« Makes Sense
This is a sub-selection from Dumb users

rtfm

join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC
reply to BiggA

Re: Dumb users

said by BiggA:

What dumb users who are in a FIOS area don't have FIOS already?

Well, call me dumb. I do not want to pay FIO$ price$ for access I don't need.

I also do not pay [through the nose...] for cable/fiber TV; I use an antenna.

I do not want deal with Verizontal's billing disasters for FIOS.

And I refuse to surrender my copper-based, works without any local power, phone.

I have friends who are getting FIOS because they now have no broadband options, but given their repeated, multiday, power outages; we'll swap the toy 7Ah battery for a 75 Ah deep cycle one, and they also have a propane-fueled 10kW generator good for~10 days duration at 8 hours/day. And, need I add, they have more money then I do.

Verizontal dearly hopes that they & all their neighbors will abandon copper, but I know that won't happen...

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Copper is obsolete. Most people aren't using landlines for their primary phone anymore, and DSL is slow as molasses.

FIOS is worth it for the speed and video quality. What a bunch of ungrateful curmudgeons you people are. I would pay a LOT for FIOS access.

If you're really that concerned about copper reliability, you could keep a POTS line, and FIOS for the other two, but you won't get the bundle deals. Or you could have a Verizon cell phone, their cell towers are backed up for 8 hours on lead-acid batteries, and have diesel power on top of that.

rtfm

join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

said by BiggA:

FIOS is worth it to me for the speed and video quality.
If you're really that concerned about copper reliability, you could keep a POTS line, and FIOS for the other two,

Bold text added. I'm all in favor of anyone wanting FIOS doing so; just saying not everyone will.

And rotsa rock keeping a copper POTS, the only folks I know are grandfathered in; She will no longer allow same.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

It is worth it. Period. People should all value good services.