uniqs
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

[FL] Whole Room Rip Off

I called today about the whole room DVR, she said the install was not a part of the 10 day sale which is fine. $49.00 install fee. She looked into my account and was told $8.00 a month for the privilege of a few channels we don't get, nor care for.. now, if this was $2, $3.00 a month, then yes..

I'm curious to find out dish network's rates for whole house DVR.. especially now they have a deal with TWC, despite I go online, I still like the idea of local on the 8s

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

I'd like to see the numbers on Whole Home DVR and Trio and how much Cox has invested in this already outdated model, and what the projected break even point would be.

What percentage of current DVR users have upgraded to Trio. How many new users were enticed by the offering. It would be very interesting, I do not see much talk or advertising from Cox for this product. A 2-Tuner Whole Home DVR sounded inciting 2-3 years ago. The expectation moving forward is at least a 4-6 tuner Main/Gateway DVR with STB clients w/ or w/o tuners. Not leasing multiple DVRs at $20ea. I would have included TV Online/Anywhere or more OnDemand content, but I don't see that model with the ability to skip commercials. I tried Cox's TV Online tonight and all of the episodes were 2 weeks old, already seen them.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

after i called and talked to them, i politely declined the $80 install fee just for the privilege of paying them $20/mo more than i'm paying for my TiVo setup that does more and actually works (not that cisco garbage)

honestly i have a DirecTV installer coming out on Friday and if i can get a clean line of site, i'm going back to Satellite. Cox is just plain ridiculous with their outdated equipment and over charging for it, I'm just done. Hell my Dish Network DVR from 2004 does more than that box that's "cutting edge"

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl

MVM

FWIW I just switched our TV over to DIRECTV with their whole house DVR system this past Sunday. I have a HR24 HD DVR in the living room and a H25 HD receiver in the family room providing TV for our two HDTVs. I choose not to spend the extra $99 up front for their newest HR34 HD DVR that is capable of recording five programs at a time since we have no plans to expand beyong our two existing HDTVs. So far the system we have is working flawlessly and we are very happy with it. DIRECTV claims I can record up to 100 hours of HD on the HR24 HD DVR depending on the recordings I make. If I get even half or 2/3rds of that I will be really happy...

The installation was first rate. The installer was quite knowledgeable and helpful answering all of my questions. The only issue we had was getting the wireless Cinema Connection Kit connected to my home guest wireless network. I typically use a long 63-character random ASCII key to protect my two wireless networks. Unfortunately the DIRECTV box only can use 26-characters using letters (upper or lower case) and numbers. So I had to dumb down, so to speak, the guest encryption key. Its still protected with WPA2-PSK [AES] but with a shorter key.

I still have Cox for HSI (Preferred tier) and telephone (Premier) which I am very happy with.
Foxbat121
join:2001-04-25
Ashburn, VA

Foxbat121 to Rob_

to Rob_
My Deaktop PC and 3 Xboxes serve me well as a whole home DVR without the need to pay any fee to any body (Cox or TiVo) other than the $2/mo CableCARD rental.
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152

eh i'm still going to be paying ~$50/mo less with DirecTV for my TV portion than i was for just the cable part (not to include my TiVo subscription as well)

and not to mention all of DirecTV's HD is in MPEG4 1080p already, so the picture quality is leaps and bounds better than Cox as i recall from the last time i had them.

I am also going back to CenturyLink for 40/5 internet for $50/mo for a year (i had it before and it was amazing, no random slowdowns like my cable modem likes to have)

overall i'm going to be much happier with this setup IMO

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28 to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
Me and Robert Harron are on the same page.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ure=fvst
jchambers28

jchambers28 to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
Why does cox charge so much for a DVR? Their hard drives are too small and limited functionality.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
said by Rob_:

I called today about the whole room DVR, she said the install was not a part of the 10 day sale which is fine. $49.00 install fee. She looked into my account and was told $8.00 a month for the privilege of a few channels we don't get, nor care for.. now, if this was $2, $3.00 a month, then yes.

Even a $2 "because we can" fee is too much to pay when you've already paid for those channels!
dvd536

dvd536 to brad152

Premium Member

to brad152
said by brad152:

not to mention all of DirecTV's HD is in MPEG4 1080p already,

I'm pretty sure thats 1080P on just the PPV, not everything.
dvd536

dvd536 to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

Me and Robert Harron are on the same page.

(youtube clip)

I noticed he didn't address that miserable kludge known as a SDV tuning adapter.

Imagine this: you worked hard all day, come home to watch your shows only to discover your tuning adapter died sometime during the day and your show(s) didn't record

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

can one do paperview if one wanted to on a cable card? I don't want to because of cost.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
I jumped to DirecTV last May after I got a notice of another cable rate hike.

Honestly, I should have done it years ago. The DirecTV picture quality is light years better than Cox, the receiver actually works and doesn't feel like a flame thrower (and is much smaller), and the guide is far superior. In the just shy of a year I've had it, I only ever lost HD signal once during a severe thunderstorm, and I was able to switch to SD and still have reception...until the storm knocked my power out, so it wasn't really a big deal.

Cox is 10 years behind in the TV world.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
is the cox Motorola DVR boxes getting any better? Can u plug in a external HDD to them now or are they still locked down?
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit

ajwees41

Premium Member

no you can't
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152 to dvd536

to dvd536
I remember last year when i had them, everything showed native 1080 on my TV, and i remember having to switch to Cox and being pissed because of the horrid HD picture quality they had

i cant wait to go back to be honest

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

can one do paperview if one wanted to on a cable card? I don't want to because of cost.

you probably could with your current setup if you called in to order it[human involvement is an extra fee on top of the movie]

Cablecards can't do ondemand.
dvd536

dvd536 to brad152

Premium Member

to brad152
said by brad152:

I remember last year when i had them, everything showed native 1080 on my TV, and i remember having to switch to Cox and being pissed because of the horrid HD picture quality they had

That was probably 1080i, not 1080P
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152

reguardless the picture is still lightyears ahead of Cox

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl to dvd536

MVM

to dvd536
Click for full size
said by dvd536:

said by brad152:

not to mention all of DirecTV's HD is in MPEG4 1080p already,

I'm pretty sure thats 1080P on just the PPV, not everything.

DIRECTV only transmits 1080p for OnDemand movies and possibly PPV. I can't speak to PPV. Regular HD feeds are 1080i or 720p only. If you configure the HD DVR or receiver to display the native resolution, ie. Native = ON, the front panel resolution LEDs show ABC is in 720p, NBC is 1080i and so on. The OnDemand movie list lists many, but not all, movies in 1080p.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Every Showing in that list that states 1080p has a $ icon behind it, I assume that is PPV. Is any of the Free OnDemand content 1080p?

Is BBCA in HD yet on DTV?
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_ to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
What about rainfade issues? That's the main reason why I don't have satellite and the local on the 8s..
Foxbat121
join:2001-04-25
Ashburn, VA

Foxbat121

Whatever happend to infamous Satellite TV's HD Lite, e.g. instead of sending out 1920x1080 HD pictures, they send out 1024x1080 instead?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by Foxbat121:

Whatever happend to infamous Satellite TV's HD Lite, e.g. instead of sending out 1920x1080 HD pictures, they send out 1024x1080 instead?

AFAIK areas that are still MPEG2 are still HD-LITE.
dvd536

dvd536 to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
said by Rob_:

What about rainfade issues? That's the main reason why I don't have satellite and the local on the 8s..

Rainfade is waaaay overrated. now snow can be an issue but how often does it snow in florida?
john_fla
join:2002-09-10
Gainesville, FL

john_fla to Rob_

to Rob_
Rob, how is DirecTV w/local channels?

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to BryanInPHX

MVM

to BryanInPHX
said by BryanInPHX:

Every Showing in that list that states 1080p has a $ icon behind it, I assume that is PPV. Is any of the Free OnDemand content 1080p?

Is BBCA in HD yet on DTV?

I found two movies in 1080p that were on the free list. That's it although to be fair I did not spend a lot of time looking. Not being a user of OnDemand and not having a HDTV capable of doing 1080p makes this issue a moot point as far as I am concerned.

BBCA is not in HD on DIRECTV as of right now. This is one thing I miss from Cox. Being a big fan of Dramaville we miss that...
SoonerAl

SoonerAl to Rob_

MVM

to Rob_
said by Rob_:

I don't know yet. We had a rainy period on Thursday but I saw no issues when I was watching. I can update that later when we get into severe wx season here. When I had Dish about 9 years ago I really don't remember a lot of issues with rainfade. Of course I only had SD in those days and not HD. I would be more concerned about snow but since we are not here in the winter anyway that will not be an issue for us...

As far as Local on the 8s every once in the while I get a local weather forecast, conditions, radar, etc segment from the Weather Channel during the national Local on the 8s. Its not every time but if I can get a screen capture of it I will. Its also not exactly like the Local on the 8s you see on Cox but its close. I guess I just need to sit in front of the TV with a can of cold beer in hand while watching the Weather Channel for an hour or so and try to capture a short video clip of it...
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus
join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Hoss to Rob_

to Rob_
I live in Oklahoma as well and it's not just rainfade, from the friends I know who had either Dish or Direct...it's wind also, Alot I knew begrudgingly switched back to cable after one full severe weather season and many outages. Obviously, that won't be as bad in many other areas of the country. But it's the major reason I don't switch.

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

FWIW here is the "Local on the 8s" segment that I see on the Weather Channel on DIRECTV Channel 362. Its keyed to the Zip code your receiver is configured for. I don't know if everyone in the country sees something similar in their area or not. You would need to visit a neighbor with DIRECTV to see what they actually get.

»tinyurl.com/Local8sDIRECTV