share rss forum feed

Maniak

join:2008-03-29
Vail, AZ
Reviews:
·Wi-Power
·RuralNet

Finally rack mounted everything.

I finally got all the equipment off the floor and bread racks and put them on a rack.

6200 VA of UPS are in use. The 750va up (black on on its side) is not being used.

I'm running an ESXI server with 3 VM's. Two Windows boxes (specific functions) and the Mint box running as the ssh etc server.

3com 3300 managed switch setup in 3 vlans.

two 1 TB iomega network attached Media drivers. I use them for backups.

Router is a Assent Wireless MBR100. Router with 3g backup connected to Sprint via Millenicom for backup internet. I work from home so I have the backup connection as I never want to have to tell my boss that I can't work today because I have no internet.

Proxim WAP for wifi.

I still have some more clean up etc, but at least its up on the rack.

~Mark

edit: I forgot to mention, one 2kva UPS is for my person machine/monitors, the 2nd 2kva is for the work machine/monitors and the 2200 va rack mount is for the esxi and network equipment.
The last time I tested the run time I got about 3 hours on battery.

jwblake

join:2010-06-23
Fairfax, VA
Wow, I wish I had that kind of battery runtime! How spotty is your electrical service?

Maniak

Vail, AZ
Reviews:
·Wi-Power
·RuralNet
reply to Maniak
We don't lose power for days on end but during the monsoon season (July - September) we get high winds and rain which will cause the power to flicker and sometimes outright drop. "Normally" when we lose power its only for 2-3 hours although we have had 18 hour periods without power.

I'm expecting the power to have issues today as they are forecasting 30mph sustained winds with 50mph gusts in town. We aren't in town and the power lines between town and here are susceptible to the higher winds.

To get that kind of run time we have the load @ 15%. The 2200 VA rack mount UPS is the one with the least load as it has the least amount of battery.

~Mark

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
with that kind of power loss expectation I'd look into a generator

Maniak

Vail, AZ
Reviews:
·Wi-Power
·RuralNet
Its on the list of things to do. Long power outtages haven't been an issue over the years. I can remember only a couple times when the power was out for long enough for the house to get hot/cold.

We are thinking of just getting a smaller generator (6500 watt) since we can afford that. It won't run everything (or even the heat pump) but it will give us enough power to run fans, fridge/freezer, water pump etc. At least enough to make the wait for power more tolerable.

~Mark