uniqs
share rss forum feed

SlowFreddy

join:2009-07-10
Reviews:
·magicjack.com

2 edits

[XPHome] Temp Files Won't Delete Automatic

Set IE8 (not 9) to delete Temp files when Browser is Closed, but they are still there? Can go into Setting and-View Files and their still there and I have to Delete manually. History and the other Files delete on close. What am I doing Wrong. thanks for your help.

I Know Iam A Dummy,.. Thats Why Iam Asking You The Hard Stuff....

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3
I've always wondered this about IE...there is actually 2 places you have to tell IE to clear your "Temporary Internet Files". Let me show you.

The screen shots I am showing you are from IE9, but I know they are the same ones in IE8.

When you click on the tools menu, and then click on Internet Options, and then go to the General Tab, you will see what is shown in Picture #1.

You probably already have the box "Delete browsing history on exit" checked. If you click the button "Delete", you will see the options that you have in Picture #2.

Now, you would think that is all you need to set?

WRONG!

If you then go to the "Advanced" Tab, and scroll down to the Security Group, you will see the option that I have the red arrow on, which is "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed"

Now, I would *THINK* that if you had the box on the general tab set, and if on the options you had the option "Temporary Internet files" also checked, it would remove them.

Yet, that box (by default, btw) is left unchecked.

Try checking that box, and see if you get the result you want.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

SlowFreddy

Reviews:
·magicjack.com

Thanks for the responce.
All those boxes you mention are checked like you have indicated, and the Files still aren't Deleted until I manually delete them. The one that says 'preserve favorite website data', is checked also. Didn't think about that one until I saw your pic of the settings in the Second picture. I'll uncheck it and see if that has anything to do with the Problem. I'll post the Results later. thanks.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
reply to SlowFreddy

No matter what box you check MS has chosen not to delete all files on exit. That is IE. It has been like that for years.

I don't use IE anymore and for some odd reason it still creates temp files even if I delete all of them manually and never open IE. I go back and look at where I have set IE to store temp files and there they are.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to SlowFreddy

I do agree with you Shootist, that it has not always worked the way it should.

What is also interesting is the choice of "button names" in IE. If you look at my first picture, there is the check box that says "Delete browsing history on exit". Then you have two buttons. One called "Delete..." and the other "Settings". However, BOTH buttons are really settings, if you think about it. On the "Settings" button, you get to set the options like "How often to check for new versions of web pages", "Disk Space to use", and "Where the files / objects are stored".

Now, I would also think that WHAT gets deleted on exit of the browser would also be options that you would like to set on this screen. And if you click the "delete" button, it would do the delete of the objects that match the options I show on Screen #2, from the folder that is specified under the "settings" button.

However, when you click the "Delete" button, that is where the delete options are at (what you want to delete), and then at the bottom is the button to do the actual delete.

And, that screen is funny to! You have 2 buttons..Delete and Cancel. What if you just wanted to modify your settings, AND not delete right now? You don't have that option. If you change an option, and then hit cancel, your modifications don't stick. Yet, if you hit delete, then your options do save, but you have also "deleted" your temporary internet files, which may not be what you want to do. This goes back to what I was saying about having ALL of the options for this under one button, the SETTINGS button!

And, then to make things even more messed up, there is that one option on the Advanced tab that I have shown in Picture #3. WHY have that as an option, if you have already set things on the general tab? At least to me, it is very clear what IE should be doing by looking at the general tab (outside of the fact that all the options are not under the SETTINGS tab! LOL) One would think that if you set the options on the general tab, you would not need to check ANOTHER option on the Advanced tab to get the effect you want. That just seems dumb!

As I said, I do know that IE does not always delete the history all the time, and it does leave some files behind. While that is a problem, and should be fixed, I also think the layout of the options in IE is not really setup the way it should be either.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

SlowFreddy

Reviews:
·magicjack.com
reply to SlowFreddy

You Guys are correct. Unchecked the 'preserve favorite website data' and still have one cookie left, Guess What , it's DSLreports cookie and thats ok with me. When the Browser is closed now, only the DSLreports cookies is left and all the other files are Gone. in Privacy settings thers a (.COM ) that followes me around, looks like this. *.crossrider.com Try to remove it and it comes back in IE but doesn't cause any problems as yet. Should I leave it are REGEDIT it?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to SlowFreddy

I have that box checked (And have for awhile) but when i close the browser,some stuff isnt removed UNLESS I DO IT MANUALLY!! (Cookies,etc) I guess they arent considered "Temp files"

The contents of the TEMPORARY INTERNET FOLDER usually gets deleted when i close MyIE2

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Shootist

Re: [XPHome] Temp Files Won't Delete Automatic

Click for full size
Picture #1
Click for full size
Picture #2
said by Shootist:

I don't use IE anymore and for some odd reason it still creates temp files even if I delete all of them manually and never open IE. I go back and look at where I have set IE to store temp files and there they are.

I tested this, and you are correct.

First, I verified that I had no applications open, except for my Virus Scanner, and the default stuff that runs in the taskbar for Windows (Speaker, network connect, etc).

I then went to my temporary internet files location, and made sure it was empty. I even unchecked the box "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" just to make sure it was totally empty.

Once doing that, I had what is shown in Picture #1

I then went about using my computer. I opened the following applications:

Thunderbird
Waterfox
Winamp

That was 45 minutes ago. I went back to my temporary internet files location, and did a refresh (F5), and POOF! I now have what is shown in Picture #2.

I never opened IE, never went to the "Internet Settings" in the control panel, nothing.

While I do agree that most (if not all) of the programs I did open do access the internet, it appears that they use the same folder that IE does to store "Temporary Internet" files. I don't think its waterfox, as it has its own place to store this stuff. I guess I could go back and run one program at a time to figure out exactly which one(s) are doing this.

Maybe that is what is going on, and why we feel that IE does not clear all the files, as it was not IE that put them there? Try to follow my logic here...

Open Program "X". It is one that does access the internet, and dumps files into the "temporary internet files" location. Then, IE is opened, and you browse the web with it for 15 minutes. Your IE settings are set to "delete all files" when the browser is closed. Once IE is closed, it then removes the files that it created. However, program "X" is still open. If IE deleted "Everything" from the "Temporary Internet files" folder, program "X" may crash, generate an error, or have some other kind of unexpected result. IE may also throw an error, if it tried to delete a file that was open by program "X".

On the other side of the coin, you would think that program "X" (from my above example) would store its files somewhere else, instead of the "Temporary internet files" location.

However, maybe it is a good thing to have every application that runs store its "temp internet files" in the same location as IE?

While I don't know the logic behind why a program like Skype (for example) would store stuff in this location, it appears that is what is going on.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
reply to SlowFreddy

Well the bottom line is Win OS is tied to IE. Is it basically one in the same. You can open a win Explorer windows and do a internet search and the results will show in Win Explorer. You can open IE and type in one of your hard drive letters and see the contents in IE.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

SlowFreddy

10/4..thanks. now I gota fugure out the *.crossrider.. but thats for another Topic. have a good day!

Expand your moderator at work