kudos:4

Birmingham, Dallas, and Nashville

are "rural" huh?

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by Jim_in_VA:

are "rural" huh?

Exactly. People in Nashville already have a choice of U-verse or Comcast both of which are better than this crap.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to Jim_in_VA

"and the company hopes to have the service fully deployed to every LTE market by the end of the year." Think about it, it puts Clear out of business.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

Not just Clear but satellite providers as well, In reality customers In rural areas that can access both services will see the bottom line that they get more GB for less at a faster speed on Verizon. Not many will care about overage charges until after they hit them.

Satellite broadband providers needs to "step it up" and get rid of there caps or bump it to some where along the lines of ATT DSL cap 150 GB minimum to really compete and crush the soon to be onslaught of LTE offerings.

CLEAR User

@supervalu.com
reply to mix

Clear is "unlimited" ... will provide similar speeds ... $50 (MUCH Cheaper).

Of course this depends on the area ... but that argument is the same for Verizon too.

My wife's T-Bolt use to get 20Mbs downloads on Speedtest via Verizon LTE with an average of 15 easy. 8 months later I am averaging 5.

Clear does throttle ... but Verizon will eventually have to also.

Verizon probably has more LTE coverage however. Verizon will have much better penetration on their 700Mz too. Mind you ... their antennae is outside. If Clear had an outside version ... speeds would be better too.

Long story short ... Clear would still be VERY attractive.

... Now if Clear can just earn enough money to stay running ...

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to 88615298

that's not always true. I think it means "NASHVILLE MARKETS".
I can name plenty of places in NASHVILLE that are outside the limits of cable, and definately outside the limits of DSL. I lived there, I know what's available. DSL is limited by distance from the C/O. Take a road like Old Hickory Blvd. Alot of that road isnt covered by DSL (too far out), and Comcast never extended their lines. so saying people in Nashville have a choice...Sometimes they dont!

NASHVILLE MARKET encompasses a large area. I'm 45 miles from Nashville now, but I'm still in the "NASHVILLE MARKET". We even have TWO Verizon LTE TOWERS here. One is in town, the other is in a hay field 9 miles away.

said by 88615298:

said by Jim_in_VA:

are "rural" huh?

Exactly. People in Nashville already have a choice of U-verse or Comcast both of which are better than this crap.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to CLEAR User

I think clearwire is dead, but they providing outside antenna's probably would have been the only thing that could have saved them, with the bad frequencies they have for building penetration 2.5ghz they should have thought that out more.

On paper clearwire is more attractive than verizon lte because of the lack of low caps and high overages.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to buddahbless

said by buddahbless:

Not just Clear but satellite providers as well,

How many satellite users are there in areas that are covered by Verizon's LTE footprint? Satellite is realistically the last option for broadband before resorting to dialup. If you have fiber, cable, or dsl available you're going to go with that before satellite and probably LTE just because of costs and possible caps. Until Verizon offers LTE in real rural areas, satellite is in no danger of real competition.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to MovieLover76

Exactly. None of Clear's modems have external antenna ports so service largely sucks. I was lucky to see 2 or 3Mb with the modem on my desk but after putting up a directional antenna I reliably see 12-13Mb from Clear's WiMax along with sub 50ms latency. And it's only $50 for unlimited service (I hit 96GB last month with no FAP).

Clear should have sourced HW vendors to at least have the ports on the modems and coordinate with customers to obtain external antennas if service sucked.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to mix

Not necessarily. Clear costs less and doesn't have caps. Then again, their service is crappier.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

Overall Clear suckiness depends on where you are. In my area my VZW MiFi isn't nearly as fast as my Clear puck. And while VZW offers only 5GB/mo, Clear is unlimited, for about the same price.

AuraReturn
Premium
join:2003-08-18
USA
reply to buddahbless

said by buddahbless:

Not just Clear but satellite providers as well, In reality customers In rural areas that can access both services will see the bottom line that they get more GB for less at a faster speed on Verizon. Not many will care about overage charges until after they hit them.

Satellite broadband providers needs to "step it up" and get rid of there caps or bump it to some where along the lines of ATT DSL cap 150 GB minimum to really compete and crush the soon to be onslaught of LTE offerings.

Clear will always have a market. Smaller companies like those are so specialized that they will find a niche.
--
Ask me about my sites:
bay area jobs Dogs for adoption coupons NBA: »nbaintelligence.com