Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Why Are All Showerheads Made For Short People?

Are you kidding me? I'm only 5'11 and yet there has not been any showerhead in a bathroom that is high enough that water can fall on my head, I always have to duck/squat down, why?

Are we suppose to shower only from the neck down?

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

Well. Yeah. When you're washing the shampoo out of your hair, you don't want it running down your body so you bend over. Thus, the lower showerhead.

At least that's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

No pun intended.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Its the riser pipe behind the wall. Whoever installed/built it made it that height. It can be moved if you want to tear up the wall.
--
I Live In My Own World, But It's OK.....They Know Me There.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Xstar_Lumini

I don't know if this is the case, but I know in electrical there is a code, a standard, the NEC. Maybe there is a code for plumbing on how high the pipe can go.

I think there might be a shower head or adapter that you can get to fix the problem.

CulDeSac

join:2007-12-01
Chandler, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to Xstar_Lumini

»www.amazon.com/Shower-Arm-S-Styl···8&sr=8-1

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Short people install them!

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
reply to Xstar_Lumini

you want something like this »www.waterpik.com/shower-head/pro···/ASD-833

i have these in all my showers except the master bath which has a custom full ceiling rain fall. best fucking shower ever.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Xstar_Lumini

There is not set height for it to be - in hotel rooms it is because of the height of the shower area and in home - that is how the people wanted it. In retirement communities it might be lower because older folks are usually shorter so the shower head has to be lower in order for them to reach the shower head.

quote:
Well. Yeah. When you're washing the shampoo out of your hair, you don't want it running down your body so you bend over. Thus, the lower showerhead.
Why not have to run down the body? It is the first thing to wash and the last thing I want it soap running into my face with my eyes.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

if the shower head is higher then you can just tilt your head back to avoid getting soap in your eyes

on a related note, is it normall that when its switched to shower that theres still water running through the faucet? (even though the part on the faucet is pulled up to restrict water flow?) because I think I'd get more water pressure to the shower hear if it completely blocked the water flow to the faucet instead of just partialy

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Xstar_Lumini

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Are you kidding me? I'm only 5'11 and yet there has not been any showerhead in a bathroom that is high enough that water can fall on my head, I always have to duck/squat down, why?

finally something we agree with
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
google this "(sqrt(cos(x))*cos(200*x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.7)*(4-x*x)^0.01, sqrt(9-x^2), -sqrt(9-x^2)"

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to DarkLogix

quote:
if the shower head is higher then you can just tilt your head back to avoid getting soap in your eyes
That is what I do I still don't get the "you don't want it running down your body so you bend over. Thus, the lower showerhead."
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Xstar_Lumini

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Must be a Canadian thing.

Honestly the only times I can remember not having a shower taller than me is the times I have been in europe. I remember a lot of those were shorter. And that was mostly in old hotels. Of course many of those also had the showerheads that you can pick-up and move like a hose.
FYi i'm 5'10.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by Voxxjin:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Honestly the only times I can remember not having a shower taller than me is the times I have been in europe. I remember a lot of those were shorter. And that was mostly in old hotels. Of course many of those also had the showerheads that you can pick-up and move like a hose.
FYi i'm 5'10.

you might have a point
thinking about it my shower head at home is higher than the top of my head, but when I've been to europe and canada things were smaller and lower, maybe its part of the make things so small they're useless culture.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Get a shower sprayer that attached to the shower head and slides up and down on a pole mounted to the wall.

That's what I have and I can set the height to whatever I want.

My wife likes it low and I like it high for the very reason you mentioned.

Home Depot under 30 bux.

Dave

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Voxxjin

said by Voxxjin:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

FYi i'm 5'10.

All the shower heads are taller than me, so I've never had a problem.

It's cool, I'm takin it back
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX
reply to Xstar_Lumini

I'm 6'4, unless I build a house or remodel my own bathroom, I'll always have to duck down to reach the shower head.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by 93388818:

I'm 6'4, unless I build a house or remodel my own bathroom, I'll always have to duck down to reach the shower head.

Apparently being short has some advantages. I found that I could sit upright in my kitchen cabinets when I was replacing a kitchen faucet.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by sk1939:

said by 93388818:

Apparently being short has some advantages. I found that I could sit upright in my kitchen cabinets when I was replacing a kitchen faucet.

lucky
when I was replacing the kitchen faucet some years ago it really hurt my back to lay there and reach up to work on it

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

is it normall that when its switched to shower that theres still water running through the faucet? (even though the part on the faucet is pulled up to restrict water flow?) because I think I'd get more water pressure to the shower hear if it completely blocked the water flow to the faucet instead of just partialy

The part where the pullup is probably partially blocked (mineral deposits) which prevents a good seal. Replacing the part will more than likely solve your problem (not an expensive or hard thing to do).
--
I Live In My Own World, But It's OK.....They Know Me There.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

the pullup os built into the faucet and you can hear it when it locks to the fully pulled position. I guess maybe its damaged somehow or just a bad design.

ArkhmAsylm
Evrythng I need isn't really what I want

join:2006-02-22
Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to CulDeSac

I'm 6'1" and have the same problem.

This is a good start, but the angle on the top is all wrong...it sprays in your face instead of down. :/ (have one, 5'2" wife hates it)

My neighbor is 6'4", so he re-did his bathroom and raised the riser about 6". Whoever buys the house from him had better be tall.
--
*Tap, Tap, Tap* Is this thing on?

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

There is not set height for it to be - in hotel rooms it is because of the height of the shower area and in home - that is how the people wanted it. In retirement communities it might be lower because older folks are usually shorter so the shower head has to be lower in order for them to reach the shower head.

quote:
Why not have to run down the body? It is the first thing to wash and the last thing I want it soap running into my face with my eyes.

Shampoo's pretty nasty to your skin, especially if you have any sort of skin condition.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

If it is that nasty then why use it at all? If a person has that much of an issue then they should not be using it. It is rinsed off less than 2 minutes after I rinse my hair.

I will also bet it is fairly rare and as such - there is little need to change the height as a standard to prevent it. There is no standard to have it at one height for all buildings.
--
Brian

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
Irving, TX

Well, I have to use something on my hair, and it sure ain't gonna be regular soap.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Used to use regular soap for years.... Lots of all natural stuff with oils and lemon peel....

Agent Smith

join:2008-07-07
New York
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Short girls shower too lol..

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Yeah after all the years at 6'1" I bend over without even thinking about it unless I am somewhere that has the shower head even lower then I curse it. It must be a real pain for those 6'3" and up.

You know what else, most residential toilets are too small. When I have my own place I am getting at least one large toilet installed, maybe not as big as they have in public/office washrooms but definitely a roomier unit than the wimpy ones they put in these days.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada

1 edit
reply to CulDeSac

Ahahaha!! Really?!

said by pnjunction:

You know what else, most residential toilets are too small. When I have my own place I am getting at least one large toilet installed, maybe not as big as they have in public/office washrooms but definitely a roomier unit than the wimpy ones they put in these days.

There's nothing that pisses me off more than a toilet that doesn't have enough power to flush down "matter", I find this problem more prevalent in homes than apartments, you have to re-flush it 3 times for it to gulp everything down. There's these industrial toilets (those with the black seats) in shopping mall bathrooms that are like turbines, they will flush down even your kitchen sink like in .005 of a second but alas they must waste like 4 gallons of water on each flush.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Xstar_Lumini

I've seen dual showerhead setups lately where you can switch between the wall mounted, angled showerhead and one mounted on the ceiling of the shower that allows water to come straight down.

Also, if your showerhead is too low in your home, there's other options, you can install the kind that have the removable showerhead with a stainless steel hose that you can use as you wish.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to DarkLogix

Likely the seal itself is worn, or probably does have some mineral deposits built up on joint so the seal won't seat fully.