Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

[WotLK] What a great fight....

This is a rather indulgent thread; however, I must say that after trying to heard 25 cats (given the turnover more like 35 cats) for a Lich King 25M Heroic kill. We never got the kill... partly because people on my server (plus the other 2 servers we were pulling from) don't want to play disc priest... and when they do they aren't willing to bubble-spam infest... but mostly because people have no idea just how great an encounter Blizzard created there.

You can't out-gear shadowtraps... you cant out-gear defile... you can't out-gear necrotic plague... and even with Scaith calling out everything (very well, I might add) going on in DBM... you can't lead an entire raid to victory... basically each person has to become a pro at the mechanics as they relate to their individual role/class...

I have so much fun making attempts on this fight. What I don't like, is going through all the trouble of getting a PuG into the raid, ported in, explain the fight... and then watch them /rageuit because they wiped twice and thought we were handing out free "Light of Dawn" titles... /sigh.

This is the first time I can say I am glad that Cata only brought with it 5lvls. This fight is still epic...

navymaverick
join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE

navymaverick

If I had the opportunity to run this with you I would. I tried to pull one together just shy of a year ago and yes, I got ragequitters once we wiped a few times on Arthas. I still want the opportunity to finish what I started a year and a half ago.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
It wasn't too bad, though I may have wanted to /wrists a few times.

I think if we get another r.druid and a d.priest (who will bubble bot)... we could easily do this. We'd have had our closest chance, by far on our second to last attempt if that mage hadn't time warped on pull... the ridiculous DPS on P2 almost already had negated the valk mechanic.

The0_o
join:2011-06-15
Silver Spring, MD

The0_o to Immer

to Immer
100% argee, Its on my top 5 encounters.

But its so painful to get too, i dont even bother anymore. About 2 months ago, i spent an hour getting a full 25 man group and another 2 hours to clear all the encounters on heroic (with 2 wipes on Professor, 1 on blood Queen and Sing).

We buff
We Pull
We wipe cause derpina stepped on a shadow trap, taking half the raid with her.

10 people ragequit
another 2 leave stating "Meh, am saved to it now, i'll just get my guild".
2 more ninja log/DC.
I rage......

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9 to drew

Premium Member

to drew
Agreed. The fight is still challenging, I think it took us a wipe or 2 as well

Couple notes...

1) You don't need a disc priest for this fight(Cata). The HP inflation has made it so your HP doesn't drop below 90% as soon as the dot gets applies it should fall off . (Assuming you're topped off). Just top up people as necessary.

2) For Necrotic plague, just have people run out of the raid, dispell and don't worry about the debuff. Your DPS can just plow through the adds w/o the buff stacking.

3) Remember to use long stuns on the valks if you're having problems with those, they are subject to DR. (HoJ being #1 priority). Also don't forget about hunter trap, etc to slow them.

4) We bloodlusted in phase2, to get out of lol defile phase asap.

Amen to can't heal through stupid and wrath babies leaving after a wipe.

Sad state of mind most players are in now-a-days.
Arsinic
join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA

Arsinic to Immer

to Immer
Remember that no disc priest will be able to sustain bubble botting the entire fight, that strat pretty much died with Wrath, but efficient use of aoe healing spells can get you through infest. Having raided the crap out of that fight on my priest, I was well versed in PW:S spam, I also learned how to heal the fight as holy without a disc priest. The fight did get a smidgen harder with increased gear levels from a healing perspective. BEst bet may be to take an extra healer..

I also belive the fight was very well designed. The true frustrations were doing the fight at the time working on progression and after 12-13 minutes of fighting have someone let a spirit add hit them in the raid, or fail inside Frostmourne, even worse was losing the roll on invincible to peope that were trials, or were about to quit or shitty attendance qqqqq

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to The0_o

Premium Member

to The0_o
said by The0_o:

We buff
We Pull
We wipe cause derpina stepped on a shadow trap, taking half the raid with her.

10 people ragequit
another 2 leave stating "Meh, am saved to it now, i'll just get my guild".
2 more ninja log/DC.
I rage......

wait a sec... were you there last night??? lol

We clear this on friday nights because my DK is finally working on his Shadowmourne (will be the first guild legendary... well... unless we do a Sunwell run that wins my wife the bow...). I've been tanking... but for 25M LK Hero attempts, I'm debating switching to my priest or r.druid (Light of Dawn doesn't sound very DK-ish). It pains me to see Drew having to carry the healing team.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

said by Immer:

Drew having to carry the healing team.

Aside from Sanctisimo who was focusing on the tanks (since I couldn't), the rest of the healers were absolute garbage. I mean I was at like 2.5x (at minimum) their healing done by the end of an attempt

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to JB9

Premium Member

to JB9
said by JB9:

Couple notes...

2) For Necrotic plague, just have people run out of the raid, dispell and don't worry about the debuff. Your DPS can just plow through the adds w/o the buff stacking.

4) We bloodlusted in phase2, to get out of lol defile phase asap.

Thanks, JB. I think we'll add these to our strat. As for infest... it actually wiped us a couple of times. Mostly when we were 2 healing (drew and scaith on his h.pally) despite the fact we had 4 "healers" at the time.

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member

JB9

Premium Member

Np.

I do remember a spare infest going off once in a while, I think it depends on if you have a really crap resist then you need a heal to get topped up (and quick)

I think we 3 healed it, but one of them got blown off by a shadowtrap, so yeah, 2 healed... lol.

This was back with FL gear.

KEEP UP DREW

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

hehe... drew was cranking out 21-26K hps of raid heals... Sanctisimo kept the tanks topped and was adding 16-17hps elsewhere... the other 2 never broke 10k hps (and that's when the raid needed the hps... )

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw

Premium Member

In my current gear I can only keep up 15 to 16k hps for extended time... sure you still want my help on Friday? (I'll try to improve gear before then)

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

absolutely. 3 healers in that range should be plenty. I might still do this on my priest if we get a second tank... My RP moments are few and far between... but I'm really struggling with the idea of a DK using the "Light of Dawn" title. I'd rather he had "Bane of Lich King", lol.

edit: punctuation is difficult.

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to Immer

to Immer
I didn't do much but at least I was there! (And I didn't rage quit!)

It was fun to say the least. I don't get why people rage quit. If it is not a challenge then what is the point? It is always better to finally succeed at something that was difficult!

Where does facerolling make you better off?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

you were fine, goldy. What I find humorous, is that in the midst of all of the QQ over things being too easy on Normal mode... that we had so much turnover on "old content". priceless.

Once we've mastered this fight... I'd like to head back to Ulduar. What a cool raid concept/design.

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member

JB9

Premium Member

Anyone got any fragments already? Just remember, hardmodes give an extra % to drop one and Yogg is always a guaranteed drop

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

I don't think we have anyone in guild working towards the healing mace.

what would be great is to have our guildies be so good at H.LK fight that when we pug in extras from /trade, the first part of our strat will be "just die. jump off the platform and don't release... we'll take it from here".

navymaverick
join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE

navymaverick

said by Immer:

I don't think we have anyone in guild working towards the healing mace.

Are there openings available?
said by Immer:

what would be great is to have our guildies be so good at H.LK fight that when we pug in extras from /trade, the first part of our strat will be "just die. jump off the platform and don't release... we'll take it from here".

That would be awesome! Charge pugs 1000g for the achieve.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

we haven't started Ulduar stuff yet... so.. yes, there is room!

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

stonhinge to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Don't forget that you can now do any raid except for Dragon Soul with RealID friends as well. So you're no longer limited to your server.
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar to Immer

to Immer
Yes, if you are horde WTB some achieve/mount/legendary items runs.. pst

- Infusions on my DK
- Val'anyr pieces on my shaman
- FL embers on my Boomkin.

I went the other day in those full heroic 25 ICCs they had the shards reserved.. none dropped.. RNG?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to stonhinge

Premium Member

to stonhinge
said by stonhinge:

Don't forget that you can now do any raid except for Dragon Soul with RealID friends as well. So you're no longer limited to your server.

aye. Last night's attempt had people from Echo Isles, Stormrage and Nathrezim servers.

Incidentally, there are a couple of things to bear in mind when running cross-realm raids.

1) Have group Will Travel only works for everyone if the person using it is inside the raid instance. If you do it outside the instance, you will only summon those on your server.

2) The summoning stones don't work cross-server because they are not actually inside the instance.

3) Lock portals work well, again, from inside the instance.

after reading this you are all probably thinking, "of course that's how it works"... and I'm cool with that. Just know that it wasn't so obvious to everyone involved.

one final note... how are we (as a player community) still confused about 10M versus 25M lockouts????
said by djlar:

I went the other day in those full heroic 25 ICCs they had the shards reserved.. none dropped.. RNG?

...of the worst variety

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

NEGATIVE GHOST RIDER

If there's anyone getting a legendary mace, it's me.

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain to Immer

to Immer
I have a good Resto druid on alliance side if you still require. wouldn't mind a Real ID or if you get navymaverick in your raid and still require a resto/boomkin or prot/arms warrior, i'd be more than happy to assist in both HLK and Uld. just throwing it out there

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to drew

Premium Member

to drew
said by drew:

said by Immer:

NEGATIVE GHOST RIDER

If there's anyone getting a legendary mace, it's me.

Roger that! Naturally guildies who put up with Nathrezim Server on a regular basis take priority. =)
said by mettachain:

I have a good Resto druid on alliance side if you still require. wouldn't mind a Real ID or if you get navymaverick in your raid and still require a resto/boomkin or prot/arms warrior, i'd be more than happy to assist in both HLK and Uld. just throwing it out there

duly noted! Once I've added navy, you can just request to be added through his friends list.

Venom14
join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

Venom14 to Immer

to Immer
This wasn't just a fail on the part of 1/2 of the healing team... there were more than a few dps barely breaking the 15k mark as well... my hpally can auto attack for more than that. So interested dps'ers are more than welcome.

And if Drew got a cramp from carrying the heals, imagine my poor lower back for carrying the 10 derps... I will say I glossed over a few of the mechanics... but when necrotic plague jumps from ranged to ranged for 2 minutes, c'mon man.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

1 edit

stvnbrs to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
You looking to do Ulduar 10 or 25? I will bring the druid in for 10 (need 3 achieves for meta) then would like to bring my pally as I think that gear looks great for the class. Let me know.

@Scaith - some day I will be allowed to bear on my druid, though I didn't see the dps quite so bad. we were pushing about 450k dps. There is room for improvement, but on a fight like LK, I would rather see everyone getting mechanics right than pushing top dps. Defiles were the biggest problem.

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member

JB9 to drew

Premium Member

to drew
[Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings] ?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
Click for full size
For LK, it was a mixed bag. There was no reason for us to have to eat so many defiles... we should have been able to push through P2 faster. the necrotic plague mechanic was not managed well, either... If we have crazy dps, then we should be able to ignore NP like JB recommends. We could try swapping our tanks (dk on adds, pally on LK). I don't see the need to replace a tank at this juncture, which is really why I wanted your dps. This next week we will no full clear on normal to clean up a few achieves (portal jockey

For Ulduar (when we get to it), if we have open slots in the 10m run we'll bring you in (guild has grown, which is awesome). You definitely have a spot in 25m.

gains
@windstream.net

gains

Anon

I quit like 2 months ago. However, for like 20 weeks before that pugged HLK25 on our server only... we don't have good pugs by any means...

The key i found is that shadow traps people just have to say in 3 tight groups. move across the platform for every shadow trap... then when the transition happens... just have all your ranged stack up in a group and continue to dps the king.. while being healed...

makes you skip the valk/defile stage... do the same on the next transition that is almost immediate and it's game over... pretty easy