owens could face jail over child support

Another athlete that is going broke and blew thru 10's of millions of dollars made during his career. Haven't these guys ever heard of saving and investing when they were working?

»www.philly.com/philly/news/20120 ··· ail.html

The continuing money woes of ex-Eagle Terrell Owens threaten to land him in jail, if he doesn't pay child support owed to an Atlanta mother.

Owens, 38, who helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl in 2005, recently told GQ Magazine he had basically blown the $80 million he'd made in his NFL career.

...now plays indoor football for the Dallas-area Allen Wranglers. The $500,000 he reportedly could make won't come close to covering some major obligations - $750,000 in yearly mortgage payments for properties he can't sell, and $525,000 a year in child-support for four preteen children.

--
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
»www.politico.com/2012-election/

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
Good. Send the deadbeat to jail.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
reply to FFH5
He will have no pity from me.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
I wish I coulld have just one million of that 80m he made.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

...Haven't these guys ever heard of saving and investing when they were working?

I don't get it either. If I played a game like pro football, where my career could end any time I step foot on the field, I'd try saving as much money as possible. Guys like Carson Palmer seem to have the right idea. Last year when he wanted out of Cincinnati, he reportedly said he had $80 Million in the bank, and didn't need to play to live his life.

Sucks to be T.O.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
reply to FFH5
This is just beyond me... if i had only 10 mil..i'll just buy so many different investments that my grand children don't even have to worry about anything!!
--

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Rook008
said by Rook008:

said by FFH5:

...Haven't these guys ever heard of saving and investing when they were working?

Guys like Carson Palmer seem to have the right idea. Last year when he wanted out of Cincinnati, he reportedly said he had $80 Million in the bank, and didn't need to play to live his life.

Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan were smart....as well as many others.

Mike Tyson is the biggest idiot of all. He made just over 300 million in his career and doesn't have a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out of.
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Retired6:

Mike Tyson is the biggest idiot of all. He made just over 300 million in his career and doesn't have a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out of.

To be fair, he was never the sharpest tool in the shed, and I'm sure he allowed himself to be diddled out of most of that money.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

Spork35

join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA
reply to FFH5
$525,000 in child support for 4 kids or $131,250 a year per kid is ridiculous. I'd go back to court if I were him and get it reduced.
--
"Every once in a while, declare peace....it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Another athlete that is going broke and blew thru 10's of millions of dollars made during his career. Haven't these guys ever heard of saving and investing when they were working?

»www.philly.com/philly/news/20120 ··· ail.html

The continuing money woes of ex-Eagle Terrell Owens threaten to land him in jail, if he doesn't pay child support owed to an Atlanta mother.

Owens, 38, who helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl in 2005, recently told GQ Magazine he had basically blown the $80 million he'd made in his NFL career.

...now plays indoor football for the Dallas-area Allen Wranglers. The $500,000 he reportedly could make won't come close to covering some major obligations - $750,000 in yearly mortgage payments for properties he can't sell, and $525,000 a year in child-support for four preteen children.

While I have no sympathy for him pissing his money away, 525K for 4 kids? What kind of expenses does a kid have that costs more then 125K/yr?

At the same time, the support payments need to reassesed, they were based on his earnings at the time, and now that he makes SFA, the payments should be adjusted.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to Spork35
said by Spork35:

$525,000 in child support for 4 kids or $131,250 a year per kid is ridiculous. I'd go back to court if I were him and get it reduced.

That's what I was thinking. Isn't that an egregious amount of child support? Has each kid been putting away their millions that they didn't earn to ensure their futures are set?

Spork35

join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA
reply to FFH5
Most people/families don't make the $131,250 a year that these kids are getting. While I know dad was 'rich' that shouldn't mean the kids get that much support. I could see 2-3 times normal support so maybe like $25,000-40,000 a year at most.
--
"Every once in a while, declare peace....it confuses the hell out of your enemies."