Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA
reply to openbox9

Re: Regulations

If I believed the measurement of volume was in error, and I could prove it, the gas station would be out of business (especially if it happened repeatedly).

Anyway, we must be talking past each other because there's no way that you could be advocating charging someone by volume of consumption without any way of accurately measuring that consumption. Why don't we just get rid of electric meters and let the electric company tell us what to pay.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

Are you capable of metering your own use of electricity?

vpoko
Premium
Boston, MA

I have a meter - owned by the electric company - on my premises, and that meter has been certified by the state department of weights and measures to be accurate.

openbox9
Premium
Germany

So the answer is no?

vpoko
Premium
Boston, MA

The answer is that there's a piece of equipment subject to neutral-party certification (AKA regulation) that measures usage. I don't care who owns it. The same thing would be OK for ISP's, if there was a certified meter that they wanted to place on premises. We both know that's not how they want it.

openbox9
Premium
Germany

There are several relatively standard tools to measure data transfers....many of them free. Use one to provide you the assurance that you aren't being over billed.