Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IIgs
Premium
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:1

[Grandfathered Plans] Does moving mean losing unlimited?

My mother has a grandfathered plan with Bell Internet. She's had it since 1998 and currently paying $70.90/month for a 7 Mbit unlimited connection (bundled along with Bell TV and Bell home phone).

She is selling her house mid summer.

First question, if you move and transfer your Bell services, do you lose your grandfathered Internet plan? Simple enough so far, but it gets a little tricky from here on, and this is where I hope you guys might have some answers...

OK -- right now she's living in a rented apartment in a different part of the city and already has a separate Bell account with Bell phone and Bell Internet there. So I'm thinking Bell may see this more as a "transfer" than a "move". However in May she actually IS moving to a different apartment in the same building. So I have to call about transferring or moving services at that point.

Basically I'm trying to figure out whether Bell will transfer the account from her house to the apartment, and if yes, how do I go about this? I'm trying to sort this all out for her but it involves juggling two accounts and three different residences. I've had nothing but nightmares dealing with Bell customer service so I'd like to know as much about the policy on grandfathered accounts before calling in.

Before going any further though my biggest question though is, does moving automatically kill your grandfathered unlimited Internet plan?

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
I would say yes, but only way you will truly find out is if you call em.

Your grandmother needs unlimited?

70/mth for that is downright robbery. I feel sorry for all the poor little old ladies on old bell accounts.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to IIgs
Why would you keep paying $70 for unlimited from Bell, when you can get it for much, much less from third party ISP?

Unless your mom is tied to the email like many people...
--
GO LEAFS GO!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to IIgs
Past postings in this forum suggests it does, however if she wishes to keep it (though honestly she likely would benefit from a different plan, or provider) I highly recommend she asks about it in the Bell direct forum.

jpendio

join:2011-11-05
reply to IIgs
it would really depend on the area that you'll be moving into... if High speed service is still available on the new address. you will be able to keep the same High Speed Unlimited. : ) hope this answers your question.

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Why would you keep paying $70 for unlimited from Bell, when you can get it for much, much less from third party ISP?

Exactly why I'm thinking of just outright canceling it. It's really throwing out money since she's not even living at the house any longer, and only uses it for e-mail (probably uses 0.5 GB/month!).

It just hasn't been used since my dad passed away almost 3 years ago. She's just been preserving it "just in case" (though since UBB morphed into something else, I'm assuming 3rd party ISP's will be able to offer unlimited or 300 GB for the foreseeable future).

Unless your mom is tied to the email like many pepple...

THAT, unfortunately, is the only major issue at stake. As a matter of fact my xxxx@sympatico.ca e-mail account is still linked to her account. I guess I can either ask to transfer over the e-mail accounts to her other Bell Internet account (can they do that?) or just finally retire it and move to gmail. I've had that e-mail address since 2001 but guess I should retire it.

Chuck sTruck

@teksavvy.com
reply to HiVolt
Simple after she sells her house the price of houses will fall in half or less meaning she can buy two houses in the future. With deflation her lump sum from selling the house will be a huge windfall in the future as well.

Chuck sTruck

@teksavvy.com
reply to jpendio
Since when... since never.

adisor91

@teksavvy.com
reply to IIgs
You could read the Teksavvy forum and read something about paying less to activate dsl this month. I can 100 percent guarantee you she will lose her unlimited dsl if she moves.

Chuck sTruck

@teksavvy.com
She'll be out of luck thanks to sympatico's or Bell's 30 day cancellation policy. I doubt it's legal but you could try to get a reimbursement from Bell if you switch. They also say if you switch dsl to third party dsl they wave the 30 day notice.

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
How does Bell's 30 day cancellation policy jeopardizes her grandfathered plan?

Well, regardless, I've thought it over and decided I'm going to just cancel the account--she'll give up her unlimited plan. As it turns out my brother also has a grandfathered Bell Internet plan (at his own home) and is dropping his too this week. There's really no sense hanging onto these plans when it costs about $82/month with taxes! (and undoubtedly will continue to rise!). Gotta love BHell, huh.

Only question now is can I transfer the e-mail accounts?

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to IIgs
Update...

Finally cut the cord. Downgraded to the Essential Plus plan for $25.95. Still a crappy deal since it's only 2 Mbit with about a 50 GB cap but better than before ($70.90 + $4.95 modem rental....about $88/month with taxes!! Ludicrous for a 7 / 0.8 Mbit connection).

And once the sell of the house is complete, I'll just cancel all the Bell services, which have been active since the early 70's!

Once my mom is settled with her move, I'll likely more her to Teksavvy for phone and Internet.

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
reply to IIgs
Here is an old link:

»[Internet] Is Bell offering HALLOWEEN prices

Good luck,

Rick

pixx
Premium
join:2007-11-06
Beaconsfield, QC
reply to IIgs
I still ahve a granfathered unlimited plan for like 50$ and I have moved 4 times - never had a problem. They may have tried but I always refuse. It is possible, my last move was 7 months ago.

Good luck.

Phil.

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to IIgs
Okay. This is strange...

Although Bell has downgraded my mother from 'High Speed' to 'Essentials Plus' on the weekend (I do see: "Bell Internet Essentiel Plus"), when I log into her account and check usage, it still says:

Usage included in plan: Unlimited

The agents I originally spoke with said she would get 45 GB/month including in the downgraded plan. Is this something that will get updated with her next billing cycle, or did she not lose her grandfathered unlimited usage after all?

gnumantsc

join:2003-07-23
reply to IIgs
said by IIgs:

Update...

Finally cut the cord. Downgraded to the Essential Plus plan for $25.95. Still a crappy deal since it's only 2 Mbit with about a 50 GB cap but better than before ($70.90 + $4.95 modem rental....about $88/month with taxes!! Ludicrous for a 7 / 0.8 Mbit connection).

And once the sell of the house is complete, I'll just cancel all the Bell services, which have been active since the early 70's!

Once my mom is settled with her move, I'll likely more her to Teksavvy for phone and Internet.

What a rip off. Why not go with Electronic Box for your DSL? Their servers are in Montreal and I've been with them for 6 years with 0 issues.

Here is their link: »www.electronicbox.net/en/montrea···net.html

If you sign up please mention LM39.
--
Gnuman.com - Linux in the home

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to IIgs
It's actually $20.95 with the bundle discount, but yeah, it's a rip off considering the cap and speed.

For the moment it's fine since she doesn't download and only uses it for e-mail. Also if I cut it, I lose 5 different e-mail accounts (I'm researching if Bell will transfer those to her other Bell Internet account). Though trust me, I know about Teksavvy, ElectronicBox and the rest, and as soon as she's settled, that's who I'll be switching her over to.

In the meantime, I'm really curious if they've screwed up and left it unlimited.

Poser

join:2002-07-28
reply to IIgs
Folks, she's getting internet, tv and phone service for $70/month!

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
said by Poser:

Folks, she's getting internet, tv and phone service for $70/month!

said by IIgs:

. . . since 1998 and currently paying $70.90/month for a 7 Mbit unlimited connection (bundled along with Bell TV and Bell home phone).

The OP says his mother is paying $70.90 for Internet plus $xx.xx for phone and $xx.xx for Bell (Satelite) TV. The OPs mother will receive a $5.00 bundle discount for each of the Internet and Bell TV.

Internet net cost $65.90.

On what planet do you live on that might have a super duper compression scheme (not available on earth) that allows TV over 7Mbit Internet AND for a super low price of $70.90.

Your a billionaire and don't know it. Sell your compression scheme and retire.

Rick.