join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato

Re: March 2012 ONTARIO Internet Rate Plans

said by morisato:

either way They Charge more than Distributel their Parent Cable Company In Ontario @ least on a monthly basis Sure prepay an entire year and Save, But on a strictly month vs Month price How does a Throttled Acanac Cable Connection Compare? ....

And these are the kinds of comparisons which people NEED to make.

That's why some others (and now myself) are making these spreadsheets.

I was, however, more interested, this particular month, in folks comparing the various DSL promos being offered, but yes, you could apply some of the same observations you just made to some of the DSL plans too.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

ya i was Looking Some are Good Some are marginally as in 1 or 2 dollars different others Are Actually more expensive than Un Throttled I mean Acanac is Implementing this Throttling Option to bring Lower prices to customers So they say But then Their pricing structure When Not prepaying is VERY similar to UNThrottled isps In certain groupings.In the cable case they also Charge a higher Install fee by $10 dollars than distributel.

As far as the DSL packages go, They Look Good With the promos for the most part but in order to get a connection thats not going to be Crippled to the point of almost being useless You need to go with a minimum of the 12/1 a connection that is 6 is Sufficent for netflix 3 On the other hand is basically worthless.

So your looking @ 50 a month for 12/1 Unlimited Which is Throttled to 6/1 for 5 hours a day, 5 days a week and if i read it right almost the entire day on weekends? like 3-12? Thats ouch. Basically For most people A Connection Thats Running @ half speed whenever you use it. Seems to me more worthwhile to Get The Unthrottled Lower Tier and pocket the difference I mean if i work 9-5 weekends off My internet useage is largely falling in Throttled hours a 12/1 is 50 Throttled to 6/1 getting a 6/8 Unthrottled connection 24/7 is only 43.95 Which also Highlights That acanacs Supposedly Limited for your savings 6/800 is the same price as ebox Unthrottled 6/800,

Looks more like acanac is Pocketing the profit rather than passing The savings onwards to me at least