ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One

Re: AOL Email and other things to prevent you from being hired

said by Wily_One:

It has nothing to do with bargaining power. In several EU countries, stuff like I mentioned (male maternity) is the law, in addition to 3-4 weeks of paid vacation, all kinds of holidays, etc., for every single employee. It really is ridiculous.

I know it, was like that in France.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Being a father of two children...

I really enjoyed getting to spend a week home with my wife and new child after the birth. However, it was impossible to spend more than a week due to little vacation time. Fortunately, my wife is an amazing woman and was ready and able to take care of herself and the newborn all by herself during the day.

Had she suffered from post partum depression or had a C-section or further complications, it would have been significantly worse as I would have probably needed to take LWOP to care for her and our child.

We have a major parenting problem in this nation and men having few "rights" when it comes to the birth or adoption of a child certainly doesn't help. Women getting 6+ weeks of short-term disability after delivery is a huge deal.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Admittedly I don't have kids, or plan to for that matter, but I don't see why it's necessary for men to take that much time off. A week to check on things should be more than sufficient. If there are underlying issues such as postpartum, then the occasional time off should be expected, but whole weeks are still ridiculous, since such a thing requires professional help anyways.

I think that's true of most countries outside of Europe. There are upsides and downside to more "rights" of course.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

1 recommendation

Immer to wapu

Premium Member

to wapu
said by wapu:

I am currently screening Resumes for an IT System Support position. Is it wrong that I immediately put a resume in the NO-GO pile if it comes from an AOL email address?
Anyone else Judge potential candidates by their email address?
What other things to you immediately disqualify them for?

I fully support the OPs decision to dismiss a resume for an IT position based on... well... anything he feels does not fit with his company.

When applying for a new job, I use the most professional email address I can, the best looking resume (I like to grab samples/standards from whichever company I'm applying), and I double/triple check my grammar and spelling. I fully expect anyone who hopes to compete with me for the job to do the same.

Rather than trash the resume, I'd probably database it so that HR has somewhere to scour for entry-level or temp jobs... give them a shot at employment and career growth... at a time when it may provide the most benefit to the firm.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
I don't want to derail the thread too much...

I'm probably (much) younger than you. I don't buy into the Dad's aren't responsible for the babies thing. My wife and I are equal partners in raising our children. Ultimately, I will have to account for my wife and my children, but we're partners on handling them.

I'm hugely pro-family and see no reason that a "man" should not be able to take extended periods of time off to bring a new child into his home. Women are able to, but men are not? Strange.

In reality, we're white collar workers here and it's not as big of a deal for you and me. But for the guy down the street changing the oil in my neighbor's car, he has no such thing. He's hoping his wife gives birth on a Friday night so that he has the weekend off to spend with her and the new baby before he has to go back to work on Monday.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

I believe that Dads are responsible for children, and should be equal in raising them, but I fail to see what they can do for infants/newborns, that's really the mothers responsibility and domain.

I fail to see the reason behind a man having to take extended time off because of a new born. A man did not give birth, does not have to nurse, care, or deal with the medical issues that stem from having recently given birth.

True, 1st world issues so to speak. Blue collar workers have a vastly different perspective, but many of them I'm sure would agree in that maternity leave is really for women.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew

Premium Member

I think the discussion is wandering a bit too much here. I'll just say that I highly, highly disagree with you and leave it at that.

But a bit of snark first
quote:
maternity leave is really for women.
It sure is. Paternity leave... that's another matter.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to drew

Premium Member

to drew
I agree a father should have more time with the new born and the recovering wife.

I'd want the father to be there to run to the store and any other thing to better allow the wife to rest and care for the new born and not try going to the store whith the new born.

the first (however long it takes to recover) the father should be there to help and support them.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

It has nothing to do with bargaining power. In several EU countries, stuff like I mentioned (male maternity) is the law, in addition to 3-4 weeks of paid vacation, all kinds of holidays, etc., for every single employee. It really is ridiculous.

Whats really nuts is in some countries they can take a full year Paternity leave. (I know people I work with have done this, or I'm told I work with them but forgot who they were due to their 1 year off)

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

2 recommendations

Immer to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

but I fail to see what they can do for infants/newborns, that's really the mothers responsibility and domain...or deal with the medical issues that stem from having recently given birth.

I have no idea where this tangent started; however, I shall plead the case within your limited vision. Mom could really use the help. A woman with a third degree tear, or an overly ambitious episiotomy has limited range of motion for several days. Not everyone can have extended family come and stay with mom. Finally... mom needs sleep. It is good for the infant to be held by dad... but that is outside your vision, so suffice it to say that mom can sleep better if dad is holding the infant from time to time.

My firm gave me 10days paternity leave... to be taken in whatever increments I deemed necessary for the rest of the fiscal year. It was wonderful. 4 days spent to help the wife once extended family left... 4 days spent when the older son was ill (complicating things for infant and recovering mommy), and 2 more days for getting the newborn registered for insurance and getting a passport.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Started with this: »Re: AOL Email and other things to prevent you from being hired

I do admit to my vision being limited, since I can't empathize with any of the aforementioned scenarios, and knowing next to nothing about kids (other than having been one). I can see where it would be beneficial, but at the same time isn't that what vacation and sick days are for?

For the passport, couldn't you have just done that AFTER work?
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to sk1939

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

I believe that Dads are responsible for children, and should be equal in raising them, but I fail to see what they can do for infants/newborns, that's really the mothers responsibility and domain.

I fail to see the reason behind a man having to take extended time off because of a new born. A man did not give birth, does not have to nurse, care, or deal with the medical issues that stem from having recently given birth.

True, 1st world issues so to speak. Blue collar workers have a vastly different perspective, but many of them I'm sure would agree in that maternity leave is really for women.

I took a week off. Helped my wife recover from c section. Got to know my newborn son. It was fun and work. Not just sitting around watching my wife do everything. (She would have killed me if I did.)

My wife went back to work part time later. I did try to minimize my overtime. Sure I could have just work my ass off and let my wife stay home. Still there is more of a safety net with two jobs even if one is part time. Plus she liked getting out to work when I was home or a babysitter.

Since we both work if my son gets sick all of a sudden and can not go to school and our backups fail at last minute depending on what we have at work that day drives who stays home.

Plus when newborn sure my wife nursed and not me. Yet diaper changes, cuddling, washing up etc. can be done by either adult. Once the nursing stage is over then most stuff is interchangeable.

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium Member
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere

Bink63 to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

Started with this: »Re: AOL Email and other things to prevent you from being hired

I do admit to my vision being limited, since I can't empathize with any of the aforementioned scenarios, and knowing next to nothing about kids (other than having been one). I can see where it would be beneficial, but at the same time isn't that what vacation and sick days are for?

Couldn't you have just quoted my post?

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Bink63:

Couldn't you have just quoted my post?

Easier to provide the whole conversation thread for perspective.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

No. Passport office hours fall in the middle of my work day. Sick days and Vacation days (at my firm they all fall under PTO) are for routine needs. Having kids is anything but routine. Most fathers burn through all of their vacation and sick time for a baby... then we have to come to work when we are sick... because the rest of the year is toast.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to wapu

Premium Member

to wapu
Working for Yahoo in the wake of their latest patent lawsuit also seems to be a good way.

Yammer CEO says he won't hire anyone from Yahoo who doesn't quit in next 60 days

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
Do you frequently advise on things that you have no experience with?

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Not usually; I believe that as a supervisor it's good to gain perspective though.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

You want perspective? Get someone knocked up.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Not likely to happen anytime soon.
rocafellanrd
join:2009-05-04

1 edit

rocafellanrd to David

to David
said by David:

said by Thaler:

Show us on the doll where AOL touched you.

that made me laugh out loud... thanks!

It's been a shitty day!

said by aannoonn :

said by Steve:

said by dave:

On the other hand, this thread has provided a good list of "people not to hire".

As well as "people not to work for".

Make sure you use an AOL address so the people you don't want to work for won't hire you.

LOL LOL LOL LOL
rocafellanrd

3 edits

rocafellanrd to scross

to scross
I am still arguing for the worker just for the hell of it. I still understand why they would bin resumes from aol, but there are enough arguments to prove otherwise.
said by scross:

In short, just like a telephone number, once you've had an email address for quite a while and have handed it out everywhere, it's not always a trivial process to change it, forwarding options notwithstanding. So you're not necessarily doing yourself or the world any favors by tossing out resumes just because they have an AOL or any other out-of-favor email address on them!

It is just like names on resumes. It the name is Jose, Terrell, Wanisha, Qunitinta, lykesha, Kumar, or some other weirdo name, they will not hire. The resume is binned immediately. Those names are associated with "the ghetto" or poor class.

I will admit, I have a societal "normal" name. Its an irish name. I have irish on my dads' side. I thank the gods [Spartacus], my name is "normal", because the binning that occurs just because of your name doesn't fit the societal norm is even worse.

[Q] What if all those people with aol addresses, drop there aol addresses, come to gmail or hotmail, create an email account looking for a professional job or etc.

As a matter of fact, since this thread started, now everyones' fears confirmed what they were thinking. More of these individuals will jump the aol ship, come to xyz domain, diluting the so called potential "professional" applicants that hold a gmail or isp domain.

You guys, who are against @aol domains, would then start to argue that gmail, hotmail, and xyz domain are providing you with bad apples. We would be right back here again.

It is still discrimination. And in its rarest form of discrimination.
rocafellanrd

rocafellanrd to Ken

to Ken
said by Ken:

Let me make the same argument but with a different field and see how some of you feel about this.

I own a pizza place and I need to hire an additional delivery driver. I put out an ad for a driver and say to come in to the store during normal business hours and drop off your resume. During the course of people dropping off resumes I happen to notice what kind of car they were driving when they came in. I end up with 100 resumes for that 1 position. I remembered that 3 of the people that came in had massive front end damage to their cars, I assume they must have low driving skills based on the condition of the delivery method they used to deliver their resume. I discard those 3 resumes. Is that wrong or unethical?

What if he came in and told your about why the damage occurred in the first place; and how he was going to get it fixed. What if he got it fixed and then returned to your store.

Wouldn't that be the type of responsibility your looking for ?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Wait what?
you're telling him to go knock someone up just to gain perspective on what it is to be a parent?
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to rocafellanrd

Premium Member

to rocafellanrd
said by rocafellanrd:

It is just like names on resumes. It the name is Jose, Terrell, Wanisha, Qunitinta, or some weirdo name, they will not hire. The resume is binned immediately. Those names are associated with "the ghetto" or poor class.

If they bin resumes with names like you're suggesting then the person could sue for the company using an unlawful discrimination.

e-mail domain discrimination is not unlawful
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to rocafellanrd

Premium Member

to rocafellanrd
I would expect someone thats applying for a delevery job to have had the damage repaired before hand, or borrow a friend's car thats in better shape.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
At least one person.
Expand your moderator at work