dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

[OS X] OSX - migration assistant

When I set my mac up this past weekend, I ran the migration assistant between my PC and MAC. This tool apparently creates a new user (same name as the pc user) in OSX and sets the contacts, mail settings, history and files in that users directory path.

Anyway - I ended up manually moving my important files from the PC and manually settig up the OSX mail client. I used iCloud to move my Outlook contacts to both my Imac and Idevices.

The problem with this approach is that it appears the PC Outlook is still the master of the contact list - I dont seem to be able to delete contacts on the Imac.

Assuming that the migration assistant setup Contacts and Mail history in the account it created on the MAC, how can I copy those settings to my primary MAC account??

Are these simply kept in files I can copy or is there some export/import process???
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

Are you using Address Book our Outlook for Mac to manage your contacts on the iMac? Do you have any exchange accounts?

Try this first: »office.microsoft.com/en- ··· 639.aspx

Then import the file into address book: »email.about.com/od/macos ··· ol_c.htm

Also, one pedantic point:
MAC = Machine Address Code
Mac = short for Macintosh, a computer made by Apple

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by Daemon:

Are you using Address Book our Outlook for Mac to manage your contacts on the iMac? Do you have any exchange accounts?

Also, one pedantic point:
MAC = Machine Address Code
Mac = short for Macintosh, a computer made by Apple

Ha - sorry about the acronyms......

I am currently using Addressbook on the 'Mac'. I will be getting Office which includes Outlook but am not sure if I will use Outlook or not - have not decided....

I assume if I choose to use outlook - I simply export on the PC and import on the Mac.

Also - no exchange accounts.
Daemon
Premium Member
Washington, DC

Daemon to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
I was editing my post while you were writing yours. Try the instructions on the links I added in my previous post.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by Daemon:

I was editing my post while you were writing yours. Try the instructions on the links I added in my previous post.

Do you know if this method preserves contact groups??
Daemon
Premium Member
Washington, DC

Daemon to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
I do not. If I had to guess I would say yes, but I'm not sure.