kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to cog_biz_user

Re: Cogeco's Broken Usage Meter

said by cog_biz_user:

I wonder if the DST change has anything to do with that

LMAO... if I see a headline on the DSLr front page along the lines of "DST Confuses Cogeco Meter" I'm going to take the day off and get drunk on some cheapass wine.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by dillyhammer:

said by cog_biz_user:

I wonder if the DST change has anything to do with that

LMAO... if I see a headline on the DSLr front page along the lines of "DST Confuses Cogeco Meter" I'm going to take the day off and get drunk on some cheapass wine.

You should be able to afford some notsocheapass wine, with all the cash you saved in your switch !

But not much surprises me anymore these days.

Maybe the birds and squirrels perching on or running along the cable to & from the pole are confusing GOUGEco's meter when it tries to count THEM TOO !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere
Click for full size

Still NADA for 9th & 10th.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
i checked my stats for yesterday this morning, but they weren't posted. they are now though... 1069/91 - smoothwall says 1gb/79mb... it seems mine is consistent to be a touch higher on the upload side.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
Click for full size

This was at 4:30 AM today.

However, they had caught up all 3 of those days when I recehecked a few minutes ago.

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
reply to Davesnothere
Glad I'm a business user, sure I pay a little more and my speed isn't as fast for their STARTER package, but I don't have to worry about the meter as I've been greatly over their 120GB cap without charge constantly. I am looking forward to switch, I remember when I called in to cancel my TV -- they were shocked that I found a better deal and were willing to give me a $2 monthly discount... That's right a WHOLE two fucking dollars if I signed a 1 year contract. I hope start.ca doesn't suck.
--
I love fish sticks. I love putting fish sticks in my mouth.

bigluke

join:2010-11-17
Oakville, ON
reply to Davesnothere
Yet again, the meter's been broken for me all day. "Sorry for the inconvenience" rings a tad hollow, these days. Cogeco, you're a bunch of crooks.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

I have not checked yet today.

However, if GOUGEco was forced (by a new LAW) to NOT COUNT the usage for the whole day, each day that their usage meter was offline for more than say an hour, or to waive the previous day's usage on any occasion that they had not posted that previous day's usage by a specified hour (noon of the next day, maybe), THAT would be fair by ME, IMNSHO.

n3k0

@teksavvy.com
If they did that, they'd have no additional revenue stream. The $$$ GougeCo suck, like some digital incubus, from the pockets, & bank accounts of their victims users, would dry up pretty fast.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Ain't it the TRUTH !

meterthis

@cgocable.net
Seriously forget broken usage meters. What happened with trying to do away with usage billing or at least give us more value for what we pay for ? If you were a person invited to do Tera beta testing this month and GW2 beta testing guess how much usage you would use up with just those two downloads ? These usage limitations are ridiculous and they actually have stopped me from doing a 7 day trial of SWTOR. I think my next step is telling companies well I didn't try this game or download this program cuz of my internet providers usage caps and therefore you lose the opportunity to make money off me. If enough people complain and companies see a connection to it limiting their profits maybe they will do something about it.

Trist

join:2004-04-08
Hamilton, ON
reply to dillyhammer
Thanks for the heads-up on Bell. I did some research on their CS and read many useful user comments here and on other forums and ruled out not just Bell, but DSL. I may try the new cable reseller at some point but for now I am sticking with the devil I know.

I did call in and, last week, have a service call that took care of my issue which was surprising to me since it had all signs of being another congestion issue but was instead only the the modem. The technicians replaced it, trimmed and recapped some cable and all was well again. Better speed than I've ever had, in fact. Also, from the Tech I learned that the higher end packages are, and have been since last year, available to me.

I'm still on what was Standard and so I am upgrading, this Thursday, to the Ultimate 30 for an extra $9/monthly. I only once used over 80GB (since the jump from 60GB) so I'll be able to do much more online with less worry about the meter, which I still don't find updates up-to-date. It's a huge difference in cap, more than I can imagine using, but I'd rather pay the extra $9 than what what I paid last November when I did go well over, with no second warning ever being sent!! And I did find a small utility, as it seems everyone else has, that does a decent job monitoring correct usage from my main computer (my netbook sees little usage as it's for writing and browsing, and neither of my phones makes much of a dent) so I can monitor myself and remain well under the U30 package cap.

Hopefully Cogeco will work on a better monitoring process but with the exception of raising prices they have always been slow on everything internet related so not holding my breath.

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2
reply to n3k0
said by n3k0 :

If they did that, they'd have no additional revenue stream. The $$$ GougeCo suck, like some digital incubus, from the pockets, & bank accounts of their victims users, would dry up pretty fast.

Digital incubus made me LOL.

But honestly, with an incubus you can assume you're getting some pleasure out of the deal. Maybe "Digital Prison Forced Loving" would be better.

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium
join:2006-08-11
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by ruddypict:

said by n3k0 :

But honestly, with an incubus you can assume you're getting some pleasure out of the deal. Maybe "Digital Prison Forced Loving" would be better.

I concur with your evaluation of the situation, Sir. I believe GougeCo is the worst cable company in canada, without a doubt.
--
...virtue gives you heraldry.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1
said by neko:

said by ruddypict:

said by n3k0 :

I concur with your evaluation of the situation, Sir. I believe GougeCo is the worst cable company in canada, without a doubt.

I don't know about you guys in ontario, but here in Quebec, Bell is worse....

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by Farchord:

Are you bragging ?

It seems to me that they each have flavours of BS in which they best excel.

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2
reply to Farchord
said by neko:

said by Farchord:

I don't know about in Quebec, but here in Ontario, Bell is not a cable company.

Pesky mod note: edited a bit of the edge.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1
Sorry, didnt know you meant in cable companies. Here in quebec we only have 1 cable company per region, so yeah, they're both the worse and best at the same time here

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Davesnothere
I am almost 9 GB over in usage this month and all of it has been legit, legal downloads. Seriously Cogeco usage is too low. Stop gouging us for money. I also don't like the idea of the meter being allowed to say I am 9 GB over when the meter wasn't even working accurately this month for people. Seriously please make an adjustment to March's bills because there were days where we could not check our meter.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere
Click for full size

STILL BROKEN !

2, now almost 3 days behind.

Unprofessional, and Completely Unsatisfactory for a company who wants to charge UBB !

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
The thing I never got is why it can be showing zeros for some customers, and others get their numbers. To me, that's the weirdest thing about it.

I have numbers up to yesterday (although I'm on a business account, I've seen the problem myself at times).

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
While on my business account I had no troubles in that regard, always able to see up-to-date numbers. The accuracy of those numbers is another story.

But there has been no end to the complaints here about easy, consistent access to reliable figures from Cogeco. IMHO, that's something a "world class" usage metering system would provide - something that would even come close to honouring the spirit of Weights & Measures.

Until an edict comes down from a regulator that grows some balls, this will be an ongoing issue for Canadians, sucking millions upon millions out of the economy every month, for quite some time.

Mike
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

GOUGEco's 'Gouge-o-Meter' (tm) is not even 'Hood class !

--
The expression 'Gouge-o-Meter' is a registered trademark of Davesnothere (MadaGAScar) Corp - All Rights Reserved

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 recommendation

reply to dillyhammer
Click for full size

Just LOOK at this BULLSHIT !

FOUR FUCKING DAYS OF ZEROS showing, DAY FIVE is almost toast, and how the blazes am I supposd to know how much I can download before today is done ?!

UNPROFESSIONAL CRAP !

As I stated above,

GOUGEco's 'Gouge-o-Meter' (tm) is not even 'Hood class !

--
The expression 'Gouge-o-Meter' is a registered trademark of Davesnothere (MadaGAScar) Corp - All Rights Reserved

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

It's simply unconscionable that an ISP can be allowed by law to charge for usage when their method of tablulating it is so flawed.

If we, the public, cannot know how many GB we have used, and these bully incumbent providers refuse to take seriously any metering which WE might happen to do at OUR end, then their caps mean NOTHING, except carte blanche for them to rob us blind (literally - no fucking usage meter is working when we most need it) each and every month, if we agree to conduct business with them.

SHAME !

MAJOR SHAME !

EPIC FAIL, GOUGEco !

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by Davesnothere:

It's simply unconscionable that an ISP can be allowed by law to charge for usage when their method of tablulating it is so flawed.

Yup.

I don't blame Cogeco. They're just doing what any greedy corporation would do, monetizing whatever they can, however they can.

The government is very much to blame here. The Ministry of Industry should be all over this, and they won't touch it with a 10 foot pole for fear of angering their highly concentrated media/telecom monopobuddies.

I'm also going to put a little blame on all these public advocacy groups that draw public funds and donations, make all that noise about affordable internet, and are strangely quiet on the whole meter shenanigans issue.

Mike
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by dillyhammer:

said by Davesnothere:

Yup. - I....

I blame the whole stinkin' lot that you mentioned.

Countdown to Freedom from being Gouged = 10 more sleeps.

My START-up is scheduled for the 12th.

BTW, : »Cogeco to START - Changeover Logistics

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

Jinzo

join:2011-06-14
Burlington, ON
I hear and see you pain. At work I constantly fight with Cogeco supporters all day. For some reason they think the service is great. Yet I watch them constantly checking the usage to avoid the Gouge.

Let us know how the move to to Start goes. I am going to wait to see if Teksavvy will actually pickup the Cogeco cable foot print. I am betting it will be a while, but hopefully things will change.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by Jinzo:

I hear and see your pain.

At work I constantly fight with Cogeco supporters all day.

For some reason they think the service is great, yet I watch them constantly checking the usage to avoid 'The Gouge'.

Ah Yes, the dreaded notorious 'Gouge-o-Gauge' (tm)

--
The expression 'Gouge-o-Gauge' is a registered trademark of Davesnothere (MadaGAScar) Corp - All Rights Reserved

YumYumHungry

join:2012-02-06
reply to Davesnothere
It may be beneficial to gather a large number of people to monitor the meter and post their results as Dave is doing. Then it is a documented issue that is know to affect many people. It's a great opportunity to have Cogeco fix the issue of the meter or having competitve caps.