share rss forum feed

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1

New Verizon Wireless Broadband

Verizon launches wireless broadband for homes

I know this is off topic but is it different than what Vz already offers? Why the large antenna?

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

This technology is NOT new. A local WISP here uses the same receiver to capture signal transmitted from a tower about 3 miles away. Mounts on the top of the roof.
A company called SKYPILOT makes these. and the one being offered by Verizon is probably a modified verison of it to pick up a cell signal.

rekees

join:2007-03-23
reply to Jack_in_VA

Confused. What is the source of the signals, satellite or 4G LTE towers? Who would want that ugly thing (size of a 5 gallon bucket) on their roof if you could get the same LTE service using a USB modem plugged into their computer?

"By the end of the year, Verizon hopes to provide it everywhere it has coverage with its new "LTE" wireless network."

That statement would seem to hint the source is towers.

--
Indiana

Lamiel

join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI

What a laugh this is. I can only hope that very few sign on for this rip-off, forcing Verizon to lower the price or raise the cap. I prefer to stick with 3G speeds and dream of DSL, thank you very much.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to rekees

said by rekees:

Confused. What is the source of the signals, satellite or 4G LTE towers? Who would want that ugly thing (size of a 5 gallon bucket) on their roof if you could get the same LTE service using a USB modem plugged into their computer?

"By the end of the year, Verizon hopes to provide it everywhere it has coverage with its new "LTE" wireless network."

That statement would seem to hint the source is towers.

Could be it's just a good antenna that could enable many that can't get a reliable signal with the USB modem. This would just allow them to use the existing 3G and 4G LTE service.

Verizon is doing a lot of new services. I recently switched from my unreliable Vz land line and started using Verizons Home Connect which is a stationary cell phone system utilizing your old phone number and home phones. Price $19.95/mo. A $40/mo savings for me over the old Vz land line.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to rekees

Its an wireless antenna used to connect to a Verizon LTE Tower.
Why would Verizon be getting into satellite??????

said by rekees:

Confused. What is the source of the signals, satellite or 4G LTE towers?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by compuguybna:

Its an wireless antenna used to connect to a Verizon LTE Tower.
Why would Verizon be getting into satellite??????

said by rekees:

Confused. What is the source of the signals, satellite or 4G LTE towers?

For $200 could it be a combo antenna/modem? It's huge so the range must be good.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

3 edits
reply to Jack_in_VA

You forgot to add in the $10.00 in taxes, which essentially raises the bill to over $30!!!!! I already had it. No cheaper than an A&TT landline.

Federal-Univ Serv Assess Non-LD... $2.03
Administrative Charge ................. $0.99
Regulatory Charge ...................... $0.40
Tennessee State-911 Tax .... $1.00
Tennessee State-Sales Tax .. $4.30
County-Other taxes/fees $0.08
County-Sales Tax .......... $1.40

said by Jack_in_Verizon :

is doing a lot of new services. I recently switched from my unreliable Vz land line and started using Verizons Home Connect which is a stationary cell phone system utilizing your old phone number and home phones. Price $19.95/mo. A $40/mo savings for me over the old Vz land line.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

Funny my combined landline/cell phone monthly bill went from $108/mo to $68/mo. That's a $40/mo savings.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Sure you saved money, which is great! But Verizon touts the service at $19.95 unlimited calls. But by the time you add the usual telecom. taxes, fees, and surcharges, its $10 more.

I ditched the traditional landline also, we use OOMA. All we pay is $3.47 a month (had to buy the box $149 on sale).

said by Jack_in_VA:

Funny my combined landline/cell phone monthly bill went from $108/mo to $68/mo. That's a $40/mo savings.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to Jack_in_VA

Just as Viasat's EXEDE's $149 activation/install fee AND $10 a month lease fee.

HomeFusion by Verizon will require customers to shell out a whopping $200 for the device/install.

That will turn alot of people away.

I wonder if Millenicom will jump on this bandwagon, or just stick with their USB devices?

Brent78

join:2011-10-23
Freetown, IN
reply to Jack_in_VA

Didn't like when I saw that story.

My fear is that they'll start pushing customers currently using USB mobile broadband devices at home to this thing. I can just imagine that they start throttling and compressing and making life miserable. Then when anyone complains the answer will be...

"We never intended the mobile broadbance service to be a DSL alternative. You really need to switch to our new and wonderful HomeFusion service. We can't force you to switch, but we can't guarantee that your existing mobile broadband service will work since you're using it in a way it was never designed for."

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2

I doubt they will do that. This new service is for customers who would never go through all the hassle many of us have to get EVDO 3G to work in rural areas. Researching, buying, and putting up directional parabolic antennas, coaxial cable runs, antenna mounts, amplifiers, UPSs, antenna cable adapters, and antenna rotors can be a difficult and expensive task. This new service is about making getting cellular internet service almost as easy as getting satellite television. Those of us who did the work all by ourselves will still be providing a monthly payment to Verizon. Why would they give up that existing income?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

yup, in that "bucket' sized device will be a Omni antenna coupled with a LTE radio. Then the signal will be delivered via Cat5 directly to your computer or router. Hence the $200 price. I am curious to whom VZ is going to contract to install it.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
reply to compuguybna

Millenicom does not have a LTE USB device. From what I know the hang up is the software. Millenicom cannot use VZ for a connection manager, it has to be generic, and they just don't have that now.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

ahedge
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Neosho, MO
reply to Jim_in_VA

said by Jim_in_VA:

I am curious to whom VZ is going to contract to install it.

Asurion, says the press release

»thesmartphonechamp.com/verizon-l···nternet/
--

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to Jim_in_VA

The service consists of a Cantenna, mounted outside the home at its highest point, modified with multiple internal antennae to increase indoor reception and will be installed at no charge, while the equipment cost will be set at $199.99. The actual installation will be handled through Asurion while Verizon will also provide the router which will allow for four wired connections and up to 20 wireless connections via Wi-Fi.

said by Jim_in_VA:

yup, in that "bucket' sized device will be a Omni antenna coupled with a LTE radio. Then the signal will be delivered via Cat5 directly to your computer or router. Hence the $200 price. I am curious to whom VZ is going to contract to install it.

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today
reply to Jack_in_VA

For this to work out in the country they are going to have to step up the signal more then a few notch's cause as it stands now it pretty low you get two miles out from a LTE tower and lose signal.

Bosgarage57

join:2010-09-02
Sevierville, TN
reply to Jack_in_VA

I say if I cant use Wilsons Sleek 4gv when it comes out to get 4g where I live, where do I sign up? Is their a 2 yr agreement? I'd pay the extra $20/mo to get 20gb's of 4g speed.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN

HomeFusion using Verizon 4G LTE was available to order in the Verizon Store in NASHVILLE Today!
Wonder if Millenicom will venture into this?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2

I see a complicated installation that Millenicom may not want to support. I think they are going to stay re-sellers using USB modems exclusively for several years. Why increase support costs per customer?

OmegaWolf747
Vive la revolucion

join:2009-02-08
Royal Oak, MI

I agree with that. It would be nice if they offered LTE modems though.

stenman

join:2007-03-07
Salinas, CA
reply to Jack_in_VA

Be careful in subscribing to this service. I made the mistake of doing so and after it became clear that the equipment could not get an adequate signal I had to switch back to land line service. Only catch was that it took more than 10 days to get the number switched back from Verizon to the local telco tyrant, AT&T, and so we were without any phone service for that entire period of time.