dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
This is a sub-selection from Spring is 2 weeks away so?

MTBikerChris
Premium Member
join:2001-08-28
Erie, CO

MTBikerChris to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings

Re: Spring is 2 weeks away so?

said by No_Strings:

Went mountain biking this morning.

It's been 10-15 degrees above average for a few, so we went to the beach yesterday. Even at the coast, it was very warm.

We're coming up on wildflower season here. Some early mustard and yucca are already out. Not enough rain this season to make it a banner year, but enough that I'll be trekking around the local mountains with camera in tow.

From yesterday:

Wow The beach that Looks Awesome Enjoy it !!!! do you bike to the beach ?

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

I have biked to the beach, but it's a long ride with some scary roads and all uphill coming home. (I road bike as well, even though I far prefer mountain biking.)

The beach pictured is Crystal Cove and while it's not the most beautiful stretch of sand in SoCal, it's at the base of some steep cliffs. The toilets and changing areas are up on top, as is parking. No picnic tables, no fires. Keeps the crowds down and helps deter those who shouldn't be in bathing suits.

A few miles up or down the coast, you can find broader and better groomed beaches with easy, cheaper parking and all the fast food you could want. Guess what those look like on a warm Saturday?

I guess mountain vs. road and developed vs rustic beaches are two sides of the same coin. At heart, I'm still a country boy and prefer to see deer, woodpeckers and hawks to beached whales.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon

I actually prefer hiking the forest; where you've gotta duck branches and step on rocks to cross small streams. Flat trails with no shade or things to sit on like an old dead tree or a big rock just aren't that much fun.

When it comes to cycling, sure; gimmie a dirt road and a slight incline with some twists and turns. Otherwise might as well just ride circles around the block.

This was my last real hike - in Azusa Canyon

»/showp ··· 5328&1=1

- FM

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

Where I usually ride is a mix of singletrack through oak canopy and fire road. Lots of hills, up and down, and some technical stuff. Baby stuff compared to the big woods in the Northwest or the Rockies, but fun enough to keep me going back.
This is a sub-selection from Spring is 2 weeks away so?