how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BobFr

join:2012-03-05
united state

[Cable HSI] Unable to connect via router to Mediacom Internet se

I have the situation where a home router and my desktop PC cannot acquire an IP address when connected directly to the cable modem. Curiously a netbook can acquire an address.

I apologize for the long-winded story below, but I wanted to get all the details in.

My 20 Mbps internet connection in Fairhope, AL, went out last Monday (2-27) about 10:30 AM Central and has been out basically ever since. My network consists of a Cisco/Linksys E3000 router (firmware 1.0.04) connected at the time to Scientific Atlanta modem. A Dell desktop (WinXP) was connected by Ethernet cable to the router, as were several TV's/satt. receivers/blu-ray players/printers. Wireless 802.11 was also enabled. This system had been working fine for years. I was told that this modem should not have been able to provide the 20 Mbps sustained/30Mbps bursts, but by actual measurement it did. I called after about 2 hours and was told there was a high-level DHCP server outage that was affecting several states.

After I called again a couple days later, I was told to replace my modem with an RCA. This rep also told me that they were having to instruct many users to take their routers out of the loop and connect directly to a PC. I went to the local Mediacom facility and got what proved to be a defective RCA modem (power plug was intermittently defective).

The third call resulted in a service tech coming the following day, Friday. He installed an RCA DHG534 modem. He also was unable to get the router connection working, but we did get a Toshiba netbook (WinXP) connected directly. However, a Dell desktop (also WinXP) wouldn't connect directly. While both systems had Norton Internet Security firewall running, the settings were the same for both PCs, so I don't think the firewall setting were an issue.

At a MAC level, both the router and Dell desktop seem to see the cable modem. However, neither is able to acquire a network IP address. Finally this process times out.

I'm still in the situation of only being able to get a netbook to connect to the Internet through the Mediacom modem. Fortunately we have a Verizon Wireless Mifi, but it is very limited in both speed and data cap. While AT&T U-Verse is in other parts of our neighborhood, there's no timetable when it will reach our home. The available DSL is capped at 1.5 Mbps down.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem and solution could be? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117

Re: [Cable HSI] Unable to connect via router to Mediacom Interne

If one device can connect, there shouldn't be any reason for other devices to have connection issues as long as the connection is reset before going between devices. Have you power cycled the modem (or factory reset it using the button on the back) between devices? If you want to send me your telephone# or MAC address I can take a closer look for you.

BobFr

join:2012-03-05
united state
reply to BobFr
Chad,
As I was getting my MAC addresses for you this morning, I noticed that my Dell desktop had the same MAC address as the router Internet interface. The router had been set to clone the PC's MAC address. I still could not connect with the PC's address cloned this morning. I then turned off the "Clone PC MAC address" on the router and everything suddenly worked! Curiously I had been cloning the PC address before the outage last week and everything had been working for months at least.

I want to thank you for your offer to look into this, and I certainly wouldn't have thought to look a the MAC addresses if you hadn't requested them. I wonder if there was some sort of DHCP server upgrade on Mediacom's part that suddenly disallowed MAC cloning or something. Anyway, this may solve the situation for others who suddenly couldn't connect through their routers but could through a directly-connected PC.

Again, many thanks for your quick offer to help on this.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117
Glad I could help!