share rss forum feed

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

[Troubleshooting] 3G signal strength problem

Before I call CS about this, I want to run it through here and see if anyone else has run into it.

I have a Pantech Crux feature phone (got it in May of '11). Whenever I use one of the Internet features (mail, Social Beat, browser), the 3G signal strength instantly decreases. It could be showing 4 bars and it goes to 2, or 1 or even goes out completely and I'm on 1X. This is rather annoying, as it seems to cause whatever I was doing to retry or fail completely whenever the signal fluctuates. No amount of repositioning does anything. When I end the data session the signal instantly is back to whatever it was. Software is the current version (including the mail client update that dropped recently).

Yeah, it's a totally lame phone but I use it mostly for voice and only occasional data when I'm away from a computer. And, I'm stuck with it: My next eligible upgrade date isn't until January. So, any thoughts on whether I should bother taking this up with VZW, anything else to try, or just shaddap and cope?
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

cmslick3

join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL

Could be a couple of issues:

1. Cheap phone = Cheap receiver.
2. Data resources in your area are being eaten up by other users. As more users are on the data service the ammount of availbale power goes down.
3. You may be betweena bunch of cells and they can't decide who's your best server.

I'd call Big V and let them troubleshoot.

zychina

join:2012-03-06
reply to DC DSL

In fact for poor signal,you can use a mobile signal booster to solve this problem.With good quality mobile repeater,you can get strong signal.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

My question was whether others have experienced the signal strength dropping the instant you begin a data session and returning to what it was when you end it on their handsets, or if this is just something weird about the cheap-o one I have...and whether it's worth calling support about it.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Vince_C

join:2007-03-30
Columbia, LA

I use a Pantech UML290 USB modem, and my experience is the same.

I can connect and have 3-4 bars; however, once I utilize the service the signal meter drops to 2 bars.

I even have an external 11dbi omni antenna mounted on my roof...

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

Then it's likely something in Pantech's design. I suspected as much since they're low-end devices. Verizon's subtle way of saying "get a more expensive real one."
--