uniqs

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

Better than Satellite

The only problem is getting the signal in a rural area. You'd think Verizon would wait to deploy this till there was actual coverage in rural areas.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

2 recommendations

88615298 (banned)

better than satellite? Kind of like saying herpes is better than AIDS. At least satellite doesn't charge $10 per GB overage.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

said by 88615298:

Kind of like saying herpes is better than AIDS.

Herpes is better than AIDS.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned)

said by morbo:

said by 88615298:

Kind of like saying herpes is better than AIDS.

Herpes is better than AIDS.

I wouldn't want either. That's the point
iFail 5G
join:2011-08-03

2 recommendations

iFail 5G to thegeek

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

The only problem is getting the signal in a rural area. You'd think Verizon would wait to deploy this till there was actual coverage in rural areas.

Apparently you haven't been to Birmingham, AL. We have a huge amount of rural, vast nothing covered with rural 4G LTE, places where people can't even get a landline.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
But given a "gun to your head" choice?

This certainly isn't an offering I would go for if I wanted to watch days upon days of "Downfall" parody videos on YouTube.

But, if I manage to own that cabin in the mountains I've always wanted some day, and spend 4 or so months a year up there, this would be a good offering for keeping up with my business online as opposed to dropping off the face of the earth for 25% of the year.

Oh, and since I've had neither Herpes or Aids, I can't attest to either.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to 88615298

to 88615298
That's the idea that you wouldn't want either, broadband options are abysmal in rural areas, but I sure would prefer LTE with low latency and strict caps over satelite with high latency and low caps.

It's the better of two evils.

floyd007
join:2004-06-07
Glen Allen, VA

1 recommendation

floyd007 to N3OGH

to N3OGH
said by N3OGH:

Oh, and since I've had neither Herpes or Aids, I can't attest to either.

If you have cold sore like 80% of the population in this country does, you have Herpes Simplex 1.

geeknik
join:2000-04-30
Luther, OK

geeknik to thegeek

to thegeek
I live in a rural area outside of OKC and I regularly get 40Mbit/sec downstream on my Verizon LTE USB modem. By comparison, my AT&T Uverse is only 18Mbit/sec.

Ms Murphy
@core-mark.com

Ms Murphy to 88615298

Anon

to 88615298
That comparison was inappropriate.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to geeknik

Premium Member

to geeknik
You can hit your cap and run up massive overages very quickly that way.....
NYC Girl
Premium Member
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

NYC Girl to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

Question: is this the same as FIOS or are they referring to LTE as in cell / smartphone wireless Internet? Because the article mentions "residential LTE". Just curious.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

said by NYC Girl:

Question: is this the same as FIOS or are they referring to LTE as in cell / smartphone wireless Internet? Because the article mentions "residential LTE". Just curious.

It is not in any way related to FIOS, although they may try to brand it that way. It's just a way to leverage the mobile broadband LTE towers and backhaul links they've already installed to serve fixed location residential locations that don't have other options.

VZT
@verizon.net

VZT to NYC Girl

Anon

to NYC Girl
LTE (long term evolution) doesn't really mean anything. but is wireless internet
NYC Girl
Premium Member
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

NYC Girl to travelguy

Premium Member

to travelguy
Thank you!!