morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: March 2012 ONTARIO Internet Rate Plans

said by Davesnothere:

said by morisato:

myself i would gladly take Unthrottled 24/1 for 40 a month over weird Throttling 28/14 -/1 for 46ish

When you consider the sometimes awful speed tests which some TSI customers are posting for Cable accounts, for the same peak period during which Acanac says they may limit speed, we should not trust that ANY ISP will deliver full speed during that timeframe, no matter WHAT they might advertise, IMNSHO.

Some have called Acanac more honest about the reality of the matter than any of the other Cablecos.

As for the Cable Modems, I have no idea how theirs may be, but many of us were skeptical of TP-Link products and THEY turned out pretty decent, AND affordable.

All i have to go off for huwaei is their horrible Cellular Phones so maybe modems are more their forte, Avoid their cellphones p:) , And While Tsi Speed tests are horrible i rarely see that from Distributel, In tsis case i am pretty sure its Mostly Growing pangs distributel has been in the cable game alot longer and so already had its teething phase. And Since Cable speeds are So Unreliable would not the Cheapest Price then be the best Choice since its a crapshoot no matter where ya go? and Currently thats Distributel. Cable wise.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by morisato:

....And While Tsi Speed tests are horrible i rarely see that from Distributel....

But it is unlikely that D-Tel is delivering full speed during the whole peak evening period, no matter what negativity has not been posted in review of them.

ALL ISPs oversubscribe to some degree.

They cannot afford NOT to.

It's just that some get caught at it more often, I figure.
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

ya I can jive with that But just the same if its all a Crapshoot I would pick the cheapest ISP, not like any of the 3 cable providers not named rogers have Any major difference at the moment except price, all have been off the ball for support for awhile, distributel is $50. Acanac is $52, TSI is 62, makes you wonder why any sane person would pick TSI over Distributel or Even Acanac ( note i consider myself a few bricks short of a load)

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by morisato:

ya I can jive with that....

It's just that I think that some folks got very worried when Acanac decided to be open about throttling/limiting speed, as they had bad memories of how Bell did that.

My choices do not include alternate cable due to being caught in the Cogeco Corral, but these new DSL deals this month may help me save some bucks.

I will say though that my current Cogeco 30/2 service just flies, even during peak period, but it costs more than I can really afford, and these new specials have me shopping for various DSL just as I think you said you are shopping for Cable.

And I am making many of the same comparisons which you are, and likely a lot of others will be, over the next few days.

Removing that $95 (or so) startup fee from Bell is what so many of us have been requesting/begging/praying/waiting, etc.

The 3 providers who have so far openly offered to pass along this Bell March promo are TSI, Acanac, and Velcom.

Acanac seems to be throwing in a FREE DRY LOOP for "at least 24 months" (see their site's 'Naked DSL' page), and that is interesting, but TSI and Velcom have some lower priced plans which are NOT unlimited monthly usage, where Acanac does not offer such plans.

When you add the monthly DL fee to THOSE plans ($11 + HST to ME), it is not all that diffferent in price to Acanac, but then we must weigh other factors, such as having stated a throttling/limiting policy vs not saying for sure, and other peoples' opinions of the various companies.

It's a Dog's Dinner !
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Not to Suggest one do this But The way TSI has organized its Overage Fee System is a rolling Average if your over for 2 months In a Row The 3rd Month is Charged @ the unlimited rate Thats Your fee You pay, So It stands to reason there is No real purpose to Ever paying for Unlimited because Its cheaper to be on a 300M plan and pay the extra fee once every 3 months or if as i suspect it ends up being every other Month Rather Than Paying for Unlimited straight as well.

I can Say For TSI my 25/7 Runs at full speed right thru Primetime and on weekends Provided my Cellpipe is not resetting i get 3/mbs a second p:)

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by morisato:

Not to Suggest....

TSI NEVER DID CLARIFY once and for all exactly what they meant as to how this rolling average thing would work (instead they just pulled their FAQ and left us all hanging), and there are several interpretations of it STILL floating around out here, but I agree in principle that it is unlikely that very many of us would go over our caps EVERY month, and also that it is unlikely that TSI would ding us EVERY month even if we did.

So yes, I'm looking at TSI's 300GB plans myself, as I was on one before and never exceeded it (or never got dinged, anyway).

And I agree with your general logic about playing the odds.

Therefive, it's TSI's 12 or 16Mb 300GB plans plus the monthly DL fee, vs Acanac's 12 or 16 Mb Unlimited Usage with DL included, paying one month at a time (and 25/7 is not available to me where I live).

Acanac says that they MAY limit speed during peak periods, where TSI says nothing but the end result would be the same if congestion happens.

TSI will cost a tad more, based on that comparison.

EDIT : I forgot, but TSI also has that 2AM-8AM 'off-peak usage not counted' feature, so that makes their capped plans less risky than when I was with them in the past.
bbiab
join:2004-05-26

bbiab

It says it is checked every month with potential rollover. It appears concise. Averaging allows one month over, so I guess that is in the customer's favor. So maybe they have decided it is more than fair. As far as I am aware, they are the only one who does this averaging, probably motivated by not really wanting to deal in overages. If a customer goes over 2 months in a row, what do you think they should do? The customer already abused the grace.
bbiab

bbiab to morisato

to morisato
Perhaps nobody has ever proven congestion on TSI's cloud, not prolonged anyways. You get what you pay for.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic to morisato

to morisato
said by morisato:

All i have to go off for huwaei is their horrible Cellular Phones so maybe modems are more their forte, Avoid their cellphones p:)

I'm not sure which phone you're referring to, but I was using a basic U1250 for a while, and although it was mostly plastic, that thing worked like a champ for over a year before I upgraded. I dropped it 10-15 times and its screen is scratched to hell, but it never drops a call.

As for the internet plans, the list would get interesting if you added the contract prices (-15% for a year or whatever) for the incumbents if you sign for a certain time length. Not many of those prices are officially written anywhere. That's what makes it so interesting
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
I Called acanac a while back had a conversation with there sales guy who BTW seemed a bit Checked out on the conversation but eventually The rate limit/throttle will be applied most likely for the full 50% during the hours. is what i was informed.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by morisato:

I Called acanac a while back had a conversation with there sales guy who BTW seemed a bit Checked out on the conversation but eventually The rate limit/throttle will be applied most likely for the full 50% during the hours. is what i was informed.

They had better train all of their staff the same on this, or the same thing will happen to them as with the TSI FAQ v1.0 !

Paul and Lynn each explained it multiple times (here and on their own forum) that it would be applied ONLY AS NECESSARY, and only to the level and time length as necessary, to a MAX limit of half of your MAX speed, therefive leaving only the other half for the customer in a worst-case scenario.

And that's nothing like what Bell did - not underhanded, and not down to 30KB of bandwidth (speed) on p2p and for a while even on video streams.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to bbiab

Premium Member

to bbiab
said by bbiab:

It says it is checked every month with potential rollover. It appears concise. Averaging allows one month over, so I guess that is in the customer's favor. So maybe they have decided it is more than fair. As far as I am aware, they are the only one who does this averaging, probably motivated by not really wanting to deal in overages. If a customer goes over 2 months in a row, what do you think they should do? The customer already abused the grace.

Please provide us with a link to the page where this is currently officially posted, worded in that manner.
bbiab
join:2004-05-26

bbiab

I am suggesting there is no FAQ now.
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
How the Rolling average works.

Every month, we will average the usage for the two previous months. If the average exceeds the Customers cap, we will automatically roll them over to the unlimited plan. Our customers will be notified when this rollover happens.

»teksavvy.com/en/res-inte ··· ages-dsl
Click the Button How the Rolling averages work More And u will see the above text.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by morisato:

How the Rolling average work :

Every month, we will average the usage for the two previous months. If the average exceeds the Customer's cap, we will automatically roll them over to the unlimited plan. Our customers will be notified when this rollover happens.

»teksavvy.com/en/res-inte ··· ages-dsl

Click the Button How the Rolling averages work and u will see the above text.

Right.

Seen it before, and it contains some weasel words just like it always did, IMNSHO.

There are still multiple ways to interpret that popup's wording alone, even without considering the different manner in which TSI's now-pulled FAQ explained it.

I stand on what I posted earlier. »Re: March 2012 ONTARIO Internet Rate Plans

TSI has still NOT issued an official clarification, one with some clear example situations in it, and they NEED TO DO THAT.