join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to bohratom

Re: [HD] NEW HD Channels when ???

I can't wait for later this year when all the people that just recently were given 6xxx series boxes can't watch any of the new HD channels.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
said by JeepMatt:

I can't wait for later this year when all the people that just recently were given 6xxx series boxes can't watch any of the new HD channels.

You like throwing that red meat out there don't ya....

BTW any links for that info or is it just from internal sources?

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
reply to bohratom
Clearly I'm not, as the chart I'm looking at clearly states 41 Premiums for Verizon and 50 Premiums for Bright House.

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

YES MPEG 4 FINALLY!

shark2k

join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

How late is later this year? Second half? Second quarter second half? Can you give any idea as to that?

Thanks

-Shark2k

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·T-Mobile US
With all due respect, JeepMatt has doesn't know when we are getting new channels. He was pushing the envelope last summer that we would be getting this massive upgrade. It never came to pass. My personal opinion is, we are stuck with what we have and will have to live with it, unless Fios gives up Fiber Optics which doesn't seem to work as planned.

shark2k

join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ
said by Acct101:

With all due respect, JeepMatt has doesn't know when we are getting new channels. He was pushing the envelope last summer that we would be getting this massive upgrade. It never came to pass. My personal opinion is, we are stuck with what we have and will have to live with it, unless Fios gives up Fiber Optics which doesn't seem to work as planned.

Not sure what massive upgrade you are referring to, but we got 1.9 last year (it did take longer than anticipated, but we did get it). I don't recall JeepMatt mentioning a massive HD channel add though.

-Shark2k

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to FIOS4cable
Do we really need a massive HD channel addition

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
said by Jackarino:

There's probably up to a dozen networks that are often watched, which FIOS doesn't have.

PS: Has JeepMatt been hijacked by TJ?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
For me I have no complaints. But there are a number of non Hd channels none of which I watch

nyrmetros

join:2008-02-01
Oakland Gardens, NY
I would like gol tv and all of the military history channels to be in HD.

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to FIOS4cable
I say let's go further If a channel is in HD,what do you need SD for?

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

you mean all the new Byron Allen .tv HD channels?

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to Jackarino
said by Jackarino:

Thanks for a good laugh on a Friday.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

joe01880

join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

I'll believe when I see it. Think of the mess Vz is creating for itself still giving out 6 series STB's knowing they might be switching to a format those STB wont support.

And if you know something why not just say it inplace of hinting you know something the rest of us dont, if thats the case dont say anything..please!

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable
Joe, think about when Verizon changed their packages in 2010. Many of us were denied channels we already had, as a result. I know I was. I waited awhile to get a new contract. The problem will be when they don't have enough boxes to give out. But the reality is most users may not even notice, and never ask for anything.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to joe01880
Yes, there will be some growing pains with swapping out the 6xxx boxes, but it's not like this type of stuff doesn't happen. When Comcast all but shut off analog feeds in this area, they made customers get set top boxes. You didn't see a massive implosion of Comcast. When DirecTV went MPEG4 for their HD feeds, again, you saw a massive effort to swap out boxes, but DirecTV didn't seem to suffer for it. In fact, they keep growing like crazy.

That being said, both of those companies did it, I think, the right way. Comcast offered up those very basic STBs really cheap - I think the first was free. And DirecTV kept their legacy HD channels as MPEG2 for quite a while before finally pulling the plug on them, allowing customers some time to get the new boxes. There's no reason to believe that Verizon can't do the same thing. In fact, they DID do the same thing when they shut off analogs too - they offered up those free DCT-700 boxes.

Yes, there will be pain for some group of consumers - there's no totally clean way to get there - but there are strategies you can employ to get you there which minimizes the pain overall.

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to Jackarino
said by Jackarino:

Big time yes. I can think of at least a dozen channels they need to add.

If they don't at least add BBCA-HD and Cartoon HD by October I'm heading back to Comcast when my contract is up.
--
Verizon has become the new Comcast

Those .tv channels have got to go!!!!!!!!!!

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
reply to Jackarino
said by Jackarino:

The chorus of (4) voices (all on this board) demanding it is deafening!

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable
knarf, follow Twitter Joe's account, he gets pestered several times a day by different people.

JPL, I think the issue for Verizon is whether they have enough new boxes to give out. Right now, I think the answer is no.

FiosTV1080I

join:2010-09-06
united state
reply to Strommy
Lets hope these Channel adds are on before October, and not some crap channels we don't need like . crap channels should be taken off but unfortanley it won't be.

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to FIOS4cable
I say having SD versions of HD channels has to end.

I would start with the Premium channels and go from there.

skohly

join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ
said by chitchatjf:

Problem there is you would need to replace ALL the SD boxes with HD boxes otherwise those that don't have HD will lose a whole lot of channels. THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to chitchatjf
said by chitchatjf:

It's the same quandary as going MPEG4 and rendering the 6000's partially incompatible. Actually far worse, as you'd render tons of DCT700's and Moto 2500's mostly incompatible. MPEG4 is the way to go, and it's really on Verizon to find the inventory. Giving out free old DVR's isn't helping either.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
reply to Strommy
said by Strommy:

said by Jackarino:

Big time yes. I can think of at least a dozen channels they need to add.

If they don't at least add BBCA-HD and Cartoon HD by October I'm heading back to Comcast when my contract is up.

Yep. No Cartoon Network HD or H2 HD is a deal breaker for me; I've had Time Warner Cable's TV service for quite some time now because Verizon is too incompetent to provide the channels I want.

Surely there's not THAT many people subscribing to the premium channels and only watching in SD? They're all distributed natively on the satellite on MPEG-4 anyway. VZ could force everyone with a HBO/Starz/Showtime package to upgrade to 7xxx boxes and dump their SD boxes if they still have them and free up some QAM space by switching to MPEG-4 and killing the SD feeds.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

Giving out free old DVR's isn't helping either.

Maybe VZ is planning on collecting an upgrade fee for all those boxes as they are currently doing with the 7232? The more obsolete boxes they put in circulation, the more upgrade fees they collect.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
Expand your moderator at work

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable

Re: [HD] NEW HD Channels when ???

New HD channels? We are still waiting for FiOS to add all sub channels from the local NYC area broadcast stations.
You can add CBSNY+ (WCBS-DT 2.2) to the list.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
said by icemannyr1:

New HD channels? We are still waiting for FiOS to add all sub channels from the local NYC area broadcast stations.

I never knew "we" was afew folks in the dslforums...

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

The more obsolete boxes they put in circulation, the more upgrade fees they collect.

LOL... I can almost see the evil snicker on some corporate face.....Reminds me of "Wall Street" "Greed is Good"
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".