uniqs
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to openbox9

to openbox9

Re: Regulations

Well that's not a very bright response.

Please do tell.... how do you dispute inaccurate charges when they are not able to provide accurate data usage to even begin the dispute to be begin with? I guess in your wisdom, we the consumer should always assume the ISP is looking out for our best interest and take their word for it.

If they want to "meter", then they better be able to meter accurately and it better be able to be confirmed and certified by a third party through the use of strict guidelines with consistent and reproducible results.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Assume some responsibility, track your usage, then pick up your smartphone and make a voice call to customer service to discuss the error if it exists.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

Sure, just like I measure the volume of gas that I buy at a gas station and then have a weekly chat with the cashier about discrepancies.

How about this, what if we all self-report our usage to the ISP's, and if they disagree with us, they can call us and have a nice chat every month.

Accurate measurement is a must if metered usage is in effect. Period.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by vpoko:

Sure, just like I measure the volume of gas that I buy at a gas station and then have a weekly chat with the cashier about discrepancies.

If you believe the measurement of volume to be in error, then go for it.
said by vpoko:

How about this, what if we all self-report our usage to the ISP's, and if they disagree with us, they can call us and have a nice chat every month.

When you are the service provider, then you can stipulate the terms as you see fit..

vpoko
Premium Member
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

If I believed the measurement of volume was in error, and I could prove it, the gas station would be out of business (especially if it happened repeatedly).

Anyway, we must be talking past each other because there's no way that you could be advocating charging someone by volume of consumption without any way of accurately measuring that consumption. Why don't we just get rid of electric meters and let the electric company tell us what to pay.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Are you capable of metering your own use of electricity?

vpoko
Premium Member
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

I have a meter - owned by the electric company - on my premises, and that meter has been certified by the state department of weights and measures to be accurate.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

So the answer is no?

vpoko
Premium Member
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

The answer is that there's a piece of equipment subject to neutral-party certification (AKA regulation) that measures usage. I don't care who owns it. The same thing would be OK for ISP's, if there was a certified meter that they wanted to place on premises. We both know that's not how they want it.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

There are several relatively standard tools to measure data transfers....many of them free. Use one to provide you the assurance that you aren't being over billed.