Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn

Re: Affinity Federal Credit Union

Unfortunately any "Bank" will be the same way. Debit cards to not provide the same protection as a credit card. If you are worried about this happening again the best thing to do would be get a credit card with the bank she is using and have them set it up to pull the full balance each month from her checking account or you can log in online and pay the bill out of her checking account

aannoonn
@151.190.0.x

aannoonn

Anon

This was a CREDIT card.

mareastrum
join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

mareastrum

Doesn't matter if it was a credit card, debit card or checking account. If you don't know where the charge is coming from and claiming fraud, they are going to get all their ducks in a row.

If you don't want to follow your procedures, that's up to you. But you're going to be hard pressed to get them to refund the money until then.

aannoonn
@151.190.0.x

aannoonn

Anon

said by mareastrum:

If you don't want to follow your procedures, that's up to you. But you're going to be hard pressed to get them to refund the money until then.

You and others seem to be missing the point...

Big Bank credit card: "$800 unauthorized charge? No problem! We've already removed the charge and you'll have a new card tomorrow. Have a nice day."

Credit Union credit card: "$369 unauthorized charge? Oh, dear. Let's see. You need to fill out a police report. Then wait for a form in the mail. Then fill out the form and get it notarized. Then send it back to us. And then, if we're satisfied, we'll remove the unauthorized charge. If we're not satisfied, you'll have to pay."

Which company would you rather do business with?

mareastrum
Saint Louis, MO

mareastrum

SMH. And you're missing the point. CUs are much different from Big Banks. Big Banks can and have in past experience revoked the temporary credit while they investigate because they haven't been satisfied with the information presented.

CUs have not only their interest but their members interest in mind. If every member claimed that they had fraud and they just forgave it, how long would it before the CU went under?

If you want to sit here comparing apples to oranges, go right ahead. I'd rather follow what they want me to do than sit and complain that it's not fair that I have to do this, that and the other.

If your CU is local, they should have the form to fill out in a branch. They should also have a notary on duty. You can get a police report done anytime. What I see is a hole in a bucket syndrome. You want to while about something but don't want to do something about it.

Good luck with your fraud report.

aannoonn
@151.190.0.x

aannoonn

Anon

said by mareastrum:

If your CU is local, they should have the form to fill out in a branch. They should also have a notary on duty.

The closest branch is 35 miles away. As if my 85 year-old mother is going to drive 70 miles by herself to get a form notarized.

They're mailing the form to my mother's home address. Do they really think that someone else is going to sign it? Having it notarized is completely unnecessary, and something I haven't had to do under similar circumstances with "real" banks.

Regarding the police report requirement (which the CU waived at my request), absolutely nothing would happen with the police report. It would be a complete waste of taxpayer dollars.

I should note that my mother has been a member of this credit union for probably 25 years. It's not like she's out to scam them. Sheesh.

Meanwhile the CU called and said they've taken off the unauthorized charge, but I still have to send back the notarized form. So I have to drive 160 miles round-trip to fill out the form with my mother, then take her to get the form notarized.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

you can get the form notarized any where, a lot of notaries will also travel to you. There is no reason you have to drive to the credit union to have it notarized.

fruhead
join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ

fruhead to aannoonn

to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

said by mareastrum:

If your CU is local, they should have the form to fill out in a branch. They should also have a notary on duty.

The closest branch is 35 miles away. As if my 85 year-old mother is going to drive 70 miles by herself to get a form notarized.

They're mailing the form to my mother's home address. Do they really think that someone else is going to sign it? Having it notarized is completely unnecessary, and something I haven't had to do under similar circumstances with "real" banks.

Regarding the police report requirement (which the CU waived at my request), absolutely nothing would happen with the police report. It would be a complete waste of taxpayer dollars.

I should note that my mother has been a member of this credit union for probably 25 years. It's not like she's out to scam them. Sheesh.

Meanwhile the CU called and said they've taken off the unauthorized charge, but I still have to send back the notarized form. So I have to drive 160 miles round-trip to fill out the form with my mother, then take her to get the form notarized.

Sounds to me like the CU is trying to work with you here. Why are you still bitching? Do your mom a solid and help her out. It's for her protection and for the protection of every other member of Affinity.

Seriously, it's such a bother to help out your mom? That's just sad.

mareastrum
Saint Louis, MO

mareastrum

I don't think it's a matter that it's a bother to help their mother. I think it's a bother that they have to do work to help the CU. I gave up after their last post because I realized that we'd be in a circular argument.

If the OP feels that it's a waste of time and that the CU is being difficult, then go to another CU and ask them their policy on fraudulent charges. I'm sure it'd be the same or similar. The higher the dollar amount, the more they have to do in order to recoup the losses.

Of course, this kind of logic is lost on some people.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

Big Bank credit card: "$800 unauthorized charge? No problem! We've already removed the charge and you'll have a new card tomorrow. Have a nice day."

After my experiences I have to agree.
My wife had fraudulent charges on a Citibank card to the tune of $700 (made at a store where she used to purchase regularly). The crooks had cloned the card as the charges were made by swiping. One call froze the account and she had a new card 2 days later plus forms to fill for having the charges removed. No notary, no police report - and again, she had multiple legitimate charges at the same store during that month, some close in amount.
I had a similar experience with Capital One for almost $1000, only I disputed the charges online, even less hassle.

pasnydersve
@qwest.net

pasnydersve to aannoonn

Anon

to aannoonn
Bib banks also charge you higher fees for just about everything so they can absorb the fraud. As long as the stock price is OK no one cares. Credit Unions are cooperatives...something you don't seem to understand or care about. You get what you give in a cooperative. What's good for one member isn't necesarrily good for all the members. As an owner I'd think your mother would want to help the company she owns keep costs down. Perhaps a cooperative is the wrong place for her....although we only know what you think.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to Bamafan2277

Premium Member

to Bamafan2277
said by Bamafan2277:

Unfortunately any "Bank" will be the same way. Debit cards to not provide the same protection as a credit card. If you are worried about this happening again the best thing to do would be get a credit card with the bank she is using and have them set it up to pull the full balance each month from her checking account or you can log in online and pay the bill out of her checking account

If the OPs grandmother used a debit card and not a real credit card then yes you are not guaranteed the money back and you have to do what the bank wants to get your money back.

My previous post about chase, amex, capital one is about REAL credit cards not debit cards.
I once had my debit card stolen and I had to fill out multiple forms to get the money back and the bank said I only get it back after their investigation which took two weeks. I also had to file out a police report.
Real credit card companies give you your money back instantly.

Why people think a debit card is a credit card is beyond me. Just because you can run it as a credit does not make it a credit card.