wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium Member
join:2001-09-05
Albion, NY

wapu

Premium Member

AOL Email and other things to prevent you from being hired

I am currently screening Resumes for an IT System Support position. Is it wrong that I immediately put a resume in the NO-GO pile if it comes from an AOL email address?

Anyone else Judge potential candidates by their email address?

What other things to you immediately disqualify them for?

I received 30 applications from people at FastTrain College within an hour of the Craig's List posting. I have started eliminating them. Seven of the resumes were from instructors at Fast Train and their work experience prior to becoming instructors is even enough to get them hired.

This is much harder than I was hoping.

One other thing, if you are going in for an interview, don't tell the person you are talking to about how you can hack your neighbors facebook. You want them to trust you.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

I judge candidates on everything. It's never going to come down to two people having all the exact same qualifications, except one has an AOL email address and one doesn't, anyway.

Other things that will get you passed on quickly: arriving late without calling ahead and having a good reason, not dressing for the job you want (specifics vary with company), not knowing anything about the company you're applying to (at least check the web site, come on), not being able to keep up a conversation, and not keeping up on technology in general.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

1 recommendation

DC DSL to wapu

Premium Member

to wapu
For someone who is supposed to be able to solve problems with their eyes closed and their hands tied behind their back, something coming from AOL or other consumer service, I instantly discard them. Anyone claiming to be an IT professional who can't at least figure out how to use their ISP or Hotmail or Gmail is anything but. Now, if this is an entry-level position, they might not be deleted out of hand but only looked at as an absolute last resort.

I also ignore people with less than 3-5 years of paid experience in the same or related job description in the US, or who aren't US citizens.

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

The scary thing is, AOL might still be their ISP... *cringe*
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

1 edit

mikefxu to wapu

to wapu
Everyone in IT should have multiple domain names including one they use for email. It was a joyful day when my own name came available, FirstNameLastName.com . Car dealership with my name that went out of business.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix to wapu

Premium Member

to wapu
If they have an AOL e-mail then, really now what?

use any meteric to judge and only re-review the dropped ones if the narrowed list looks poor.

What I would to is work out a scoring method
-100 points for aol e-mail
+20 points for non-isp related e-mail
+50 points for gmail
+100 points for own domainname e-mail
+10 points per year of paid work in that type of job

then after scoring on all meterics that you're legaly allowed and are relevent to the job i'd look over the top 10 and see if the scoring method worked or if one meteric should have been weighted more
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to mikefxu

Premium Member

to mikefxu
said by mikefxu:

Everyone in IT should have multiple domain names including one they use for email. It was a joyful day when my own name came available, FirstNameLastName.com . Car dealership with my name that went out of business.

however it'd be less professional to use a personal domainname for it maybe because whats the likely hood of them having a really reliable setup let along one that is as stable as gmail

but then they might have g-mail redirecting with their self run smtp server

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

however it'd be less professional to use a personal domainname for it maybe because whats the likely hood of them having a really reliable setup let along one that is as stable as gmail

Hogwash. Where one hosts their domain and email is irrelevant as long as it works. However, I would expect them to have separate websites (not necessarily separate domains) to separate their professional and personal dealings.
DC DSL

DC DSL to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

If they have an AOL e-mail then, really now what?

use any meteric to judge and only re-review the dropped ones if the narrowed list looks poor.

How long have you been in the industry and personally involved in hiring decisions?
gudel
System Lord
Premium Member
join:2004-06-03
USA

1 recommendation

gudel to wapu

Premium Member

to wapu
I personally do not care which email they use, as long as they're competent, have relevant experience/skills, and can pass my final test.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

1 recommendation

DC DSL

Premium Member

said by gudel:

I personally do not care which email they use, as long as they're competent, have relevant experience/skills, and can pass my final test.

In 2000, it didn't matter; in the 2012 world, it does. I adopted my no-AOL addresses policy about 5 years ago, after seeing an absolute pattern that those people were incapable of even passing my phonescreens. Whether there is the rare person using an AOL addy who could be my ideal worker doesn't matter to me today: There are gazillions of competent professionals who *are* smart enough to figure out how to be visible; I absolutely refuse to waste my or a client's time wading through lazy dreck.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I agree. An AOL email address, particularly from an IT professional, is as much a sign as someone showing up in ripped shorts and flip flops. (actually it is worse, since that dress IS still acceptable in SOME environments)

And since anyone with any interest in IT should know that, using an AOL address proves they are either completely incompetent, or extremely out of the loop.
mikefxu
Titusville, FL

mikefxu to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix :

I am not suggesting hosting your own website/email. Just to have your own domain. There are plenty of low cost reliable host, its not worth your time to host it yourself.

Now I am thinking my wife is an ultrasound technician and uses a aol address for your resumes. I wonder if they judge persons in those fields based on the aol address.

Free email amenities change, my isp changes, but my domain name never does.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
Absolutely no hire if someone makes up words like "meteric" on their resume.

(Related to "if you can't spell 'principal engineer' you're not going to be one for me").
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL
Google will host your domain email for free. me@mydomain.com.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

1 recommendation

tomdlgns to wapu

Premium Member

to wapu
just make sure you don't tell HR you discarded their resume for that reason (aol email) you can get in trouble/fired for discrimination, because that is what you are doing.

however, i agree with alot that has been said. especially if they are interviewing for an IT job.

google apps is free for 10 users, assuming you have/dont mind buying your own domain.

my all time favorite was a guy that sent in his resume and had his wife's e-mail for the contact email address. yes, this was for an IT job (entry-level).

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium Member
Albion, NY

1 recommendation

wapu

Premium Member

said by tomdlgns:

just make sure you don't tell HR you discarded their resume for that reason (aol email) you can get in trouble/fired for discrimination, because that is what you are doing.

however, i agree with alot that has been said. especially if they are interviewing for an IT job.

google apps is free for 10 users, assuming you have/dont mind buying your own domain.

my all time favorite was a guy that sent in his resume and had his wife's e-mail for the contact email address. yes, this was for an IT job (entry-level).

I am fairly certain that discriminating based on an AOL email is not covered under title VII, but I will ask HR tomorrow.;-P

Besides, one of our requirements is that the candidate be knowledgeable of the latest trends in IT as far as security and bloat/malware are concerned. An AOL email and the rest of the crap they like to install is a failure in this regard. No different than if they didn't take the time to proofread their cover letter or they are a web dev hosting at angelfire.

An interesting thing came up with someone who had their own domain email today. One of the resumes was from an interesting looking domain. So we pulled it up and there was a pic of someone with a fat joint, a hand gun, and had their tongue out on a nipple on a pair of stripper titties. At first we thought it was just the domain, but the guy in the pic was definitely the same guy as the linked in profile listed on the resume. I couldn't take the risk our CEO would get the idea to look up this guys domain. He went to the MAYBE pile we might get back to.

As for anyone out there who is currently looking for work and happens across this post, I have some advice:

We received over 150 resumes within 72 hours of our Craig's List posting. I had to go through every singe one. So, don't be a dumb ass. Have your shit squared away before clicking send.

I know there are a lot of postings to respond to, but pay attention. Don't cut and paste someone else's posting into your response to me. Pay attention to what the job posting requires. If it requires a cover letter, resume, and salary, send all three and a nicely worded email body. An email with no body and a single attachment will likely not even get opened. Responses that meet all the requirements move to the top of the list.

Also, be reasonable. An IT Support Position is not gonna pay $75,000/year to someone with less than a year of experience. I know ITT Tech told you different, but maybe your salary requirements are why you are still a waiter 7 months after graduation.

And finally, don't lie on your resume.

Studying for a cert is not the same as getting the cert. Listing Certs on your resume without actually passing the exam is a lie.

But if you do lie, at the very least, remember your lies.

A guy today had "Install, Configure and Maintain VMware vShpere Environments" listed on his resume. During the interview I ask what he would do to automate the backup of our VMs. It was more a question to get him to talk about the software than it was a question about our environment. He asked "Is that the same as XP Mode in Windows 7?" I told him no and a little curious asked him where the easiest place to download the vSphere client. He told me, "vsphere.com" so he "is sure to always get the latest version"

I told him "Interview's over. Thanks for coming in and don't worry about waiting for a call back, there won't be one" As I walked him to the door he asked what he did wrong. I told him I felt he was dishonest on his resume and that I wouldn't be able to trust anything he told me.

sorry for the wall of text, but it was a frustrating day.

SouthLA
@cox.net

SouthLA to mikefxu

Anon

to mikefxu
Not the same industry / situation, but I get email from various vendors hawking this and that all day long, and mail from AOL, Yahoo, etc., don't get a second look.

aannoonn
@151.190.0.x

aannoonn to wapu

Anon

to wapu
I think the bigger problem is that you're advertising for jobs on Craigslist.
praetoralpha
join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA

praetoralpha

said by aannoonn :

+1.

Your company: -1.

I have never heard of any reputable IT company/department that posts openings on Craigslist. At least go to places that specialize in professional jobs, like Monster, CareerBuilder, or Dice. Or skip that and go to an IT staffing firm.
mikefxu
Titusville, FL

mikefxu

Craigslist is not a toy for everyone. It does have legitimate uses: »www.craigslist.org/about ··· ing_fees

Really
@comcast.net

Really to wapu

Anon

to wapu
Use Craiglist? Really are you kidding?

You rip someone because of their use of AOL. Remember, you are the fool using Craiglist.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

Absolutely no hire if someone makes up words like "meteric" on their resume.

I'm a Spelling and Grammar Nazi. There is absolutely no excuse for a resume to contain spelling or grammatical errors. This is a document that one has plenty of time to reflect upon and carefully proofread before distributing it. Same for a cover letter. The candidate is disqualified with the first error, or if they present themselves using "txt spk."

I also have zero-tolerance for someone using their phone during an interview. Interviewees are asked to turn them off before we get started: Anyone who doesn't and it rings, vibrates or they text while meeting with me is told to leave right then and there. I don't give a flying f* how important someone thinks they are. The inability or unwillingness to give someone complete and undivided attention means that person will not be an optimal performer and a distracting, if not disruptive, presence.

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium Member
Albion, NY

wapu to praetoralpha

Premium Member

to praetoralpha
said by praetoralpha:

said by aannoonn :

+1.

Your company: -1.

I have never heard of any reputable IT company/department that posts openings on Craigslist. At least go to places that specialize in professional jobs, like Monster, CareerBuilder, or Dice. Or skip that and go to an IT staffing firm.

Craig's list is a perfectly fine place to post a job listing. Next time you are looking, try there, you might be surprised. For us, it is $25 for a job posting so there is not much risk.

We have also listed on Monster and Linked In. Monster is so full of recruiters that it is tough to find applicants from there. I have received 40+ inquiry's from staffing firms promising to find me someone. All came from the Monster posting. When I search there, our listing is buried in the middle of ads and sponsored jobs. Careerbuilder is only slightly better and I actually prefer them, but our HR dept already has an account with Monster. Our CEO loves Linked In. We have 3 or 4 people who have come to us through Linked in, including our CFO and newest district manager. Posting there was strongly "suggested". Dice is $500 for a 30 day listing all by itself. For $500 I got a listing at 3 other sites with a lot of good applicants.

So far, about 80% of the people we have called sent us resumes from more than one site, Craig's List and one of the others. It seems we could have saved over $400 skipping the monster and linked-in listings.

I am not a fan of the IT staffing firms. I admit I have a biased because of negative experiences with them over the years, bot it's more than that. I have a budget for getting this person hired. Paying someone else to do it cuts into what I can offer in salary. Also, I am never 100% sure I can trust them. Either they are trying to get the highest salary from me to bump their commission or they are trying to get the applicant to take the lowest amount possible. That isn't how I want to start my relationship with the person I am hoping to eventually trust my network and in some degree, my sanity too.
mikefxu
Titusville, FL

mikefxu to Really

to Really
said by Really :

Use Craiglist? Really are you kidding?

You rip someone because of their use of AOL. Remember, you are the fool using Craiglist.

I am not suggesting you only post to craigslist but in addition to your other paid placements. One reason it maybe good to include craigslist is that it is crawled by search engines and if someone would type in "Orlando IT Jobs" it is highly likely that craigslist would be in the top results. Craigslist is no different from posting in your local newspaper classified. I would not expect someone in IT to be looking for jobs in a newspaper but non IT fields may. Again craigslist can be a toy and haven for scammers but I have done plenty of legitimate business for both personal and business purposes.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to wapu

Premium Member

to wapu
said by wapu:

Is it wrong that I immediately put a resume in the NO-GO pile if it comes from an AOL email address?

Yes.

Why? Flip the question. Say I was staunchly anti-MS. Is it wrong that I immediately dump Hotmail resumes into the trash? Now, insert any company in place of AOL or Microsoft. Repeat example as often as you desire.
said by wapu:

Anyone else Judge potential candidates by their email address?

I would. If I got a job application at smokeweedeveryday@gmail.com, or loveskidstoomuch@yahoo.com, I'd probably immediately file them under "Hell No".
Thaler

Thaler to wapu

Premium Member

to wapu
said by wapu:

Besides, one of our requirements is that the candidate be knowledgeable of the latest trends in IT as far as security and bloat/malware are concerned. An AOL email and the rest of the crap they like to install is a failure in this regard.

You do know AOL gives out webmail address now for free, right?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

so what, theres a stigma stuck to AOL and that stigma won't die till they are renamed or go out of business.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

And there are stigmas about every company. You're really going to say that it's OK to judge against a job candidate that comes in with an @aol.com address, but not one with a @me.com or @gmail.com?

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve to Thaler

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

Why? Flip the question. Say I was staunchly anti-MS. Is it wrong that I immediately dump Hotmail resumes into the trash? Now, insert any company in place of AOL or Microsoft. Repeat example as often as you desire.

The OP is not dismissing AOL addresses because he hates AOL; he's doing so because he's found an AOL address highly correlative with worthless candidacy. That's not the same thing as a chocolate versus vanilla preference.

Steve