how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Local WISPS are a better deal...

My parents live in rural Missouri and pay $50/month with a local WISP. Although it used to be pretty poor (512Kbps down, 256Kbps up with lots of packet loss), the local company recently replaced the radio equipment. Now they can watch You Tube videos and my guess is they get 1-2Mbps down. Not sure on the up but I don't think there are any caps because this service is sold as a permanent Internet connection, not some mobile pile with low caps.

In my opinion, Verizon is crazy with a 10GB cap.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

WISPs would be a great option if they were everywhere. Very few people in my area that can't get cable/DSL can get WISP service.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

But clearly it demonstrates the big boys margin call is high enough that it's leaving room for competitors. If Verizon and AT&T would flip their spectrum to LTE-only and put decent caps in place (100GB for starters), $50/month for fast LTE would be competitive with cable. A 10GB cap is ridiculous they won't steal any DSL or cable customers. But I guess that isn't what they are trying to do. They are preying on those without any competition. Sad.