Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

Cogeco's Broken Usage Meter

Click for full size

This is not the first time that they have been THIS far behind (once it was 4 or 5 days blanked).

What's the point in having a usage meter if it behaves like THIS ?!

How well can I plan based on incomplete garbage charts ?!

bigluke

join:2010-11-17
Oakville, ON

Yep, the meter won't even load for me. "Try accessing your data page later." Fuck off, Cogeco. Just F-U-C-K O-F-F.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

Click for full size
said by bigluke:

Yep, the meter won't even load for me. "Try accessing your data page later....

What ?

THIS page ?

They should add :

"We will still be milking/bilking your wallet if you exceed your cap while blind."

To be a bit fair here (now that the chuckle has passed), that last screen cap happened at 2 thru 5 or 6 AM of one of the days still not posted in the screen cap of the OP.

Wait, why should I be fair about THAT ?!

Trist

join:2004-04-08
Hamilton, ON

said by Davesnothere:

said by bigluke:

Yep, the meter won't even load for me. "Try accessing your data page later....

Same. Works sometimes. Same error as yours other times. Not accurate, except 1-month, since I've used it. Sends notices too late. Or doesn't send them and then you pay overages.

And that's on top of (at least here in Hamilton near Dundern) speed being at 20-30% of what it was 5-6 weeks ago, and before then I always was at maximum 1.7xMB/s. I did notice I had near full speed on 29 February 2012 so not hard to deduce it's congestion.

The point in my bringing up speed is that it used to be the last day of the month everyone downloaded all they could to use their allotment. Now, as it's been with me since a bogus overage last November, it seems many are backing off downloading on the last day in fear of overages, deserved or not.

With a flakey system like this Cogeco should rollover unsued data. I've been closer to 40 than 60 since I was charged overages simply because the measurement system does not work.

On a better note I contacted Bell and can have a much more generous package (something like 20 or 24 MB downstream) with a higher a cap and at a ridiculous low price for the first 12-months. No commitment required. Making a list of important email contacts to move them away then I've had it with Cogeco.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to Davesnothere

Click for full size
mine seems to be working...

for the record, according to smoothwall, my usage was 2.1gb down and 147.4mb up... i'd say its fairly accurate.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1

Its accurate today, as was mine, and most days it is. When I say accurate, I mean to within a couple of GBs.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Bear in mind, folks, that I'm not saying that it is necessarily inaccurate, but it can be AWOL for days at a time, such as in my 1st screenshot.

That's why I began this thread, to demonstrate that it just fucks off for a vacation here and there.

That's not good either.
--

"It's COLD in here, Mister (Premier) McGuilty ! - PLEASE, could I have just a wee piece of COAL for the fire ?"
-
NEW eBOX Forum ! (on DSLR) »ELECTRONICBOX

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to Trist

said by Trist:

On a better note I contacted Bell and can have a much more generous package (something like 20 or 24 MB downstream) with a higher a cap and at a ridiculous low price for the first 12-months. No commitment required. Making a list of important email contacts to move them away then I've had it with Cogeco.

I would encourage you to speak to an indie or two if you plan on going to DSL. Some of the indies offer FTTN speeds, with extremely large caps. Most do not meter usage during late evenings and early mornings.

Some of them are doing promos for March.

»[DSL] Lucky Month of March Promo

Eventually the honeymoon will wear off with B#ell, and you may well end up regretting your decision.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by dillyhammer:

....Eventually the honeymoon will wear off with B#ell, and you may well end up regretting your decision.

Especially when they find out that B#ELL is really B$ELL !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
reply to Davesnothere

Click for full size

I just checked the Cogeco usage meter again, and like the Pink Elephant, it's STILL NOT GOING !

Cogeco has to get it together on the accessories.

First their crappy non-functional eMail forwarding, and now THIS !

Their feed itself is solid and fast, but if they expect to charge folks based upon how much traffic they are generating, then it is only fair to TELL them how much they are generating, and do it EVERY DAY, not this 'once in a while' bullshit !

This is FOUR DAYS of DOWNTIME, this stretch !

Pathetic !

Time to call M. E. Quincy !

It's a DEAD PARROT ! (and THIS time, I'm NOT laughing)

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

Especially when they find out that B#ELL is really B$ELL !

And how. I've seen a lot of people, myself included, get rooked in by TGTBT start up deals only to suffer later. Double-billing, shock invoices, bills for stuff never ordered, credit card and bank account dipping long after accounts closed.... it goes on and on.

I haven't had a bill from B#ell since May 2008. Lovin' it.

Mike
--

cog_biz_user

Hamilton, ON

1 edit
reply to Davesnothere

Click for full size
mine's still working, but there is a slight skew for yesterday.

smoothwall says 2.7gb downloaded / 158mb uploaded, cogeco says 187mb.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by cog_biz_user:

mine's still working, but there is a slight skew for yesterday.

smoothwall says 158mb uploaded, cogeco says 187mb.

I have not so far tested MINE for accuracy, but just curious - have you ever seen theirs be wrong in YOUR favour ?

BTW, MINE has just caught up today, and now only owes me results for the 7th of March.

cog_biz_user

Hamilton, ON

said by Davesnothere:

I have not so far tested MINE for accuracy, but just curious - have you ever seen theirs be wrong in YOUR favour ?

BTW, MINE has just caught up today, and now only owes me results for the 7th of March.

i'm not sure if it's ever been skewed in my favour, but this the first time i've actually sat down day-to-day and verified it.

my stats for yesterday are posted... 3382/204 - smoothwall says 3.2gb/187mb... so it would seem my upload is off by ~50mb in the past 3 days.
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to Davesnothere

I've seen Cogeco's usage numbers skewed in my favour a few times. Rare, but it has happened.

IMHO, it's just as bad. Inaccurate is inaccurate.

Mike

cog_biz_user

Hamilton, ON
reply to cog_biz_user

yesterday's stats... 2297/128 - smoothwall says 2.2gb/115mb.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere

Click for full size
said by Davesnothere:

I just checked the Cogeco usage meter again, and like the Pink Elephant, it's STILL NOT GOING ! ....

....It's a DEAD PARROT ! (and THIS time, I'm NOT laughing)

Pining for the Fiords ?

What kind of talk is that ?!

2 days delinquent again.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

Click for full size

7th & 8th showing now, 9th owing - just checked again now.

Not sure when update happened but was not there yet when I checked between 10 & 11 pm last evening.

cog_biz_user

Hamilton, ON
reply to cog_biz_user

you got some bad luck there dave...

my stats for yesterday are in early again... 1668/155 - smoothwall says 1.6gb/142mb.

cog_biz_user

Hamilton, ON

1 edit

Looks like my luck ran out. No early stats today. I wonder if the DST change has anything to do with that, or the fact that today is Sunday. I'll check back this afternoon.

edit: (3pm)Here we go... 1232/131 - smoothwall says 1.2gb/119mb.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by cog_biz_user:

I wonder if the DST change has anything to do with that

LMAO... if I see a headline on the DSLr front page along the lines of "DST Confuses Cogeco Meter" I'm going to take the day off and get drunk on some cheapass wine.

Mike
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by dillyhammer:

said by cog_biz_user:

I wonder if the DST change has anything to do with that

LMAO... if I see a headline on the DSLr front page along the lines of "DST Confuses Cogeco Meter" I'm going to take the day off and get drunk on some cheapass wine.

You should be able to afford some notsocheapass wine, with all the cash you saved in your switch !

But not much surprises me anymore these days.

Maybe the birds and squirrels perching on or running along the cable to & from the pole are confusing GOUGEco's meter when it tries to count THEM TOO !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere

Click for full size

Still NADA for 9th & 10th.

cog_biz_user

Hamilton, ON

i checked my stats for yesterday this morning, but they weren't posted. they are now though... 1069/91 - smoothwall says 1gb/79mb... it seems mine is consistent to be a touch higher on the upload side.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Click for full size

This was at 4:30 AM today.

However, they had caught up all 3 of those days when I recehecked a few minutes ago.

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Bell Fibe
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Davesnothere

Glad I'm a business user, sure I pay a little more and my speed isn't as fast for their STARTER package, but I don't have to worry about the meter as I've been greatly over their 120GB cap without charge constantly. I am looking forward to switch, I remember when I called in to cancel my TV -- they were shocked that I found a better deal and were willing to give me a $2 monthly discount... That's right a WHOLE two fucking dollars if I signed a 1 year contract. I hope start.ca doesn't suck.
--
I love fish sticks. I love putting fish sticks in my mouth.

bigluke

join:2010-11-17
Oakville, ON
reply to Davesnothere

Yet again, the meter's been broken for me all day. "Sorry for the inconvenience" rings a tad hollow, these days. Cogeco, you're a bunch of crooks.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

I have not checked yet today.

However, if GOUGEco was forced (by a new LAW) to NOT COUNT the usage for the whole day, each day that their usage meter was offline for more than say an hour, or to waive the previous day's usage on any occasion that they had not posted that previous day's usage by a specified hour (noon of the next day, maybe), THAT would be fair by ME, IMNSHO.

n3k0

@teksavvy.com

If they did that, they'd have no additional revenue stream. The $$$ GougeCo suck, like some digital incubus, from the pockets, & bank accounts of their victims users, would dry up pretty fast.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Ain't it the TRUTH !